What's new

Vintage Gillette Slim - Quarter Turn

I've just acquired a 1965 Gillette Slim. Pretty good condition and cleaned up very nicely, but there's an issue with the quarter turn to lock down the mechanism: it's just not there or discernible. The razor locks down okay, but there's no haptic feed for that final quarter turn. I've used some mineral oil on the mechanism, but made no difference. I have another Slim and a Fatboy, and no issues with either. Is this something I can fix myself, or does it require a professional tune-up? It's my birth year razor, and the OCD part of me wants it to perform as perfectly as it can.

Can not answer question by my Slim don’t Click, it Locks, and I am deaf when closed it works.

Maybe I do not hear distinctive CLICK, 🫠😢

I close what I call knurl tight just like other 3 TTO’s close nurl tight. A Flair, 47 Super Speed, and Older Super Speed.

No clicks, but closing knurl tight, blade no move.🥰

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Hmm what kind of feedback are you expecting?

Mine just closes down, then squeeks a bit (like brake pads slipping) if I force it a bit more.

No clicks as far as I know.

R

romsitsa

The quarter turn also depends on the given setting it is most noticeabl on 1, almost nonexistent on 9.
A "tune up" could help, but it could also be that the mechanisch is worn and even after cleaning there will be no quarter turn.
Until the blade is secure it does not really matter, imho.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
When turning the quarter turn distance, you can feel the tension due to the compression of the spring, letting you know that the razor is being locked.

The Gillette slim I received also initially had no noticeable quarter turn, no matter what the number.
That still doesn't stop me from using it, and as long as the door closes properly and holds the blades in place, I can shave reasonably. I've been using slim like this for a year or two.

But after a long period of lubrication with mineral oil from the crevice.
One day I decided to give it a try and put a little more pressure on the end of the spin and found a little extra distance that wasn't there before and a touch of friction.I added mineral oil again and rotated it repeatedly, the internal resistance continued to loosen, and some dirty powder came out of the crevice with mineral oil.
Eventually my slim regained full quarter turn mechanism and I'm happy with it now.

Thanks for the replies.

@lasta - what you describe is pretty much what my 65 Slim is doing, but it shouldn't close like that. Slims and Fatboys turn three quarters to close the bay doors, then there's a noticeable stop. A final quarter turn then locks the head mechanism in place.

On my other Slim and Fatboy, the quarter turn is distinct and fluid across all dial settings, whereas on this particular one it just doesn't have that 'stop' when the doors close, and then that quarter turn to lock everything firm. But everything is locking down, so the mechanism is doing its job. As @romsitsa says, it may be a worn-out mechanism and cleaning won't cut it, but it is locking down without any issues.

When turning the quarter turn distance, you can feel the tension due to the compression of the spring, letting you know that the razor is being locked.

The Gillette slim I received also initially had no noticeable quarter turn, no matter what the number.
That still doesn't stop me from using it, and as long as the door closes properly and holds the blades in place, I can shave reasonably. I've been using slim like this for a year or two.

But after a long period of lubrication with mineral oil from the crevice.
One day I decided to give it a try and put a little more pressure on the end of the spin and found a little extra distance that wasn't there before and a touch of friction.I added mineral oil again and rotated it repeatedly, the internal resistance continued to loosen, and some dirty powder came out of the crevice with mineral oil.
Eventually my slim regained full quarter turn mechanism and I'm happy with it now.
That's excellent to hear! Thank you - I'll continue with regular maintenance and cleaning, and hopefully get a similar result.

In every other respect, it's a wonderful razor.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’ve loosened up lots of these adjustable razors by simply ‘working’ the mechanism repeatedly in a bucket of hot water and Dawn dishwashing soap. Just keep twisting and eventually, it will be as good as new.

Top Bottom