What's new

Vintage Gillette Brass Safety Razor

Hey. I just picked this razor up at an antique shop. I believe it is a vintage Gillette brass razor. I found some of them on Etsy. I was wondering if anyone new more about it, e.g. year of production, etc. Would love to learn more about it.

It still looks to be in good condition.

1000006134.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Congratulations on the find. Many members here quite often restore the well worn cases. You could have a go. Search case restoration in the search box for tips.

Most, if not all, of the original gold wash is gone.

Polish it like anything else made of brass,
and it will be great.
Do you think this was a originally a gold plated one? I wasn't sure if the brass was original look because they are much hard to find on other sites than the gold plated. Based on what @Dyllern shared, it does look like the gold plated.

It sounds like many people in this thread believe the plating had worn off completely as well.

Congratulations on the find. Many members here quite often restore the well worn cases. You could have a go. Search case restoration in the search box for tips.
Thanks!!! I'll certainly take a look at some videos first before tossing, but given that it doesn't match the razor, I might still toss it. Not sure if it is worth it. Thanks for raising that point.

If you love it, you can always have it plated good as new for like 60 bucks .

Thanks!!! That's a cool idea. I will see what I can find.

Gold wash originally, probably three atoms thick. You can tell from the top of the bottom plate where a little is left. Lacquered over the gold wash, but that wears off too leaving brass. Those razors can be found ranging from with most of the plating intact to nearly none left like your example, probably due to the amount of use they got. Back in the 30's people didn't buy multiple razors as a rule, they were expensive and times were hard.

I can't stand the smell of brass so it would get plated if it were mine, but that's up to you. It will work just fine with a bit of polish if you don't want to spend the money, but personally I'd have it nickel plated, gold if I was feeling extravagant. UP to you, of course.

Clean it, polish it with Nevr-Dull or a Cape Cod cloth and use it. If you find that you love it, send it to Chris at Back Roads Gold for nickel or gold (original) plating. He does great work for 60 bucks.

Gold wash originally, probably three atoms thick. You can tell from the top of the bottom plate where a little is left. Lacquered over the gold wash, but that wears off too leaving brass. Those razors can be found ranging from with most of the plating intact to nearly none left like your example, probably due to the amount of use they got. Back in the 30's people didn't buy multiple razors as a rule, they were expensive and times were hard.

I can't stand the smell of brass so it would get plated if it were mine, but that's up to you. It will work just fine with a bit of polish if you don't want to spend the money, but personally I'd have it nickel plated, gold if I was feeling extravagant. UP to you, of course.
Thanks! I was really confused there for a bit. I appreciate your response. I think I will have it plated even if only for the purpose of extending the life span.

Clean it, polish it with Nevr-Dull or a Cape Cod cloth and use it. If you find that you love it, send it to Chris at Back Roads Gold for nickel or gold (original) plating. He does great work for 60 bucks.

Thanks. I was doing a quick search on this earlier today, before I even saw this. I didn't get the notifications for the thread. This is a happy coincidence because I only found Razor Emporium and they are double the price. You mind if I ask you a couple more questions.

Have you used Back Roads Gold before?

Is there a reason it is so much cheaper than Razor Emporium? My concern is the old adage "you get what you pay for." While I read his summary, it looks like he does the similar work if not exactly the same, I'm wondering if there is something I am missing that might explain the lower price.

Separately, my dad dug up my late grandfather's razor. It appears to be the same one that I bought from the antique store, but in its original case. Judging by the dead bugs in the case, it's probably safe to say it hasn't been used in a while (my grandfather passed away in the early 90s). This one appears to be in much better condition.

20240104_160252.jpg

I was going through the forum on cleaning vintage razors and was getting a lot of mixed messages. I am curious if anyone here has actually cleaned one of these before and how they did it.

While a lot people recommended boiling or using Dawn, 70% alcohol, or Scrubbing Bubbles to clean the razor, a lot of people also recommended against using all of the above for gold plated razors from the 1930s because it would ruin the "paten?" or the plating and I don't want to do that. Any recommendations?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Hot water and dishwashing detergent is fine. Never boil a razor, I boiled my Grandfathers cased Gillette Tech and boiled the plating off. I give mine a good soak in just off the boiled water in an ice cream container and then the second time a give it a hit with either a soft nail cleaning brush or a toothbrush. If they are really cruddy I will spray them with our equivalent of your Scrubbing Bubbles. Never please never boil a razor in a saucepan on the stove top. It is not required.

Thanks. I was doing a quick search on this earlier today, before I even saw this. I didn't get the notifications for the thread. This is a happy coincidence because I only found Razor Emporium and they are double the price. You mind if I ask you a couple more questions.

Have you used Back Roads Gold before?

Is there a reason it is so much cheaper than Razor Emporium? My concern is the old adage "you get what you pay for." While I read his summary, it looks like he does the similar work if not exactly the same, I'm wondering if there is something I am missing that might explain the lower price.

I owned a New Long Comb plated in gold by Chris at Back Roads Gold, and it was perfect.

I haven't used Razor Emporium but you may want to do a search to find out about other's experiences with them.

Hot water and dishwashing detergent is fine. Never boil a razor, I boiled my Grandfathers cased Gillette Tech and boiled the plating off. I give mine a good soak in just off the boiled water in an ice cream container and then the second time a give it a hit with either a soft nail cleaning brush or a toothbrush. If they are really cruddy I will spray them with our equivalent of your Scrubbing Bubbles. Never please never boil a razor in a saucepan on the stove top. It is not required.

Great advice.

The gold on vintage Gillette razorsis very thin and easy to remove by vigorous cleaning. Many examples have no gold remaining after normal, every day use.

Okay, just to be clear, I can use boiled water, but I should never boil water with the razor in it, correct?

The one from your grandfather probably doesn’t need anything more than a VERY mild cleaning with some warm water and a little dish detergent, based on its appearance in the picture. The blades will have a date code on them, that will tell you approximately when he bought them.

I wouldn’t even consider having that one replated, but if you want to have the other one done here is a thread dedicated to Back Roads Golds work, Chris replated my Father in Laws Gillette 195 that he gave me years ago and it’s beautiful.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Okay, just to be clear, I can use boiled water, but I should never boil water with the razor in it, correct?
This is what I do. I boil the water in jug/kettle and let it sit for a few minutes. While this is happening I may spray the razor in Scrubbing Bubbles and pour on some dishwashing detergent. I then pour the water into the container covering the razor. I never boil the razor on the stovetop, when I did that the plating came off the razor. Now I can only use one side of the razor or I have to find someone in Australia who may be able to re-plate it for me.

Top Bottom