What's new

VDH better than Mama Bear's, really?

Let's not kid ourselves, here. At $1.50-$2 the VDH is a much better value. Mama costs 4x that, plus shipping, and you don't get 4x the product. But VDH being better? I don't know about that one.
I can see how it would be boring. I like the scent, and I don't flit from soap to soap to soap, but even I want a change, or some cool scent, every now and again.
How's this for an analogy: a Miata is a great value and a solid performer, but it ain't no Lotus Elise. And the price reflects that. Of course, if your driving skills are not up to the Elise, it might not seem that way.

Kid ourselves, look at it again. The container is resealable and reuseable, secondly your missing your travel expenses to buy your VDH from your equation. You are telling me that your get in your car, drive to the store, buy the VDH, drive home for less than $2? The going government charge per mile is $0.55, so if the store is 2 miles away, that is $2.20 for the round trip. Now add in that you must provide a container, that you paid for somewhere in the past to put the VDH in? Let me guess you got that free....oh and your time is free, who is kidding who?

Looking at comparisons with a bias, doesn't equate to honest results.

Let's not kid ourselves, here. At $1.50-$2 the VDH is a much better value. Mama costs 4x that, plus shipping, and you don't get 4x the product. But VDH being better? I don't know about that one.
I can see how it would be boring. I like the scent, and I don't flit from soap to soap to soap, but even I want a change, or some cool scent, every now and again.
How's this for an analogy: a Miata is a great value and a solid performer, but it ain't no Lotus Elise. And the price reflects that. Of course, if your driving skills are not up to the Elise, it might not seem that way.

I would agree that it's a better value. Really, VDH is about the best quality to cost ratio of any soap I've tried.

But Mama Bear is pretty clearly the better soap, and in truth it's nearly as good a value. Sure, it's a bit more, but it's still at a quite reasonable price, and the quality is worth a buck a month or so. Really, I'd call it a no-brainer for anyone who's a fan of glycerin soap.

I have to give the to VDH personally. It's cheap and its gentle and it works great. Doesnt smell great but again its easy on my super sensitive skin.

Kid ourselves, look at it again. The container is resealable and reuseable, secondly your missing your travel expenses to buy your VDH from your equation. You are telling me that your get in your car, drive to the store, buy the VDH, drive home for less than $2? The going government charge per mile is $0.55, so if the store is 2 miles away, that is $2.20 for the round trip. Now add in that you must provide a container, that you paid for somewhere in the past to put the VDH in? Let me guess you got that free....oh and your time is free, who is kidding who?

Looking at comparisons with a bias, doesn't equate to honest results.

I have never gone out of my way to go get shave soap. I get it while I'm buying groceries, or anything else at the time. If I walk the extra fifty yards or so to the HBA section from the grocery side, it's not going to cost me anything. Shipping pretty much evens out what you get from the container. I have always lathered my VDH from that cheap lil plastic job. I see no need to put it in something else. At exactly $1.63 plus tax, I could buy 4 VDH soaps for 1 Mama Bear. And I'd have them in hand immediately, not 2 or 3 days later, for an extra cost. I agree Mama Bears is a better product, but I don't think my judgement is the one tainted by bias, especially if I like what I'm supposed to be biased against better than what I'm supposedly biased for.

Its all about what works for you and what you like. Some have problems with MWF, but I get great lather with it. I don't like the glycerin based soaps. As for technique, you've read a few in this thread and still YMMV.

wow... I'm able to get good lather with vdh... But with mama bear... Jeeze, i have to hose down the b-room to keep the lather away from the kids & pets!

Maybe your brush is too wet when you first go at the soap - try squeezing it out more before you load it up. If you make your lather in a bowl, add a few drips of water at a time.

Keep a hose ready.

+1

wow... I'm able to get good lather with VDH... but with Mama Bear... jeeze, I have to hose down the b-room to keep the lather away from the kids & pets!

Maybe your brush is too wet when you first go at the soap - try squeezing it out more before you load it up. If you make your lather in a bowl, add a few drips of water at a time.

Keep a hose ready.

I was gonna suggest drying your brush more. A squeeze and a few shakes. Then take it to the puck for 10 or so swirls (until the sound and feel changes). Then take it to your wet face. There's a soap lathering guide somewhere on B&B that tells you to do this and that's what I do with all soaps now. Works great

I have to agree on the "just a little water" at least to start the lather. I have been using a sample of the Basil and Lime soap and it explodes into lather rather easily.

I soak my brush in hot water while I shower and add a little bit (about a 1/2 a teaspoon, I guess) of hot water on my soap as well. After the shower I shake out the brush and pour the soap's water into my lather bowl. I proceed to load the brush real well (actually start to get lather here) then move to the bowl. Great lather ensues!

I like the sample so well I am putting together an official order now:001_smile!

I use VDH and like it. I put it in my mug and add a few drops of lavender oil. Then I microwave about 8 seconds. Stir with a toothpick and chill.
Warm your brush and squeeze water out. Put vert small amount of water on soap. Swirl about 10-15 times pushing lightly. Wet face very heavily with hot water and build lather on face. This makes a very nice lather and uses very little product.

Top Bottom