What's new

Van Der Hagan Razor Review

Though I'm sure the review on this razor has been done before. here's one more time.

Previously I bought a VDH razor that was poorly made, doors were misaligned and one fell off. I wrote to VDH, now part of Universal Beauty Products Inc., and they sent me a new one along with new brushes that I complained about. (review on brushes coming soon)

Received it yesterday via UPS. Opening box, it was well packaged, finish on it was good, without blemishes, doors opened and closed smoothly and aligned very well.

This morning I loaded it with a VDH blade (5 blade pack comes with it) and using their Boar hair VDH brush loaded with VDH soap. After my usual prep Lathered up and began my shave. To my surprise the first pass was equal to my Fatboy set @4 or 5 (usually shave with it set @7) Did my usual second pass and got a very close shave, I'll admit I was expecting a poor razor and blade but it is a very good razor for those who have not so heavy beards or for beginners. I had a Wieshi razor that I gave away, I'd say it is about equal to the Wieshi if not made by them. The blade I will say is a bit sharper than the Astra SP's that I use. I will I will try these blades in my Adjustable's and Weber PH and see if I like them. ( I wonder what 100 of them cost, I hear 5 are expensive)

I purchased a VDH razor. I compared it to the MicroTouch One Razor advertised by the pawn shop guy. I also compared it to pictures of the Chinese Weishi. It appears the VDH and One Razor are identical to the Weishi.

I no longer use my VDH. It was very mild, so it seems to be a good starter razor at first glance, but I had a problem with the short handle and TTO mechanism. I tended to hold the razor near the end of the handle and as I shaved, the TTO mechanism would start to open allowing the blade to become loose. I got a couple of very nasty cuts before I realized that this razor was an accident waiting to happen.

So no matter what the pawn shop guy says, I cannot recommend these Weishi style razors. There may be some TTO razors with closer tolerances that do not have the same problem as the Weishi style razors, but I am not willing to try them.

... I tended to hold the razor near the end of the handle and as I shaved, the TTO mechanism would start to open allowing the blade to become loose. I got a couple of very nasty cuts before I realized that this razor was an accident waiting to happen...

I've had that exact same problem with my Parker 76r. When I first started I read somewhere that you should hold the razor at the bottom of the handle. The theory is that holding it higher encourages you to use some pressure and holding it lower keeps you from applying pressure. I don't know if that really helps or not, but I also found that my TTO Parker would start to open a little and get loose mid-shave, leading to cuts. I also find, now that I hold my razors (short or long handle) near the middle, I not only no longer have my TTO loosen mid-shave, I have more overall control over the razor and I get a better shave. So, if you find the short handled VDH or other Weishi razors to have too short a handle for you to hold near the middle, it does sound like it isn't for you.

I have a couple of Parker long handled, heavyweight, three-piece razors that I love, a 24C open comb and a 98R safety bar.

I have XL hands and hate short handled razors. A short handled TTO just won't work for me.

If I got a long handled TTO like the Parker 99R, I could probably hold it a little above the bottom. With their moving parts, TTO razors are more likely to have maintenance and alignment issues than two piece and three piece razors. Thus, the convenience of loading a TTO is not worth it for me.

Thanks for your review.

I have one similar and that I believe is the same or similar...a "Mehaz". As you mention they are relatively mild razors but "safe" for the vast majority of new users who probably wouldn't react well to something more aggressive.

I guess these modern inexpensive TTO razors have a quality issue. When using the VDH Razor as with the Wieshi I held the razor at the end but also finger tips also on the barrel. The Wieshi comes with a Derby blade that is on the mild side, Mild razor + mild blade = shave for a peach fuzz beard, but using an aggressive blade with a mild razor equals a good to fair shave. For a $17 razor I don't expect the shave that a Vintage Gillette or a Weber PH and an ATT.
I must say though that the response after writing my complaint to VDH about brushes and razor on Monday (answer same day) I received a package on Friday with razor/blades, Boar and Badger brush, Shave Soap and Shave Butter.

If there was one word to describe the VDH, it's "okay". Not bad, not good either. Between the chrome and the handle, I felt like I was either going to drop it (again) or lose the blade by the TTO being slightly twisted.

I'd have no concern giving a Weishi razor to someone just starting out in DE shaving. I bought one as my second razor after the EJ DE89, and I think it shaves pretty similarly to a Super Speed, so it's safe, affordable, and is reasonably well-constructed. I could see someone who just wants the benefits of DE shaving at the most affordable price being content with a Weishi for years.

Glad you got a better VdH. Try a real Super Speed. You'll be pleased.

Have a few. nice razors, get great shaves out of them, a few of the Techs are pretty good too but i like the Gillette Adjustable's best. My wife seems to think I have too many razors.

The vdh was my first DE. Mine was fine. No problems with it loosening. Perfect blade alignment. No issues at all. It's just obvious it's not as well constructed as a vintage super speed that it is modeled after. That's why I don't use mine anymore.

Top Bottom