What's new

Using both edges of the DE blade

I feel a little dumb that as long as I've been shaving, I still don't have any method for using up both edges of the DE blade equally. I had a feather blade with about 3 shaves on it - I know most people toss them after the 2nd or 3rd shave - and I shaved with it this morning. I noticed one edge was mostly dull but the other edge was nice and sharp - so I had a great shave with the sharp side. I also became aware that I have no system at all and it is totally random which edge I'm on during the shave.

So is there any standard way of dealing with this (a routine or habit to get into) or everyone has their own, unique method? I think the whole idea of the Double Edge blade was so you could shave twice as many strokes before you need to rinse off the razor? Or was it intended to shave one day on one edge and then use the other edge the next day? Or use one edge for the left side of face and the other for the right side? Some blades have numbers so you can keep track of which edge and which side of the blade is which.

It's really tempting to buy a Twig or Thorn so I can just shave until it feels dull and not wonder if I'm using up both edges equally. :letterk1:

Last edited:
I feel a little dumb that as long as I've been shaving, I still don't have any method for using up both edges of the DE blade equally. I had a feather blade with about 3 shaves on it - I know most people toss them after the 2nd or 3rd shave - and I shaved with it this morning. I noticed one edge was mostly dull but the other edge was nice and sharp. I also became aware that I have no system at all and it is totally random which edge I'm on during the shave.

So is there any standard way of dealing with this (a routine or habit to get into) or everyone has their own, unique method? I think the whole idea of the Double Edge blade was so you could shave twice as much area before you rinse off the razor? Or was it intended to shave one day on one edge and then use the other edge the next day? Or use one edge for the left side of face and the other for the right side? Some blades have numbers so you can keep track of which edge and which side of the blade is which.

It's really tempting to buy a Twig or Thorn so I can just shave until it feels dull and not wonder if I'm using up both edges equally. :letterk1:
All I know is that I use the alternate edge for each stroke, and after every shave I replace the blade 'flipped' into the wrapper, so that I am using the opposite side during the next shave. That way, I kid myself I am using each edge equally.

I just got into the habit of it from earliest blade use. Seemed to make sense.

Last edited:

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
My habit is to shave with one side of the blade until it needs rinsing, then pivot the razor around so I'm using the unused side. Once it's "full", I give it a rinse.

Rinse/repeat.

As far as knowing which side of the razor I used last on my previous shave, I've never kept track of that. I just endeavor to use them equally during each shave.

@Alum Ladd I think there must be something to flipping the blade over between shaves. You are sort of "stropping" the edge on your face when you shave so you might as well face strop the other side the next day. I know I've read posts where people argue that it's the same apex either way so no difference - but I imagine the apex might start to lean one way and by flipping the blade you get it evened out on both sides. There is also the coating that you might get more life by using the other side the next day. There must be a reason some blades number the edges and sides 1-4

Last edited:
I use one side on the right of my face, then flip it and use the left side. When I rinse the razor, whatever side goes on the right will be flipped for the left side. That seems to keep even usage between sides. I don't flip the blade as I don't think that has ever been proven to do anything.
There must be a reason some blades number the edges and sides 1-4
I think the numbering on the blades has to do with quality control. If there is an issue during production, they can indicate it easily by using the numbers to indicate side and edge. Many blades don't have the numbers, some use letters or lines, and some only indicate 1 character on each side. Case in point, the Russian Astra SPs have 1 and 2 on one side and 3 and 4 on the other. However, the Indian Astra SPs have a "T" on one side and a "Z" on the other.

You are way overthinking it. Shave, Rinse, Repeat. It works for razors and brushes.

Shave with one side of the razor, until it's got stubble and lather build up.
Flip to the other side and shave.
When both are full of stubble and lather, rinse and repeat above.

No need to flip or handle the blade between uses, no need to track anything, no dice, no spreadsheets or remembering which side you used. When it starts to tug, after 3, 4, 5+ shaves, swap the blade out. Feel free to swap after every shave, some people do.

You can shave the entire side of your face before needing to rinse or declog the razor if you don't want to.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If the current process works for you, do not change anything.

If you believe that you should get more out of your blades then there are a lot of different things that many do but it doesn't work equally for everyone (corking, palm stropping, etc). However, you could do a lot of things and the improvement could be between none to minor (maybe major if you are lucky). Blades are so cheap that I don't think it's worth changing methodology (at least on my side).

The only thing that I do: I shave half my face with one side of the DE, rotate the razor 180 degrees, and use the other side for the other half.

Finally, keep in mind that technique, the blade, the razor, the lather, the surface shaved, the face(or what you are shaving), and how many passes (I don't think that I'm forgetting something) will influence "how many shaves" someone gets out a blade.

I just use my DE razor as a single edge razor. I started doing this in February to prolong the effective life of the blade I was using in the One Blade in February challenge and I kept up with the habit. This makes it easy for me to record how much mileage I have accumulated on each cutting edge.

Not saying this works for everyone, but it does for me with my hair growth type and my desire to be an Excaliburist.

I shave with a single edge of the blade 'til it's done, then swap.

Most razors have something that allow to to work out which is which, either major (like a big 'Gillette' stamp in the top cap) or minor (a stamp on the bottom of the end plate, a missing end cap). For the one razor I own that was completely symmetrical I used a permanent marker on one end.

I generally use one side of the razor until it needs to be rinsed. Then, after rinsing, I flip and use the other side of the razor until it also needs to be rinsed.

I've also seen many shavers use one side until it needs to be rinsed, then flip and shave with the second side until it also needs to be rinsed. Then both sides are rinsed simultaneously.

I would think that using one side of the blade until it's finished and then using the second side until it's also finished adds some variables to the life of the second edge because it's being dipped into water for multiple shaves before it ever gets used. But I'm just guessing because I've never done any experiments. I've thought that's one of the advantages to the razors that use half a DE blade. The blade can be mounted in the razor at a different angle than if a whole DE blade was used and the second edge remains out of the water until it actually gets used.

I use one side per shave. Most of my razors have a logo on the bottom of the base plate, so it's easy to keep track of which side is in use. After my shave, I store the razor in my medicine cabinet with the next shave's side facing up.

For whatever reason, I find it easier to remember to switch sides between shaves than between passes in a single shave.

All I know is that I use the alternate edge for each stroke, and after every shave I replace the blade 'flipped' into the wrapper, so that I am using the opposite side during the next shave. That way, I kid myself I am using each edge equally.

I just got into the habit of it from earliest blade use. Seemed to make sense.
Yep, that's pretty much the way I do it too. I don't want to discriminate against one side or edge. :smile1:

I am not aware of how often I rotate my razor from side to side, but when the blade is not working properly, it gets tossed.

Blade I use are 5-9 CENT per Blade, so the are not so pricey I sweat about tossing.

You guys are blowing my mind with the apparent group preference for swapping sides mid shave. It would never occur to me to shave that way. I’ve always taken a simple, orderly approach: Shave with the first edge for a few days until it hits its limit, then flip to the next edge until that one’s done. Between shaves, I set the razor on the stand so the edge I’m using for the next shave faces left (the natural position, as I’m right handed). If I get a certain number of good shaves out of the first side, I know I should be set for about the same number on the next.

Top Bottom