What's new

Using a blade longer than normal?

I usually have a two to three day break-in period on a blade where I’m more prone to nicks and missing spots because I’m going easy on it. By the time I change the blade at the 7 day mark, it’s really efficient and going smoothly.
I decided to start going 2 weeks on a blade. I’m near the end of my second week and it’s sgaving better than ever.
I know a lot of people change every few days.
I’d like to hear from you guys that go extended periods of time on a blade to get your experience from it. ;)

PS: Razor, Merkur Progress
Blade, Gillette Nacet

I use all my blades for at least 15 shaves unless they are super underperforming. For me, that was a month or more of every other day shaves. Now that I’ve started every day shaves, it’s at least half a month.

I usually only swap out the blade if it's either making irritation/tugging, or I'm having trouble getting as close as I want within a reasonable number of passes. If the blade didn't do well from the start, I'll swap it into another razor, just to be sure it isn't the blade pairing with a given razor. (Like the KAI on Mon/Tue, which left me a little irritated in my Karve...yet the Feather that went in Weds has been great both days).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've been getting an average of 12 to 15 shaves. Dorco's ..... maybe 1/2 of a shave, lol. YMMV for sure with blades.

I no longer run blades for extended runs (a week at most now) but it was also with a Merkur Progress I was able to get 43 shaves from a Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless, and the best shaves were between shaves 3 or 4 and on into the low 20's. From there I had to gradually adjust the razor upward, but the shaves were still very good.

I run mine for the week (5 shaves) and then she is gone for the next. Still working on my go to, but Astra seems to be the frontrunner at present. My super-sensitive skin is what makes me nervous about going any longer and I also get stuck with starched collars all week that makes my neck a disaster by Friday.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't have set times to swap the blade. To me that makes no sense whatsoever. If it's still shaving closely and comfortably, why sling it?

I swap the blade when it starts to feel a little saw-toothed, or when it stops shaving closely enough. I'm probably averaging about 15 days, but I can get ten out of most blades. I've only had two blades since last October (when I started counting shaves) that have gone beyond 20. They were an Astra SP at 26 IIRC, and a 7 O'Clock SharpEdge at 32.

I don't bother to count shaves just change when it starts to take more work than I want to put in. I would guess I get between 10 and 30 shaves from most blades.

Depends on the blade. I tried a Lord Rainbow for the One Blade in February Challenge, and it almost defeated me. Barely managed shave #28, it was pretty hard going by then.

On the other hand, aGerman Wilkinson Sword worked very nicely up to about 90 haves.

Change the blade when it's too uncomfortable to use or it won't get you the shave you want. In many cases this will be quite a few shaves for me, maybe fewer (or more) for you.

And check out the Excalibur thread in the "clubs and brotherhoods" section of Shave of the Day, lots of good reading in there.

I usually have a two to three day break-in period on a blade where I’m more prone to nicks and missing spots because I’m going easy on it. By the time I change the blade at the 7 day mark, it’s really efficient and going smoothly.
I decided to start going 2 weeks on a blade. I’m near the end of my second week and it’s sgaving better than ever.
I just set aside an Astra SP after 75 shaves. After a dozen or so, it was well-broken in, and pretty much leveled off in terms of feeling duller.
I've now got 5 shaves on a Derby Extra SS, and it still is drawing blood, but doesn't feel rough, exactly. In the interest of Science, I'm going to push on through with it in less aggressive razors and see if it becomes as smooth as the Astra SP did.
If it does not settle down by 20 shaves, I'll start using the veteran Astra blade again, and go for 100.

For me, most St. Petersburg PPI blades like the Nacet don't really hit their stride until ~10 shaves, and then hold a great balance of sharp/smooth for another 40 or so shaves. YMMV.

I too am a member of the sensitive skin club and wear a dress shirt daily. I shave 6 days then toss the blade. On the 7th day, I give my mug a rest. I use either an Astra SP or a Feather High Stainless. The Astras would likely go a few more shaves but the Feathers are done after 6 shaves. As always, YMMV.

I just set aside an Astra SP after 75 shaves. After a dozen or so, it was well-broken in, and pretty much leveled off in terms of feeling duller.
I've now got 5 shaves on a Derby Extra SS, and it still is drawing blood, but doesn't feel rough, exactly. In the interest of Science, I'm going to push on through with it in less aggressive razors and see if it becomes as smooth as the Astra SP did.
If it does not settle down by 20 shaves, I'll start using the veteran Astra blade again, and go for 100.

Wow, impressive. I have never been able to finish a shave with a Derby.

I too am a member of the sensitive skin club and wear a dress shirt daily. I shave 6 days then toss the blade. On the 7th day, I give my mug a rest. I use either an Astra SP or a Feather High Stainless. The Astras would likely go a few more shaves but the Feathers are done after 6 shaves. As always, YMMV.

Almost biblical! :001_tongu

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I averaged about 5 to 7> shaves for the first 8 months of DE shaving so the average shave is 6 and I try not to extend past that # unless it is just a exceptional blade.($.02-.04 per shave is a bargain)

Last edited:
Ever tried Derby Premium? Not as sharp as a new Feather, no question, but as smooth and durable as can be.

I don't recall what Derby I tried. It was part of a sample pack. I tried 2 of the blades but honestly could not finish a shave with them. After 2 years of sitting in a drawer I pitched them. Maybe one day I will give the Premiums a go.

I wish we had an objective beard density measurement that we could reference in our discussions. Some gentlemen have very dense and course beards while others have thin and less dense growth. Blade longevity is doubtless directly correlated to the type of hair being shaven. The boy behind me in my profile picture (my son) was 12 then (we were in Savannah on vaca). He is now 18. He has lots of facial hair but it is fair and thin. A blade lasts him forever. My beard is think and course. No blade, I mean no blade can last me more than 5 shaves. So, my point is that any discussion about blade longevity is virtually meaningless without a way to measure the challenge of the beard being cut. I do not want to side track the thread with this but if anyone has an idea perhaps they can start a new post about it and maybe it will catch on.

I change blades when they get dull. It really depends on the blade- a P74 or Light Brigade routinely lasts 25+ two pass shaves for me. A Feather or Super Iridium maybe 7 or 8 at best.

Top Bottom