What's new

Users of Progress that switched to the Mergress

I have been toying with the idea of converting my Long Handled Progress to a Mergress. Can you tell me when you either converted or switched from your Progress to your Mergress did it make:
1. No difference
2. Little difference
3. Moderate difference
4. Considerable difference

With your reply could you also let everyone know if you thought it was worth the $$$ and if you sent it in for a conversion or purchased a new Mergress.

Thanks for your input!

I had a progress and bought a new mergress from lees. The only difference it makes is in the way it looks and the calibration is right on. I guess its worth it if you really like the razor and use it often, so it was worth it to me because i use it a lot and like to get it set right were i want it and it looks better IMO but it will not change the way it shaves, if the mergress knob is heavier i cant tell the difference
proxy.php
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Why do you think you need to?

They have received alot of press on here.

Triad, thanks for the info! Adjustment of calibration seems to be the key in addition to the knob upgrade. The important part for me is no better shave.

Just saw this and will chime in. I bought a Progress and converted it to a Mergress about two years ago. The difference to me was in the balance of the razor. It improved it considerably for me. I also had a calibration problem with my razor which was fixed. However, I subsequently learned that there was an easy fix to the calibration problem that I could have done for myself. I subsequently bought another Progress XL and had that converted, also. However, I never shaved with that razor as a Progress: it went directly from the vendor to Eric for modification. Both razors are among my favorites.

I have received a new Progress Long Handle Razor within the last 4-5 weeks. There is no calibration problem (so far) and it shaves very well. I originally was going to convert it, but the more I looked at the photos of Mergresses, I felt they lost a bit of their character and charm. Eventually I grew into liking the plastic knob's retro look. I have no plans to convert it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I didn't convert, purchased my Mergress because of all the good reviews here - specifically because I read about some problems with uneven blade exposure which is eliminated in the Mergress adjustments. I could have lived with the look of the plastic handle, but not the possibility of alignment issues.

It is a wonderful razor. I have never regretted the expense.

Like the poster above, I skipped the Progress and went straight to a Mergress. I really dislike a razor that feels as if the head is the center of gravity. It makes the razor always feels as though the head and head angle are out of control. So, I always opt for the longer handles to move the center of gravity down into the handle, and with the Mergress, I chose the long handle and got the stainless adjustment knob too. It worked out perfectly. The center of gravity is slightly over one-third of the way down the handle. Knowing that the blade angle adjustment is more consistent is a bonus. Its a beautiful razor, and perfect in my hand. I wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input guys! I appreciate it!! From the sound of it (for now anyway) I think I'll stick with my stock long handled Progress. It seems that calibration is the biggest issue. So in essence you get the same shave one turn from zero vs. one and a quarter turns off zero.
At the end of the day it will be the same shave (I'm not sure if anyone recognizes me trying to talk myself out of the conversion)

Thanks for your input guys! I appreciate it!! From the sound of it (for now anyway) I think I'll stick with my stock long handled Progress. It seems that calibration is the biggest issue. So in essence you get the same shave one turn from zero vs. one and a quarter turns off zero.
At the end of the day it will be the same shave (I'm not sure if anyone recognizes me trying to talk myself out of the conversion)

Keep talking to yourself, however....
I converted a regular Progress via Eric and got the "knob" version. Very happy. While I heard of calibration issues, I never experienced them. However, with the mod, the razor seems heavier and I really like the balance point now (it wasn't a problem before, but the mod was an improvement).
I should point out that the changes in calibration are infinite on the Progress. In other words, there is not a "hard" click from 1 to 2 like with one of the Gillettes, but a continuous change.
It looks pretty good as well.
Between this and my R41, my razor RAD is pretty much under control. Was well worth the money. Good luck.

Keep talking to yourself, however....
I converted a regular Progress via Eric and got the "knob" version. Very happy. While I heard of calibration issues, I never experienced them. However, with the mod, the razor seems heavier and I really like the balance point now (it wasn't a problem before, but the mod was an improvement).
I should point out that the changes in calibration are infinite on the Progress. In other words, there is not a "hard" click from 1 to 2 like with one of the Gillettes, but a continuous change.
It looks pretty good as well.
Between this and my R41, my razor RAD is pretty much under control. Was well worth the money. Good luck.

Im thinking the conversion would ultimately satisfy my addiction to DE's. Then for my straight addiction all I need is that 7/8 with abalone scales..........

Some people swear they have a better razor for paying 2x as much for an "upgrade".

Others are satisfied, have no "calibration issues", and like the Ivory knob.

You're either one or the other:biggrin1:

I didn't convert, purchased my Mergress because of all the good reviews here - specifically because I read about some problems with uneven blade exposure which is eliminated in the Mergress adjustments. I could have lived with the look of the plastic handle, but not the possibility of alignment issues.

It is a wonderful razor. I have never regretted the expense.

How does the Mergress address possible uneven blade exposure (which seems like it's a head/alignment-pin issue)?

Last edited:
Some people swear they have a better razor for paying 2x as much for an "upgrade".

Others are satisfied, have no "calibration issues", and like the Ivory knob.

You're either one or the other:biggrin1:

Talk about instant clarification!!! Thanks for your enlightenment! I do like the ivory knob as well as the stainless knob. I guess I don't need the conversion! I need a Mergress ontop of my Progress!!

:crazy:

Top Bottom