What's new

Used Mystic Water soap for the first time today

I used Mystic Soap (unscented) for the first time ever today...and it was fantastic!

I soaked the brush (badger) for 5 mins, got rid of some of the water by shaking it twice, swirled the brush on the soap for 30-45 secs...and face lathered.

It lathered SUPER easy and I actually think I today had the best lather I've ever had (comparing to ARKO and Proraso White).
The shave was super smooth and I even went ATG on my 3rd pass (something I've stayed away from for a week due to some razor burns) - and it all went and felt SO smooth. My face feels great and I have a super shave.

Fantastic product :)

P.S: Thanks to Nick Danger who PIF'd his every so slightly used tub of the soap!!

Last edited:
Darkbulb, you are now a light bulb. Seriously, welcome to one of the best shave soaps on the planet. Be prepared to compare most of what you buy from now on to Mystic Water. Don't be too disappointed when some of them are found a bit lacking.

Cheers, Todd

I bought a lot of samples when I first started DE shaving earlier this year. Lo and behold I tried some Mike's samples and decided they weren't for me. What I didn't realize was not all the samples were Mikes. I bought so much stuff when I first started, I just got confused. They all were put away in a drawer.

Fast forward a couple weeks ago. I discovered the samples and figured I give it another go. Bergamot, Cedarwood & Juniper. Fantastic lather and easier than I remembered from my previous sample. Wonderful shave. Hmmm. I decided to buy a puck. Went to mikes website and couldn't find it. I figured the scent had been discontinued. I was crushed. Why had I waited so long to try this sample!

So I'm wasting time online the other day and after reading such great things about Mystic Water decide to check out their website. Do my eyes deceive me? There in front of me us the Bergamot soap I tried and loved.

Long story short... Tried Mikes sample, didn't like. Waited nine months, got confused but discovered Mystic Water. Epic fail turned into awesome win!

To rain on the parade of all the MW lovers, count me as among the unimpressed. Much too difficult to lather and what lather
resulted was, well, poor.
I know all the stock responses, most of which will point to me, my water, my technique, my diet, and my dog...but if it's possible
to get great lather from the likes of D.R. Harris, AOS (tallow), MWF and several variants of Haslinger, maybe my dog or my
water aren't really the blame...maybe it IS the soap.
In fact, the instructions Michelle provides with the soap provided the worst lather. The best I could manage, which was still inferior
to that from the above-referenced soaps, came from disregarding those notes.
Hey, it sometimes happens that someone dissents from the prevalent views...but it shouldn't detract from your euphoric views!
Enjoy your MW!

Jrtaster, dissenting opinions are always welcome. So many great soaps out there.

By the way, I can wholeheartedly agree on the Haslingers. Great slick yogurt lather. I just wish it came in some different scents. I haven't tried the others you mentioned.

Edited: I have MWF and while it is a great soap it isn't the easiest to lather. Scent is also "soapy" for lack of a better description. But it sure has a loyal following.

Last edited:
Dissenting opinions are always welcome but you have to consider one thing...
If a whole bunch of people other than you can get a great lather out of the soap, it isn't the soap hat's at fault...

I'm a complete n00b and got the best lather I've ever had from any soap using Mystic Water's Unscented. Loved it.

But having said that, maybe the production is inconsistent yielding soaps that varies greatly so that some people get the easy-to-lather ones..and some gets the near-impossible-to-lather ones?

You started with Sensitive Skin formula??? Prepare to be disappointed by almost everything else.

I'm super thrilled I "found" this soap. It may even displace Arko from being number 1 ;-)

It's now late in the evening and my face feels great. The shave was really close. Maybe the best shave so far and I do contribute quite a bit of that...to the soap.

Dissenting opinions are always welcome but you have to consider one thing...
If a whole bunch of people other than you can get a great lather out of the soap, it isn't the soap hat's at fault...
so you ARE blaming my poor dog! Millions of Frenchmen eat garlicky snails...it must be me alone who finds them disgusting??
actually, from other comments around various shaving forums, perhaps my poor lathering experience isn't all that uncommon.
but...those who love MW thereby support an innovative and dedicated entrepreneur in Michelle. without a spirit of enthusiasm
and willingness to try (and possibly fail) she and others bring to our little world, it would indeed be diminished.

so you ARE blaming my poor dog! Millions of Frenchmen eat garlicky snails...it must be me alone who finds them disgusting??
actually, from other comments around various shaving forums, perhaps my poor lathering experience isn't all that uncommon.
but...those who love MW thereby support an innovative and dedicated entrepreneur in Michelle. without a spirit of enthusiasm
and willingness to try (and possibly fail) she and others bring to our little world, it would indeed be diminished.

Lol, no no not at all :)
I'm saying maybe the soaps are produced with some variations maybe..?
OR maybe they are very sensitive to the type of water (hard/soft) being used.

P.S: I do love escargots..especially in a mild garlic butter sauce...mmmmm.

Joke:
"Why did the snail paint a big "S" on the side of his car?"
"So that everyone would say... "Look at that s-car-go" .....

Amazing- I am now working my way through a tub of Mystic Water Wild Lavender, the famous Mitchell's Wool Fat and three samples of Sterling soap and none of them are in the same league with either Arko or Mike's IMO. In fact, Mike's soap is the slickest, slimiest (I mean that in a good way) of any soap I have tried so far. There are other soaps and creams I like, mostly TOBS and Proraso sandelwood, but Mike's is just the best lubricating soap of any kind I have tried yet.

It is surprising how so many of us have different and sometimes, exact opposite, experiences with the same product.

Brian

<snip>

Long story short... Tried Mikes sample, didn't like. Waited nine months, got confused but discovered Mystic Water. Epic fail turned into awesome win!

Amazing- I am now working my way through a tub of Mystic Water Wild Lavender, the famous Mitchell's Wool Fat and three samples of Sterling soap and none of them are in the same league with either Arko or Mike's IMO. In fact, Mike's soap is the slickest, slimiest (I mean that in a good way) of any soap I have tried so far. There are other soaps and creams I like, mostly TOBS and Proraso sandelwood, but Mike's is just the best lubricating soap of any kind I have tried yet.

Damn you, now I feel like I have to try Mike's soaps as well - if he has a completely unscented one for mah poor sensitive baby face :)

i think the point was that not everyone has a problem with her soaps, so it's obviously not the soap that's the problem. Sorry it didn't work for you, more beer for us

So funny how much mileage varies. I just got a few samples of Mystic Waters and, like jrtaster, was very underwhelmed. Even after watching the videos, with the Adirondack Jack, I never got anything other than an airy weak lather. I just finished that sample and loaded in the Jeff's Lavender. I had higher hopes for it because of the lanolin content and have had better experiences to date. In part, rather than simply face or bowl lathering, I mug lathered on top of the sample. While I used quite a bit of product, this yielded a more impressive, although not stellar, lather. Still have some shaves left so we'll see how it goes.

In other threads you acknowledge you get good lather from MWF yet some others don't. What prevents them from achieving it? Answer that and you have the answer to your MW question.

I had a very difficult time with MW in the beginning and eventually planned to BST it. But then i gave it another shot and it just clicked. It's truly sublime when you figure it out. Currently my favorite scent is Cedar and Sage.

Top Bottom