What's new

Upper lip ATG?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I really think this has to do with how full your lips are. If you have full lips, it's more likely you might catch your lip when you go ATG. I have kind of thick lips. My father on the other hand, has very thin lips and has been compared to a turtle by some people.

View attachment 1094296
Your dad looks like a turtle to me anyway. I'm thinking he should use more sun block!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I always want to go ATG on the upper lip and for me that is the litmus test. Two classes of razors pass that test for me. Tightly clamped DE (Feather AS-D2, Schone (Fatip) or SE such as an Injector or most Gems.

If you have a DE you will quickly know if you have a well clamped blade or not. If not, it will want to catch and skitter and bite.

Tightly clamped DE (Feather AS-D2, Schone (Fatip) or SE such as an Injector or most Gems.

If you have a DE you will quickly know if you have a well clamped blade or not. If not, it will want to catch and skitter and bite.
Good blade clamping yields better control. Choice of Top Cap can enhance blade clamping. My current favorite is the top cap from Yaqi's Kight Helmet which has improved blade rigidity on all my razors and has prevented blade skipping and has given me some superb shaves

I thought fool's pass pertains to straight razor shaving talk. Not the humble DE.
That would be my understanding of where that phrase originated; straight razor or shavette type which does not have a safety bar. Any razor with a safety bar should not be a problem with a south > north pass on the upper lip.

That would be my understanding of where that phrase originated; straight razor or shavette type which does not have a safety bar. Any razor with a safety bar should not be a problem with a south > north pass on the upper lip.
...but, as has already been said, with a DE razor you can't see the edge of the comb...even more so a 'Fool's Pass"

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
That's the spot on my face that will not allow ATG without irritation. I get good results with WTG, WTG, blade buffing XTG.

My whole shave is always ATG including the upper lip, I use what I call a guillotine stroke on most of my shave. No irritation.

ATG with 37c? Sure. But be sure to skin stretch and flatten your upper lip. Making an ”Oh face” helps. (That’s not just a joke.)

The combination of having a thick, curly beard with somewhat sensitive skin unfortunately, does not allow me to comfortably shave against the grain regularly. I’ve learned to comfortably get very close to completely smooth, but I can always feels the slightest bit of stubble especially if I’m shaving daily when I rub my face against the grain. If I skip days or go several days without shaving, the shaves are always closer and even more comfortable.

I have always done WTG/XTG/ATG for my entire face and have used a SR exclusively for several years.This has provided me a fantastic BBS shave every time. I have found as of recent that my upper lip is becoming irritated and dry following my shave irrespective of razor and/or soft goods used. I have been experimenting with limiting the upper lip to WTG only, which seems to be resolving my issue.

I always do ATG on the upper lip, using Muhle R41 / R89, no problem.

The other day I've done the "fool's pass" with Parker SRX shavette, too. It wasn't as easy as with DE, but it's due to my lack of skill with a shavette.

At the end of the day, (not) doing a pass, or not getting irritation, cuts, nicks is only a matter of technique and nothing else. If you have the desire to learn, you'll eventually succeed. As always, YMMV.

Remember no ATG = no BBS.

Top Bottom