What's new

Upper lip ATG?

The combination of having a thick, curly beard with somewhat sensitive skin unfortunately, does not allow me to comfortably shave against the grain regularly. I’ve learned to comfortably get very close to completely smooth, but I can always feels the slightest bit of stubble especially if I’m shaving daily when I rub my face against the grain. If I skip days or go several days without shaving, the shaves are always closer and even more comfortable.

My story - somewhat sensitive skin, "copper wire" beard. To get a BBS I have to give it 3-4 days rest. Then I get glass-smooth shave. Luckily, I only shave about twice a week, so always go for the ATG / BBS, comfortably.

Used the Rockwell R3 plate instead of the usual R5, and tried going ATG on the upper lip and the always troublesome side-of-mouth area. I got away with it without any bloodshed, having rehearsed the moves with an unloaded razor.

It's definitely smoother than just WTG + 2 XTG.

If I can repeat that 5 or 6 times without any mishaps, maybe I can make it routine.

As far as I know "fool's hand" (that's the term I knew) is only in regards to straight razor users. And not because you can cut your lip but because the blade can slip and cut your nose. That's the reason why I didn't go ATG with the shavette I bought a while back. I noticed some do it by holding the blade tightly with two hands so it doesn't slip and then nodding their heads, like another user said.
I don't have a problem going ATG with a safety razor and always do it to get a smooth shave. Sometimes, if it's a rough shave I may end up with a bit of irritation or some weepers, but those are gone quickly.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
After lathering up, I shave my face WTG and leave my upper lip untouched so the lather has extra time on target. Then I relather my whole face and do a second pass, this time ATG, and, again, leave my upper lip untouched.

Finally, I grab the magnifying mirror and blade buff my upper lip WTG. As I use mild razors, an Oristo and a Mamba (and soon a Feather), blade buffing the lip is safe, easy, bloodless and effective--at least for me. Moreover, the heads of my razors are thin enough to get right up to my nose, so nothing goes unshorn.

Applying some GFT SkinFood (or pre shave/moisturiser) underneath the lather, especially for those whiskers tightly tucked up under the nose improves slickness and makes bloodless ATG shaving possible. In my case it's those whiskers, and the direction in which they grow,where WTG/XTG doesn't shave them close enough so I have to go ATG to obtain a close shave

lots of good thoughts here... thanks.... one sticks out.. although I was ready to toss on the towel on pre-shaves I may try to use it on my upper lip immediately prior to the ATG pass. Honestly, I'm not expecting a huge difference but it'll be worth a try since I have some in my cabinet.

I just replied to another, who had a similar question, and just want to share a recent experience.

I’m currently doing a big blind test of 63 blades and the other day I experienced effortless ATG on the upper lip and chin area. That was the first time I ever experienced that. First. Time. Ever.

So, with the right blade, it just might make a huge difference. The key though is to find that right blade. It is likely unique for each person. It might take a big sample test size to to find that right blade.

I always thought it was going to be a chore, and a risk, doing ATG on my problem areas but now I know there is a blade that will take care of it. (The only problem is I won’t know what blade this is until I finish all my testing for results to be revealed)

I’ve heard it called ‘the masters pass’. I like this name I think it’s more accurate. I personally go atg on my top lip with my straight razor, I do it with my R 41 too. It took weeks to learn how to do it safely but if I want a close shave it has to be done.

Against the grain on upper lip is a must for me BBS. Depends on the razor for me though. I can smoothly pull it off with the r41, but not the Charcoal lvl3. The lvl3 tugs ATG and i caught my lip with the blade once so I won't be doing that again.

I use only DE razors (mostly vintage Gillettes now), and do WTG followed by ATG - head, face, upper lip, the whole shebang. Very rarely a problem, and if so it's usually with a new razor at the back of my head where I can't see.

As to my upper lip, for some odd reason the left hand side is always more difficult to get a clean shave on than the right hand side. Apparently I am unsymmetrical! :letterk1:

If I can repeat that 5 or 6 times without any mishaps, maybe I can make it routine.

Still teaching myself to do upper lip, side of mouth and chin area ATG. Until it feels like normal routine, I'm using my chrome Rockwell on R1 for this part, which isn't at all efficient, but is unlikely to nick me. Hope I can escalate to R2 before very long.

The results are encouraging, anyway; still smooth after ~ 12 hours.

As to my upper lip, for some odd reason the left hand side is always more difficult to get a clean shave on than the right hand side.

I'm very much right-handed, so I do the left side of my face with my right hand, and find it less easy, including this new bit.

I think the ship has sailed on taking up ambidextrous shaving.

I'm very much right-handed, so I do the left side of my face with my right hand, and find it less easy, including this new bit.

I think the ship has sailed on taking up ambidextrous shaving.

In my case it's only the upper lip. The rest of my face and head shave the same, left or right.

My favorite feeling after a shave is a glassy smooth upper lip. I’ve had trouble with this off & on since beginning DE shaving—weepers & irritation. Lately I’ve come to realize my best results have been with (either or both):
  • Very steep angle. Obnoxious since handle gets close to eyes. Moderate to shallow angle is a more pleasant way to hold razor, but riding the cap brings drama.

• Finish with a 2nd razor or very low setting on adjustable. Mild razor razor with mild blades (ATT M1 with Derby blade) or Fatboy on 2.

Perfection for this daily ‘master pass’ ritual still eludes me, though.

My favorite feeling after a shave is a glassy smooth upper lip

Yes, and it gives me something to aspire to.

Tried using the Merkur 23C on Sunday, for upper lip and "problem area" ATG. Got a result as good as the Rockwell on R1, but it was more efficient, and did it with less going over the same area multiple times.

This is good, since it reduces the chances of getting nicked by one bungled stroke. The thin 23C head is also a lot more agile than the Rockwell's.

That long handle is not great for ATG though, so I'm going to try using the Merkur head on a short old Gillette handle.

This is starting to feel a lot more like routine, and much less like "this ATG is a bad idea because you are going to get cut", so maybe competence is developing.

I do the fool's pass with a straight razor. My method is pretty unconventional though. First I go ATG, XTG and then finish WTG. I always use light pressure with a bit of scything motion.

Also I always keep my straight razors sharp and let the blade do the work for me.

Top Bottom