What's new

Upper lip ATG?

My first major cut came from ATG on the upper lip. Sliced open the lip real nicely. I never go ATG on upper lip now as I've learned my lesson.

As others have said, I have to go ATG on my problem spots: upper lip and just below jawline of my chin. I don't chase BBS, but even approaching DFS is impossible unless I go ATG in those spots. The rest of my shave areas I can go WTG & XTG for a DFS/BBS shave (I do not have a thick growth).

My skin is pretty sensitive, and can become very red and irritated if I shave any more than 1 pass WTG, using both double edge and modern multiblade razors. For that reason, I've become more fond of multi-blade disposable and cartridge razors, which I think give me a more thorough shave after one WTG pass, compared to my vintage Gillette DE razors. After I complete my full WTG pass with either a DE or multiblade razor, I generally go ATG on my upper lip to clean up the remaining stubble, and sometimes around my chin as well. I also frequently open my mouth at the end of a shave to trim off any remaining hair at the edges of my mouth.

Oh hell no! Reading about the Fool's Pass early on in my time here stuck with me; I have not and will not bother attempting it as my current routine works very well for me.

Nine times out of ten WTG followed by inside-out XTG clears out all of my stubble on my moustache (ATG second pass everywhere else). There is no sense in doing another pass when my stubble is gone. If I take more than a day off and need to do three passes, upper lip's second pass is outside-in XTG and third is inside-out XTG.

With a safety razor, ESPECIALLY a DE razor, I can go WTG, XTG, ATG every time with no issues, hassles, or regrets. I am only limited in my experience over the past 11 years with the EJ DL89, Merkur 34C, & the Gillette Superspeed. I would categorize them as mild razors, but I dare say shaving a touch aggressively with a milder razor boosts my confidence more than shaving timidly with a more aggressive razor. There’s a solid reason why I will still shave with a Gem Junior, but not a Gem Micromatic.
Micromatic has a closed comb, Gem Jr has an open comb, yet the Micromatic (IMHO) is the more aggressive razor. I don’t want ANYTHING in my rotation I can’t make a ATG pass with. My vintage German straight Ive been learning on is a 4/8 sport- I can go ATG but carefully. I’d recommend trying a milder razor just so you can see what it feels like to go ATG with no worries.

great insights everyone. thanks.. I now know that I am not the only one that feels this way and I suppose that it's called a fools pass says it all (never heard that term before) I just ordered a Timeless Ti .95 open comb and am really looking forward to using it and upgrading from my 37c. I may try an ATG just to see and if the experience is the same I may simply forgo that last and final pass. Thanks again!

I do the "fools pass" after a WTG pass with my SR using a One Blade Core or my beloved Valet Auto Strop. Both use the Feather SS blade. I don't have much of a problem with nicks or cuts but the G.D. safety bar on the Core (or the open comb on the Auto Strop) prevents me from getting all the way under my nose. As it is the second pass, it isn't that big of a deal. I have one of those Old Italian Man pencil mustaches so there is a lot of detail work in there which the SR is ideal for.

Yep always do ATG on top lip. Generally using daily driver Fatip Piccolo but also on the days I opt for Feather AC. Shallow angle, stretching, wet lather and light buffing are what I find are required.

It has taken me a while to get the technique and the occasional mishap means that it is still a bit of a nervous time during!

XTG during first pass and ATG during the second pass.
Never tried WTG. Have no problem shaving upper lip ATG so not sure what the fuss is about.

Why nerve wracking when going ATG? DE safety razors have a safety bar. Don't they? Why do you think it is called a safety bar? Eh?
I thought fool's pass pertains to straight razor shaving talk. Not the humble DE.

I found the shape of a DE makes upper lip ATG into a contortionist's exercise. Usually I do a WTG and then both directions XTG, and call that "good enough". Doesn't stay smooth for long, though.

Recently tried using a Bic Sensitive to do it ATG, and had partial success.

I can see there would be less contortion involved with a straight or shavette.

Maybe a Bic Sensitive head sawn off and glued onto a horizontal handle would be an interesting experiment.

I really think this has to do with how full your lips are. If you have full lips, it's more likely you might catch your lip when you go ATG. I have kind of thick lips. My father on the other hand, has very thin lips and has been compared to a turtle by some people.

turtle-head-face-old.jpg

Top Bottom