What's new

Upgrading my daily coffee process

He guys, a little help here. Every morning I fill up my 20oz travel mug and head to work. I primarily use a Keurig. I love the convenience and my favorite coffee is Green Mountain Dark Magic. The problem with the Keurig, is I need to brew 2 K-cups to fill my 20ox mug. Or I'll brew one K-Cup, and then brew a moka pot of ground coffee (usually Dunkin Donuts Dark) to fill up my cup. I'm looking to streamline the process so I only have to brew once. I like cheap and easy. And I don't like all the waste in the K-cups themselves.

I'm considering the Clever Dripper system (~$20 on Amazon). I've seen it in action and I really like it. It says 18oz capacity, so I still might have to brew a little extra to still fill my cup. I've also considered a French press, or possibly a Moka Pot large enough to get me 20oz (9 cup Moka?).

I'm also looking to upgrade to whole bean. I know I can buy bags of whole bean Green Mountian coffee. I've never ground my own coffee beans before. I'm looking at the Hario Skerton grinder ($40 on Amazon) or the Hario Mini grinder ($32 on Amazon).

Any feedback on these items or suggestions for other options for brewing a daily 20oz coffee? I'm a dark roast, bold coffee drinker. I only drink strong coffee and I drink it black.

My wife has a Hamilton beach drip that she swears by. Makes a travel mug full on one side but I don't know capacity of it or a whole pot on the other we've had it 2-3 years with no problems

Have you considered a larger Chemex pour over, KJ?
Not really looking for a pour over. I want my grounds to steep, not drip out right away. Plus that looks too involved for what I'm looking for.

My wife has a Hamilton beach drip that she swears by.

I absolutely do not want a drip machine. Never liked the coffee from those.

Last edited:
I'll leave the other questions to the fine gentlemen who frequent this sub-forum and just talk grinder. Don't get the Slim. After several months of daily use, the handle will begin to wear down the penta head bolt that holds everything together. Once that strips, the whole thing is worthless. If you're already going to spend $50 or more on the Skerton, I'd try to find a sale on an electric burr grinder. As long as you're not doing espresso, you shouldn't need an expensive one.

Can't resist one more thing: instead of buying roasted beans from out of town, find a local roaster. If you take the time to ask questions and get them talking about coffee, you'll learn a ton, find something you love, and support a local business.

If you're already going to spend $50 or more on the Skerton, I'd try to find a sale on an electric burr grinder.
Any suggestions? I was looking at the manual grinders, because they (the slim specifically) were recommended in a couple other threads I read before I created this one.

instead of buying roasted beans from out of town, find a local roaster.

First, I live in the boonies, there's no local roasters here. Second, that doesn't interest me one bit. Making coffee is a chore, and I'm not looking to make it a hobby. I just want simple and effective.

This one should work for pourover, drip, french press, Aeropress, etc. Really, anything other than espresso or Turkish.
https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DB...088910&sr=8-1&keywords=cuisinart+burr+grinder
If making coffee is a chore for you, definitely stay away from the manual grinders. You'll quit using it quickly once you realize that it takes two or three minutes of grinding, at a minimum, to get enough coffee ground to brew 20 oz.
You mentioned that you don't like drip coffee makers and prefer to let your coffee steep. Have you thought about going really basic and dumping your coffee grinds into a paper basket-style filter, then folding it over a few times and stapling it shut to make a giant teabag like sachet? You could drop that in your travel mug, fill it with hot water, and let it steep as long as you'd like. In that case, you'd only need the grinder and your preferred coffee.

First, I live in the boonies, there's no local roasters here. Second, that doesn't interest me one bit. Making coffee is a chore, and I'm not looking to make it a hobby. I just want simple and effective.

Just realized where in the boonies you live. My dad grew up in St. Charles, MO, and I lived in the St. Louis area for about five years. Drove past you several times heading out to KC.
I did a quick Google search and turned up some roasters in Sedalia and Warrensburg. Not sure how often you get over to either of those towns, but they may have something. I understand not wanting to go too far down the rabbit hole with this coffee brewing, but it may be worth popping in and checking to see if you can get a dark roast you like from one of them. My favorite coffee shop here in New Orleans is run by a bunch of guys who were college buddies. They roast in-house, which means I never have to wait on a delivery truck to drop off coffee, and I can swing by whenever I run out. They're a friendly group, and I'm sure if I asked they'd roast a dark batch for me. I think you're likely to find the same thing in smaller Midwestern towns. At least one of the local roasters should be happy to make you a dark roast batch.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DB...088910&sr=8-1&keywords=cuisinart+burr+grinder
If making coffee is a chore for you, definitely stay away from the manual grinders. You'll quit using it quickly once you realize that it takes two or three minutes of grinding, at a minimum, to get enough coffee ground to brew 20 oz.
That's a fair point. Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you thought about going really basic and dumping your coffee grinds into a paper basket-style filter, then folding it over a few times and stapling it shut to make a giant teabag like sachet? You could drop that in your travel mug, fill it with hot water, and let it steep as long as you'd like. In that case, you'd only need the grinder and your preferred coffee.
Funny you should mention that. I was deployed to Guam for a month and lived out of a hotel. There wasn't a coffee pot in my room, only a hot water kettle and some packets of tea and instant coffee. I bought filters and ground coffee and basically did what you describe in my mug, without actually making a "tea bag". It was that process which led me to where I am now, and wanting the Clever Dripper. It does the same thing, with out the hassle and mess.

Just realized where in the boonies you live. My dad grew up in St. Charles, MO, and I lived in the St. Louis area for about five years. Drove past you several times heading out to KC.
You probably drove past on I-70, I'm 20 miles south of there.

JohnYaddy said:
I did a quick Google search and turned up some roasters in Sedalia and Warrensburg. Not sure how often you get over to either of those towns, but they may have something.
Thanks. I guess I wasn't thinking that some of the small coffee shops would roast their own. I searched and found one in Warrensburg (Java Junction), but none in Sedalia. Maybe I don't know what to search for. But Warrensburg is closer anyway. I'll check them out.

Thanks Again.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I must make a counterpoint to manual grinders and, specifically, the Hario Slim. I have one that's seen daily use for about four and a half years, and it's in as good a shape as the day I got it. Nothing has stripped. It also grinds my 30g of beans in about a minute, flat, which is about as long as it takes my 16 oz. of water to heat up. Of course, I'm grinding for a French press--coarsely. Finer grind will take longer, and I can see it getting up to three minutes for a fine grind. So, KJ, you're probably looking at something like 90 seconds of grinding. If that's still more fuss than you want, then you still might want to move on from manual grinders.

Do consider a French press if you are looking for easy and want to steep grinds. It doesn't get much easier than a French press. Grind your beans, dump the grounds in the pot/carafe, stir vigorously (time depends on what you find you like), let it steep (again, time depends on what you find you like). When the time is up, push down the plunger and pour your coffee. Cleanup is a matter of dumping the grinds and rinsing off the parts.

If you really want easy and are willing to spend a few more bucks, look at a stainless French Press. Breaking a glass carafe is not as much fun as it sounds, especially when it's full of hot water and coffee grounds. That ain't gonna happen with a stainless one. Also, as soon as you replace that one glass carafe, you've probably spent as much or more than you would have spent on a stainless one. I have a 32 oz. Frieling that I absolutely adore and that easily would make 20 oz. at once if so tasked. Bodum makes very good ones, as well. There is a SterlingPro stainless French press out there that runs about half the price of my Frieling or the Bodum. I've heard good things about but have not used it. There are other, less expensive ones also out there, but I know virtually nothing about them beyond Amazon reviews. In any case, the whole idea is to get something you buy once and then enjoy for about the rest of your life.

Thanks Doak, just the type of info I was looking for. I really like the idea of the Clever Dripper, but I fear it's just not big enough for my daily needs. That 20oz of coffee in an insulated mug will usually last me until lunch. It stays hot all day if need be.

I was thinking about a French press, but hadn't really looked into them much. I guess I was thinking that it was going to be more involved to clean the thing. I'll look into the models you suggested. Thanks.

-EDIT-
I totally get what you are saying about Stainless, but you can't see the coffee! Doesn't that kinds take away from the process? I always thought part of the enjoyment in a French Press was seeing the coffee through the glass, lol. I know that's secondary to the coffee itself and the end result is something you drink, not look at.... but just an observation.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
True, you can't see the coffee, but it's not like you get a lava lamp sort of show. It doesn't really do much in there. I'm happy to forego seeing the coffee in the carafe in favor of no possibility of seeing it on my floor or counter and mixed with shattered glass.

Another advantage to stainless presses is that you can easily get insulated/double-walled ones, so you keep a consistent temperature while brewing.

OK, I think I'm totally sold on the Stainless French Press. I think it will get me exactly what I'm looking for, for making my coffee quickly and easily. I thought that the Clever Dripper, was going to be easier, but it looks about the same, and it limits me on size.

I think I'm also sold on the electric grinder, specially since I'll be making larger quantities of coffee. But I'm still not totally opposed to a manual grinder. I'm asking all these questions to put things on my Christmas list. So, even though I'm cheap, I don't mind asking for a little bit nicer stuff for Christmas. But I still don't want anyone spending $100 on a grinder for me. I just don't think that for my purposes, I'm going to see (appreciate) the difference between a $50 model and a $100+ model. So, any other recommendations preferably sub $50, but possibly up to around $75?

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Did you check out the Cuisinart I linked to above? That one should work well.
Yes, I did. And it's the same one that a coworker has and he likes it. Just looking to compare with a couple others before setting my mind to it. But I do like that one.

If you're leaning the French press route, I'm not sure there's an electric grinder near that $50-$75 price range that would get you a consistent coarse grind and you'd be significantly better off going a manual route. Paging [MENTION=47553]turtle[/MENTION] ?

That said, upthread you mentioned you most definitely aren't looking to go the hobbyist route, which would make me think you'd get really sick of manually grinding each morning if you're just looking for a decent cup.

Ever since I dropped down the $100 for a refurbed Encore and started grinding fresh beans, I've never been happier with the output of my little 5c Mr Coffee using a mesh filter. It fills up my Stanley travel thermos with rich black coffee with all the great oils as a result of using the mesh filter.

I do not have any personal experience with electric grinders other than those made by Baratza and Mazzer. I don't consider whirly choppers to be coffee grinders, though I did use them decades ago (before the advent of electric home coffee grinders)

What I can do is relate what I know about coffee and grind consistency as to how it relates to the brew process and the resulting taste in the cup.

When I say consistency I am talking about the ability of the grinder to produce ground coffee of the same size.

Type of brew method rated by the demanded consistency

1. Turkish grind
  2. Espresso grind
  3. French Press grind
  4. Siphon/Vacuum grind
  5. Moka Pot grind
  6. Filter grind (pour over and auto drip)

The most demanding brew methods are at the fine and coarse end of the grind spectrum. Fine and coarse grinds need to have the same size coffee particles/chunks. These methods are non filter brews. Filters will trap "fines" and oils, thus the consistency is not as important in filter brew methods as the filter will trap any fines and keep them from the cup.

Turkish grind is almost powder. This "dust" is needed as the coffee is made without any filtering system in small quantities in a ibrik, then poured off into a demitasse cup. Being fine the expended coffee will settle to the bottom of the ibrik during the steeping process. This steeping time will allow the ground coffee to drop to the bottom of the brewing vessel and the coffee that is poured off is relatively clean (by Turkish coffee standards not American diner standards). There will always be sediment in Turkish style coffee as that is part of the experience but for the most part, the fine grind helps to keep this sediment to a reasonable level

Espresso needs consistency to avoid blow outs, worm holes, and trails through the tamped puck which result in a fast release of brew water through the fissures. Any inconsistency will throw off the extraction time and resulting taste of the pull. There have been books written on this subject so this short paragraph does not even scratch the surface of what is required for espresso grind.

French press brew uses a screen to separate the coffee grounds from the beverage. Grind needs to be consistent so that the cup is not too muddy. Grind size needs to be consistent enough that it is trapped by the screen but not so chunky that the flavor is not fully extracted.

Siphon/Vacuum coffee runs both directions depending on the siphon pot used. Newer models use a screen/filter to trap sediment, older models use a glass rod. As with any filter/non-filter brew method, the one that uses a filter to trap fines is more forgiving of the ground coffee you use

Moka pot is another non filter brew method where the grind needs to stay in the brew basket and not forced up into the top. Since the brew travels up via the increase in pressure from the resulting boiling of water the grind needs to NOT pass through the screen and there should not be an over abundance of fines (dust) to flow up with the brewed coffee. The amount of fines in the cup can be controlled by lowering the flame/heat right at the point that brew starts to appear in the upper vessel. Many think Moka pot is a no brainer method of making good coffee but as with any creative process it takes the person creating the coffee to understand and run the brew process to achieve good results.

Filtered brewing in either a manual pour over of auto drip is the least demanding when it comes to the quality of the cup. Any fines are caught by the filter (so are oils and other flavors). The consistency in grind only plays into the extraction time. The coarser the grind the faster the brew time, the finer the grind the slower the brew time. Perfect coffee in a pour over takes between 3.5 and 4.5 minutes from bloom to end. IF there are too many fines the filter can clog and the brew process slowed but you will never find coffee grounds in your cup using a filtered brew method. The two most important aspects of pour over and auto drip are the temperature of the water and the extraction time.

Now that I have taken all of this space to NOT answer your question, I will end by saying.

Anyone can make coffee but not everyone can create great tasting coffee.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Wow. That's a terrific summary of how grind consistency affects coffee quality. Thanks, Mick. I might just save that. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom