What's new

Unexpected surprise for $6.49 Russian Gillette Rubie DE

On a whim I bought a Russian Gillette Rubie DE razor for $6.49 free shipping. I gave it a shot tonight and WOW BBS 3 pass shave. I was positive the shave would be terrible boy was I wrong. Just as good if not better than my 180. I thought it would be the same as a tech, the precision of this razor head is incredible.
$IMG_5356.jpg

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I just got one in the mail yesterday. I haven't had a full shave with it yet, but I did give it a few swipes over my cheeks to check it out. It got a bit banged up in shipping, and I had to operate with a hammer. Got it all straightened out, though, and it's good to go.

On a whim I bought a Russian Gillette Rubie DE razor for $6.49 free shipping. I gave it a shot tonight and WOW BBS 3 pass shave. I was positive the shave would be terrible boy was I wrong. Just as good if not better than my 180. I thought it would be the same as a tech, the precision of this razor head is incredible.
View attachment 355436
Sweet! May I ask where you got it? Oops, never mind: I found one for $7.49 on ebay from Israel (!).

Last edited:
Pedro, I edited my post to add that I found one on ebay for $7.49 with free shipping. However, it comes from Israel, so there is a 3-6 week estimated delivery. :sad:

I got mine from the same eBay vender and with free shipping I got it in 10 days. As far as the razor it is very nice and its is very mild but I got a DFS plus shave with the very very sharp Gillitte Rubie blades it comes with.

Jim

I got mine from the same eBay vender and with free shipping I got it in 10 days. As far as the razor it is very nice and its is very mild but I got a DFS plus shave with the very very sharp Gillitte Rubie blades it comes with.

Jim
That's great news!

Pedro, I edited my post to add that I found one on ebay for $7.49 with free shipping. However, it comes from Israel, so there is a 3-6 week estimated delivery. :sad:

#-6 weeks?!?! :ohmy: Hey, at least is on it's way. Please post comments too. I'll start looking tonight.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat

Jim

Yep, I got mine from the same seller. I wasn't expecting it for another couple weeks, but it came yesterday. Shipping was very fast.

I bought mine from the same source Israel made in USSR. Actual delivery time was only 6 days. A great seller to deal with.

Layering on this thread - same Israel-based seller, same product, but only 12 days here from order to receipt in the CONUS (including weekend). This seller is on my "A" list as that's two rapid deliveries in a row, considering the potential blocks. That being said, I could have just jinxed everything for the next delivery! Glad to hear the shave was so close...I'm finishing some other razor/blade combos and this one is a couple of weeks downstream!

Todd

Layering on this thread - same Israel-based seller, same product, but only 12 days here from order to receipt in the CONUS (including weekend). This seller is on my "A" list as that's two rapid deliveries in a row, considering the potential blocks. That being said, I could have just jinxed everything for the next delivery! Glad to hear the shave was so close...I'm finishing some other razor/blade combos and this one is a couple of weeks downstream!

Todd
I hope you get the same results I did when you do try the Rubie.

If it's not against forum rules, can you post the seller or a link to his store or the razor itself? I'm interested in the same razor and have found it from many vendors, but would just assume get it from this one seller that everyone seems to be happy with.

And thanks for the headsup. i was sitting on the fence regarding this same razor and now I'm going to take the $7.50 plunge.
Search for "Gillette Rubie" on eBay and you will see it. There is also Rapira razor which looks exactly like that Gillette Rubie, but unlike the latter Rapira is made in Moscow (not St Petersburg). I think Indians make the same razor.

Last edited:
I don't need this. Having said that, I'll be ordering this as soon as I get home.

Sometimes I'm glad that ebay is blocked from work.

In terms of aggression, what razor does this shave similar to?

Here's some more info it weighs 3/4 of an ounce, the head is all metal and the tip of the handle is metal but the handle is plastic but not overly slippery. Here's a couple of pics sorry there not the best I was in a rush so I hand held and used my D600's onboard flash.

Jim

Attachments

• $_DSC4201.jpg
    $_DSC4201.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 524
  • $_DSC4204.jpg
    $_DSC4204.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 526
Top Bottom