What's new

Unexpected surprise for $6.49 Russian Gillette Rubie DE

I bought mine from the same source Israel made in USSR. Actual delivery time was only 6 days. A great seller to deal with.

If its made in USSR there is probably a microchip inside the handle, they'll know all your secrets in a week and will brainwash you during your sleep. Within a month you'll speak russian & drink vodka : /

If its made in USSR there is probably a microchip inside the handle, they'll know all your secrets in a week and will brainwash you during your sleep. Within a month you'll speak russian & drink vodka : /
I already drink vodka, so no biggie... :wink2: I tried the Rubie again this morning and liked it better than the first time. I used the same Astra as last time, so maybe part of it was the slight wearing-in of the blade. I will never be a fan of 3-piece construction and will always prefer TTO designs, though.

I took it on its maiden voyage today and it's not bad, but I think I was spoiled by my Futur last week. I noticed a lot more hair than I'm used to by lunch today. I'll give it the rest of the week, but I don't see it being in heavy rotation with me.

Having said all that, it's definitely worth the money I paid for it and it'd make a great travel razor for someone. Light, easy to pack, and if you lose it you're not out too much money.

Can someone tell me if this razor is still in production for the Russian market or they stopped making it in Russia at all ?

Just got it! I'm still at work, but will try tomorrow morning with my togo blade, the Shark SS. The head looks nice, a little light, but with tight tolerances. The handle is crap.

Exited about the Gillete Rubie blades it came and also the Viking Sword!

I bought one of these and it arrived yesterday, only 7 days to ship from Israel to the UK. The head is almost exactly the same as my 60's British Tech, the only difference being the baseplate is made of slightly thinner metal. It shaves exactly the same as my Tech though so the thinner baseplate seems to make no difference. I bought mine with the intention of using it as a travel razor; it is light, gives a very good shave and if I lose or break it I haven't lost much in the way of money. So for less than £5 I have a razor that gives a very good shave, 5 Rubie blades and 10 Viking Sword blades, what a bargain. If the head fits on the handle of my DE89 or R41 I might give that a try too to see what difference if any that makes.

I bought one of these and it arrived yesterday, only 7 days to ship from Israel to the UK. The head is almost exactly the same as my 60's British Tech, the only difference being the baseplate is made of slightly thinner metal. It shaves exactly the same as my Tech though so the thinner baseplate seems to make no difference. I bought mine with the intention of using it as a travel razor; it is light, gives a very good shave and if I lose or break it I haven't lost much in the way of money. So for less than £5 I have a razor that gives a very good shave, 5 Rubie blades and 10 Viking Sword blades, what a bargain. If the head fits on the handle of my DE89 or R41 I might give that a try too to see what difference if any that makes.
The thread is 10-32 so any handle with 10-32 or M5 x 0.8 female thread will work with that head. Edwin Jagger DE89 and Muhle R41 have M5 threads, so yes they will work.

Several weeks ago I also got one of these and use it in combination with Muhle, EJ, and Weber handles and with the slightly modified original handle as well.

I'm not a friend of very light handles and I took advantage of the fact that the original Rubie handle is hollow. I only had to widen the first one or two millimeters of the opening that can be seen at the lower end of the handle in order to screw in a M5 threaded rod which added about 10 grams:

$1276711.jpg

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Anyone that purchased one of these still using them on a regular basis?
Yeah, it's in my regular Tech rotation. I don't even really notice when I get to it. It doesn't distinguish itself from the rest of the pack, which is ok. It may not be any better, but it's no worse either (subject to personal preferences of weight and balance).

Yeah, it's in my regular Tech rotation. I don't even really notice when I get to it. It doesn't distinguish itself from the rest of the pack, which is ok. It may not be any better, but it's no worse either (subject to personal preferences of weight and balance).

That is good to know. Was looking at getting a Tech, or equivalent, so I will definitely consider this option. Is the handle on a Tech/Rubie longer than an SuperSpeed??

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
That is good to know. Was looking at getting a Tech, or equivalent, so I will definitely consider this option. Is the handle on a Tech/Rubie longer than an SuperSpeed??
Yeah, it's about an inch longer, just eyeballing it. Maybe not quite that much.

$IMAG1309-1-1.jpg

How does it shave with the Sodial handle vs the one that comes with it?

It looks great with the metal handle.

The handle (sodial) adds a good amount of weight to it. It's a bit shorter than the plastic handle, I don't mind either, they are both good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom