What's new

Under consideration

I used to be a much more active member on B&B... not so much the last couple of years. But, I still enjoy the ritual of DE/straight shaving.

I was recently at Harrods in London, and saw their pipe display, and now can't get it out of my head. I have probably smoked 10 cigarettes in my life, and as many cigars... never a pipe (I am 46). I have never had much of an attraction to any kind of tobacco until now. I am also an avid fitness buff, which makes the attraction of smoking a pipe somewhat inconsistent with my general constitution. For me, the craftsmanship, the ritual, etc. are all very appealing. I could see enjoying a smoke in the evening to unwind. There is a romanticism to it all and a nod to the past. I could definitely use something to relax a bit and ease the stresses of life.

I am a quant, so have looked at as much of the statistics as I can about health issues related to pipe smoking. I was not able to find anything of real substance. Clearly, this is not an endeavor to improve one's health (unless one argues that the relaxation and stress relief that comes from it outweighs the physiological negatives).

Besides using filters and not smoking too often or too much, are there any tips on how to negate some of the side effects of pipe smoking? Anything else, positive or negative, you wish you had known prior to starting?

thanks for taking the time
Drew

Last edited:
I've never smoked cigarettes. I smoked pipes for about 10 years and then switched to cigars for the next 30 or so, mostly due to the convenience of cigars over pipes. A year ago I pulled out my old pipes and ordered some decent tobacco and started back up. I haven't had a cigar since, although I'm not opposed.
As to side effects: If I keep my pipes to a reasonable number during the day, say no more than four bowls, I don't notice any issues. If I push it past four consistently, I experience some tongue bite, especially depending on what I'm smoking and if I get a little carried away with the puffing.
As long as I take my time and enjoy my smoking, the side effects seem minimal.
Now if you are talking financial side effects, that is a different story. PAD and TAD can have a significant impact on your finances!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Make no mistake, smoking tobacco is in no way healthy. There are a myriad of possible side effects, from cancers to emphysema to heart attack.

At the same time if smoking a bowl gives you a break from a stressful lifestyle for even a hour or two, maybe the benefits outweigh the risks?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I think the adage of "moderation in all things" is appropriate here. I have never been a cigarette smoker and (so far) have been intolerant of cigars. I would guess that most pipe smokers who were not cigarette smokers probably don't inhale much smoke into their lungs. Consequently, I don't think that pipe smoking risks are equivalent to cigarette smoking. There are many additives to cigarette tobacco that are not present in pipe tobacco. There has been relatively little research into the effects of pipe smoking in general. There is always a risk of oral or esophageal cancer, but it is a rather low to moderate risk as compared to cigarettes or smokeless tobacco. Nicotine causes a constriction of blood vessels, so that is a possible concern to those with high blood pressure or cardiovascular disease. Again, moderation is the key to mitigating these known risks. Drinking a non alcoholic beverage when smoking supposedly lowers the risks of oral cancer, but many pipe smokers, yours truly included, enjoy an adult beverage with their pipe. I didn't start smoking a pipe until I was 57 yrs old, so if it kills me in 20 years time, I'm probably about ready to kick off anyways. My great grand father smoked cigars and drank bourbon up into his 90's, but that was another time indeed.

Your going to have to spend a few dollars to try pipe smoking out.

A reputable place to purchase online is Smokingpipes.com | Tobacco Pipes - Pipe Tobacco.

To start you need (just my humble suggestions):

1) A good pipe: Comoy's or a Peterson (these are no-filter pipes)
2) A good starter tobacco (mild, flavorful, no bite and good for pipe break-in): Carter Hall Carter Hall Pipe Tobacco | Buy Carter Hall Pipe Tobacco at Smokingpipes
3) Pipe tool: Czech tool Pipe Tools & Supplies Czech Pipe Tool | Buy Pipe Tools & Supplies Pipe Accessories at Smokingpipes
4) Pipe cleaners (lots of them): B. J. Long Regular Pipe Cleaners (100 pack) | Smokingpipes.com
5) Stick matches from a local (hardware) store

BTW -- I've been a pipe smoker for 45 years.

Last edited:
I think the adage of "moderation in all things" is appropriate here. I have never been a cigarette smoker and (so far) have been intolerant of cigars. I would guess that most pipe smokers who were not cigarette smokers probably don't inhale much smoke into their lungs. Consequently, I don't think that pipe smoking risks are equivalent to cigarette smoking. There are many additives to cigarette tobacco that are not present in pipe tobacco. There has been relatively little research into the effects of pipe smoking in general. There is always a risk of oral or esophageal cancer, but it is a rather low to moderate risk as compared to cigarettes or smokeless tobacco. Nicotine causes a constriction of blood vessels, so that is a possible concern to those with high blood pressure or cardiovascular disease. Again, moderation is the key to mitigating these known risks. Drinking a non alcoholic beverage when smoking supposedly lowers the risks of oral cancer, but many pipe smokers, yours truly included, enjoy an adult beverage with their pipe. I didn't start smoking a pipe until I was 57 yrs old, so if it kills me in 20 years time, I'm probably about ready to kick off anyways. My great grand father smoked cigars and drank bourbon up into his 90's, but that was another time indeed.

yeah, moderation is key with anything. I rode a motorcycle for 9 years without incident. I analyzed all the statistics on how to keep myself as safe as possible enjoying an inherently risky activity. I suppose there would be some parallels with smoking a pipe.

I’ve been smoking a pipe for about a year now. (4-5 times/week usually). I don’t find myself needing a smoke. I don’t shuffle my day around to have a pipe or grabbing one on work breaks. If I have enough time to relax and enjoy a pipe, and am in the mood, I have one.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
As for filters, I'm not sure that there is a real advantage to them. The small paper filters used in cob pipes and cheaper briar pipes should be avoided entirely IMHO. If you are intent on using a filter, get a pipe that uses a 9 mm filter. Those will accept ceramic or activated charcoal filters. But most pipe smokers smoke for the taste and any filter that works other than to trap moisture, will also rob you of the taste. If you do buy a pipe that accepts filters but decide you don't like filters, all is not lost, you can smoke them without filters in them.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
As for filters, I'm not sure that there is a real advantage to them. The small paper filters used in cob pipes and cheaper briar pipes should be avoided entirely IMHO. If you are intent on using a filter, get a pipe that uses a 9 mm filter. Those will accept ceramic or activated charcoal filters. But most pipe smokers smoke for the taste and any filter that works other than to trap moisture, will also rob you of the taste. If you do buy a pipe that accepts filters but decide you don't like filters, all is not lost, you can smoke them without filters in them.

Filters are a good safety net when I subconsciously choo choo train. :)

I've never smoked cigarettes. I smoked pipes for about 10 years and then switched to cigars for the next 30 or so, mostly due to the convenience of cigars over pipes. A year ago I pulled out my old pipes and ordered some decent tobacco and started back up. I haven't had a cigar since, although I'm not opposed.
As to side effects: If I keep my pipes to a reasonable number during the day, say no more than four bowls, I don't notice any issues. If I push it past four consistently, I experience some tongue bite, especially depending on what I'm smoking and if I get a little carried away with the puffing.
As long as I take my time and enjoy my smoking, the side effects seem minimal.
Now if you are talking financial side effects, that is a different story. PAD and TAD can have a significant impact on your finances!

So you have been smoking consistently, cigars and/or pipes, for 40+ years? Have you had any health issues related to it?

Your going to have to spend a few dollars to try pipe smoking out.

A reputable place to purchase online is Smokingpipes.com | Tobacco Pipes - Pipe Tobacco.

To start you need (just my humble suggestions):

1) A good pipe: Comoy's or a Peterson (these are no-filter pipes)
2) A good starter tobacco (mild, flavorful, no bite and good for pipe break-in): Carter Hall Carter Hall Pipe Tobacco | Buy Carter Hall Pipe Tobacco at Smokingpipes
3) Pipe tool: Czech tool Pipe Tools & Supplies Czech Pipe Tool | Buy Pipe Tools & Supplies Pipe Accessories at Smokingpipes
4) Pipe cleaners (lots of them): B. J. Long Regular Pipe Cleaners (100 pack) | Smokingpipes.com
5) Stick matches from a local (hardware) store

BTW -- I've been a pipe smoker for 45 years.

thank you for the information. I am not sure if I will pursue this, or not, but this punch list is very helpful.

I'll share my story which bears some similarities to yours. Perhaps thru my experience you'll gain insight to help answer your questions.

My maternal grandparents were both heavy cigarette smokers. The both passed in their late 60's.

My paternal grandfather was a life-long cigar smoker who lived into his late 70's. He would have lived longer, much longer I believe save for the grief of my grandmother's passing. The man simply couldn't bear life without his wife of over 50 years.

My parents didn't smoke.

I never smoked anything save a celebratory cigar or two early in life. Much changed in my outlook as the later 40's arrived. I'll call it a change in perspective. I too, like you, wished to try the pipe. Located a reputable brick and mortar store in Roanoke called Milan Tobacconist. A very nice gentleman named Poochie taught me how to pack and light. Well, that is to say he showed me how. The learning took much longer.

I'm an occasional pipe smoker as in when the mood strikes my fancy. This can be anywhere from once or twice a week to a few times a month. There are periods where I'll go months without smoking a bowl. Cooler weather, rainy weather tends to bring about the urge. Admittedly this makes it more difficult to learn. Took me a few years to get a good idea about it.

The shape of the pipe, the shape of the bowl interior, the size, the draw, the tobacco, humidity, and other factors all play into how to pack the pipe. It isn't something that can be learned from a book or video. You have to smoke to learn. The more frequently a person smokes the same pipe with the same tobacco and same ignition source the easier the learning curve. But the initial learning can be frustrating if one's expectations are too high.

There are health risks. Even with moderate, non-inhaling pipe smoking. So too are risks with drinking, crossing the street, etc. This is something only the individual can determine for themselves. But I will say the risks are skewed higher for commercial cigarettes and inhaling.

Having said the above, why smoke? Enjoyment. Meditative and contemplative activity. Relaxing. Connection to the past. The ritual. Conversations with God, there have been many over a pipe and I'm not alone in this. CS Lewis would concur. The craftsmanship and appreciation of the pipe. The rich history of pipe making.

Is the benefit worth the risk? In my case, absolutely yes. I once held a very stressful job. Had I not taken up the pipe to relax the stress would likely have killed me.

Do let us know what you decide.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
We all hope that the oft quoted statement, “pipe smokers live longer than non-smokers”, holds true for all of us :).

I'll share my story which bears some similarities to yours. Perhaps thru my experience you'll gain insight to help answer your questions.

My maternal grandparents were both heavy cigarette smokers. The both passed in their late 60's.

My paternal grandfather was a life-long cigar smoker who lived into his late 70's. He would have lived longer, much longer I believe save for the grief of my grandmother's passing. The man simply couldn't bear life without his wife of over 50 years.

My parents didn't smoke.

I never smoked anything save a celebratory cigar or two early in life. Much changed in my outlook as the later 40's arrived. I'll call it a change in perspective. I too, like you, wished to try the pipe. Located a reputable brick and mortar store in Roanoke called Milan Tobacconist. A very nice gentleman named Poochie taught me how to pack and light. Well, that is to say he showed me how. The learning took much longer.

I'm an occasional pipe smoker as in when the mood strikes my fancy. This can be anywhere from once or twice a week to a few times a month. There are periods where I'll go months without smoking a bowl. Cooler weather, rainy weather tends to bring about the urge. Admittedly this makes it more difficult to learn. Took me a few years to get a good idea about it.

The shape of the pipe, the shape of the bowl interior, the size, the draw, the tobacco, humidity, and other factors all play into how to pack the pipe. It isn't something that can be learned from a book or video. You have to smoke to learn. The more frequently a person smokes the same pipe with the same tobacco and same ignition source the easier the learning curve. But the initial learning can be frustrating if one's expectations are too high.

There are health risks. Even with moderate, non-inhaling pipe smoking. So too are risks with drinking, crossing the street, etc. This is something only the individual can determine for themselves. But I will say the risks are skewed higher for commercial cigarettes and inhaling.

Having said the above, why smoke? Enjoyment. Meditative and contemplative activity. Relaxing. Connection to the past. The ritual. Conversations with God, there have been many over a pipe and I'm not alone in this. CS Lewis would concur. The craftsmanship and appreciation of the pipe. The rich history of pipe making.

Is the benefit worth the risk? In my case, absolutely yes. I once held a very stressful job. Had I not taken up the pipe to relax the stress would likely have killed me.

Do let us know what you decide.

thank you for this... very helpful. The paragraph I have highlighted here sounds eerily similar to learning to shave with a straight razor (or even a DE, for that matter) and a fine brush and soap/cream. I think this is why pipe smoking is so appealing to me-- the craftsmanship of the pipes themselves, and the ritual of learning a somewhat lost art.

Cheers

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Beware! There is many a pipe smoker who's interests in shaving diminishes over time and eventually become bearded old coots!

Beware! There is many a pipe smoker who's interests in shaving diminishes over time and eventually become bearded old coots!

But my beard has reduced from a circle to a Van Dyke. Oh wait, I started smoking cigars, not pipes.

:001_rolle

So you have been smoking consistently, cigars and/or pipes, for 40+ years? Have you had any health issues related to it?
The short answer; not that I know of. My blood pressure tends toward the high side of normal but that seems more inherited than not. My doc told me a few years ago that "I'd caught a bit of the diabetes", again inherited I think and easily controlled with diet and a couple of metformin tabs a day. I've recently been diagnosed with low risk, localized prostate cancer and am "actively surveilling" that situation. All, with perhaps the exception of the blood pressure, seem unrelated to my smoking. I rarely ever smoked more than one cigar a day and then only when driving long distances to help my stay alert or playing golf, which I haven't for several years. My pipe smoking typically tops out at four pipes a day and those are rare days. I don't inhale and give my tongue a few days rest if I sense the need. On a late winter's eve I've been known to enjoy a good single malt while I smoke but usually it is ice water, iced tea, or coffee while I smoke. As others have said, I find the contemplative benefits to pipe smoking outweigh the risks. FWIW, I'm 66 years old, so well past middle aged, and that may color my opinion.

The short answer; not that I know of. My blood pressure tends toward the high side of normal but that seems more inherited than not. My doc told me a few years ago that "I'd caught a bit of the diabetes", again inherited I think and easily controlled with diet and a couple of metformin tabs a day. I've recently been diagnosed with low risk, localized prostate cancer and am "actively surveilling" that situation. All, with perhaps the exception of the blood pressure, seem unrelated to my smoking. I rarely ever smoked more than one cigar a day and then only when driving long distances to help my stay alert or playing golf, which I haven't for several years. My pipe smoking typically tops out at four pipes a day and those are rare days. I don't inhale and give my tongue a few days rest if I sense the need. On a late winter's eve I've been known to enjoy a good single malt while I smoke but usually it is ice water, iced tea, or coffee while I smoke. As others have said, I find the contemplative benefits to pipe smoking outweigh the risks. FWIW, I'm 66 years old, so well past middle aged, and that may color my opinion.

Thank you for your candid and honest response.

They are not 'healthy' but there are nicotine free herbal alternatives to tobacco if you just want to puff on a pipe, but aren't looking for a nicotine fix. Just a thought.

They are not 'healthy' but there are nicotine free herbal alternatives to tobacco if you just want to puff on a pipe, but aren't looking for a nicotine fix. Just a thought.

Joshua-
Do you know of any good blends for pipes? This notion has piqued my curiosity. I did some searches, but can’t tell what would specifically be good for pipes. I would be looking for nice flavor, aroma, something that stays lit, smokes cool, etc.

Thanks

Top Bottom