What's new

Under consideration

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Joshua-
Do you know of any good blends for pipes? This notion has piqued my curiosity. I did some searches, but can’t tell what would specifically be good for pipes. I would be looking for nice flavor, aroma, something that stays lit, smokes cool, etc.

Thanks

Are just looking to avoid nicotine?

Are just looking to avoid nicotine?

I'm still determining if I will take up pipe smoking at all. I have no dependence on nicotine, as I really have never smoked tobacco, so I am just exploring my options were I to begin. I figured if there were palatable blends out there that don't have the nicotine or tar, then that may be a way for me get a bit more comfortable with the whole endeavor. My attraction is to the pipes themselves, and carving out time to relax and contemplate. I understand that combustion in and of itself can be dangerous, so natural blends don't make this "healthy." And I know pipe smokers don't inhale. But still, some nicotine and tar is absorbed through the mouth. I believe this is still a relatively low risk hobby and that there are many 40+ year pipe smokers who have never had any adverse health issues. Were I to smoke traditional tobacco blends, my intention would be to smoke lower nicotine brands and use a 9mm charcoal filter to help draw out some of the impurities.

thanks for the suggestions and input!

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
As a former non-smoker, I have no strong desire for the nicotine in the tobacco and find myself sensitive to the stronger nicotine blends. I'm sure that, should you decide to take up the hobby, you will find by trial and error, which blends you can tolerate, over time. However, even a milder blend will probably make you a bit woozy at first. This will probably pass, to a certain extent, as you get acclimated. Do not smoke on an empty stomach! Only smoke after a good meal, have something non-alcoholic to drink, at least at first, and possibly sweet tasting. I have never tried any of the non-tobacco herbal smoking mixtures, but I can't see them even remotely equating a tobacco experience, but I could be wrong.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you end up smoking regularly I have to say that eventually you will enjoy the nicotine aspect of it. Yes the flavors and tastes are the majority of the enjoyment, however it is hard to discount the relaxing effect nicotine can have if you can tolerate it. Just my opinion of course.

@Drew Just to be Devil's advocat and to repeat stuff you already know, like the annoying bastard I am, I don't think, as you're a non smoker, that you should start now. There are health risks involved which you know, it may be a hell of a lot less of a risk to smoke a pipe but the risk is still there. You may end up with an addiction you didn't have before, though this risk is also less with a pipe, addictions aren't things you should pick up lightly.

If you want something to give you a bit of time to think, relax and "meditate" have you thought about traditional Chinese tea? Look up Gong Fu, it's the way I drink my Chinese tea and it's a very relaxing process similar to smoking a pipe and it's a rabbit hole just as deep as pipe smoking or shaving, have a look at some of the stuff here

Yunnan Sourcing - The Ultimate Source for Yunnan Pu-erh Tea – Yunnan Sourcing Tea Shop

Having said all that, I smoke a pipe and I love it so if you do start, buy a decent (does not necessarily mean expensive, in fact you're better off going for a good low end pipe until you know you want to go all in) and stick to the lower nicotine tobaccos at first, tobaccoreviews.com gives good indications on the strength of a tobacco. I wouldn't bother at all with non-tobbaco herbs, they are probably just as harmful and they'll taste gross.

Good luck!

As a former non-smoker, I have no strong desire for the nicotine in the tobacco and find myself sensitive to the stronger nicotine blends. I'm sure that, should you decide to take up the hobby, you will find by trial and error, which blends you can tolerate, over time. However, even a milder blend will probably make you a bit woozy at first. This will probably pass, to a certain extent, as you get acclimated. Do not smoke on an empty stomach! Only smoke after a good meal, have something non-alcoholic to drink, at least at first, and possibly sweet tasting. I have never tried any of the non-tobacco herbal smoking mixtures, but I can't see them even remotely equating a tobacco experience, but I could be wrong.

thanks for your thoughts on this. I have read that not drinking alcohol while smoking is one of the best ways to reduce some of the harms of smoking. My intention would be to drink a cold non-alcoholic beverage while smoking. Thanks for the tip about a full stomach... that makes a lot of sense!

If you end up smoking regularly I have to say that eventually you will enjoy the nicotine aspect of it. Yes the flavors and tastes are the majority of the enjoyment, however it is hard to discount the relaxing effect nicotine can have if you can tolerate it. Just my opinion of course.

I can see that! Having a little nicotine buzz I'm sure is relaxing once you get acclimated to it. Plus, in moderation, nicotine is supposed to stave off dementia, no?

Last edited:
@Drew Just to be Devil's advocat and to repeat stuff you already know, like the annoying bastard I am, I don't think, as you're a non smoker, that you should start now. There are health risks involved which you know, it may be a hell of a lot less of a risk to smoke a pipe but the risk is still there. You may end up with an addiction you didn't have before, though this risk is also less with a pipe, addictions aren't things you should pick up lightly.

If you want something to give you a bit of time to think, relax and "meditate" have you thought about traditional Chinese tea? Look up Gong Fu, it's the way I drink my Chinese tea and it's a very relaxing process similar to smoking a pipe and it's a rabbit hole just as deep as pipe smoking or shaving, have a look at some of the stuff here

Yunnan Sourcing - The Ultimate Source for Yunnan Pu-erh Tea – Yunnan Sourcing Tea Shop

Having said all that, I smoke a pipe and I love it so if you do start, buy a decent (does not necessarily mean expensive, in fact you're better off going for a good low end pipe until you know you want to go all in) and stick to the lower nicotine tobaccos at first, tobaccoreviews.com gives good indications on the strength of a tobacco. I wouldn't bother at all with non-tobbaco herbs, they are probably just as harmful and they'll taste gross.

Good luck!

thank you for your candor. That is sound advice, and my more rational and analytical side knows that the path of least resistance is to not begin at all. I have led a very clean life, lo these 46 years, and this is the first time I have really been this deeply attracted to something that would be considered a vice and that I know can cause my body harm.

I will look into the tea. Thanks again.

I live a fairly clean lifestyle outside of alcohol myself and I took up pipe smoking sometime a year ago at the age of 40. While my wife hates it, I love it. I smoke a late night bowl on my patio just about every evening, while streaming something on my iPad. It's a treat I look forward to after a long day of work.

I saw somebody mention needing to spend a decent amount of coin to get started and I disagree. Honestly I would start off with a cob, small bundle of pipe cleaners, Bic, czech tool and maybe 1oz each of an Aromatic, English and Virginia blends.

I just priced all of this out on smokingpipes (minus the Bic) and it came out at $22 bucks (tobaccos selected, PS Bullseye, PS Proper English and Lane 1-Q). This will give you everything you need to try it out. If you decide you like the hobby you can add to your collection and if you don't, you're not out much money.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
While there are reasons to be concerned with tobacco use, unless you have an addictive personality, I would consider nicotine addiction on the low end of the scale of potential problems. I don't mean to infer that nicotine addiction is not a real concern, but in my limited experience of 6 yrs of occasional use, it has not proved to be an issue in my case. YMMV greatly.

+1. I normally have maybe 5 bowls a week for over a year now but it’s because I enjoy it, not have to have it. I can easily go weeks without. It’s like a steak dinner, awesome to have but if it’s raining too hard to bbq you’re fine with eating pasta.
While there are reasons to be concerned with tobacco use, unless you have an addictive personality, I would consider nicotine addiction on the low end of the scale of potential problems. I don't mean to infer that nicotine addiction is not a real concern, but in my limited experience of 6 yrs of occasional use, it has not proved to be an issue in my case. YMMV greatly.
Again, YMMV.

Thanks fellas. Again, I am 46 years old and know that I do not have an addictive personality. I am really Not concerned with becoming physiologically addicted. I can see becoming “addicted” to the ritual, but not the chemical. My vision is at most a daily bowl in the evening, grabbing some “me time” at the end of the day and solving the world’s problems.

My wife is not thrilled with the notion. Though I don’t think she knows how tempted I am. With that said, I am a grown man, and feel I can make reasonable decisions on my own behalf. But it warrants further discussion for sure.

I am not worried about cost. If I get into it and enjoy it, I will supply myself with nice accessories that enhance the overall experience.

I really appreciate the thoughts and feedback.

Best
Drew

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
As I've said before, I started at age 57, if it kills me in 20 yrs (I don't think it will), I'm about ready to kick anyways!

As I've said before, I started at age 57, if it kills me in 20 yrs (I don't think it will), I'm about ready to kick anyways!

I hope you are like many others I have heard from and have a good 40-50 years of enjoyable and illness-free pipe smoking.

Just throwing my 2 cents out here.
Remember that wood dust, the sun and red meat are group 1 carcinogens along with tobacco and many other things. Anything can kill you if you live long enough. Take time to think about your responsibilities and the risks you are willing to assume.
Everything has risk...even "healthy" things like working out, running, or biking are rife with risks and dangers. We do them anyway because there are benefits. Sometimes, as in the case of pipe smoking, that benefit is relaxation and enjoyment. For me...a few days a week to have a pipe or cigar to relax is worth the associated risks (which I've convinced myself, based on available studies, is low.)

Just throwing my 2 cents out here.
Remember that wood dust, the sun and red meat are group 1 carcinogens along with tobacco and many other things. Anything can kill you if you live long enough. Take time to think about your responsibilities and the risks you are willing to assume.
Everything has risk...even "healthy" things like working out, running, or biking are rife with risks and dangers. We do them anyway because there are benefits. Sometimes, as in the case of pipe smoking, that benefit is relaxation and enjoyment. For me...a few days a week to have a pipe or cigar to relax is worth the associated risks (which I've convinced myself, based on available studies, is low.)

Thank you for your post. I agree with your thoughts.

I may have said in a previous post here, I rode a motorcycle for 9 years. I have an analytics/statistics background. I like having data to analyze... I did my homework and realized there were MANY ways to reduce my risk that don’t really show up in the otherwise horrific statistics about the activity (eg. get properly trained, always wear gear and helmet, don’t drink and ride, etc.). I think there are similar ways to minimize some of the risks with pipe smoking. I wish there were more conclusive data out there for pipers who have not smoked previously, such as myself. But I have pieced together enough that I think I can at least minimize some of the risks. Convincing my wife, on the other hand???— no statistical studies about that!

Thanks again

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
In my experience, you have ZERO chance of convincing SWMBO that pipe smoking is "OK". But at least now she (usually) does not curse when she knows I've been smoking a pipe. But I try to do it only while she is not home and I clean myself up afterwards.

In my experience, you have ZERO chance of convincing SWMBO that pipe smoking is "OK". But at least now she (usually) does not curse when she knows I've been smoking a pipe. But I try to do it only while she is not home and I clean myself up afterwards.

I completely agree. When I smoke at home it's almost exclusively after she's gone to bed or if she's not home. She still knows I do it, but I get less crap for it because she doesn't catch me in action. :001_302:

Top Bottom