What's new

Ultimate blade bank?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Imagine a tenement with paper-thin walls ... you toss your blade through the slot and hear a muffled voice yell, "THANKS!"

AA

Having done some re-model work, anybody with the good sense that god gives geese NEVER rushes into some initial demolition stage quickly. Thus risk is minimal, except to those without an iota of common sense.

If I had room in my medicine cabinet to actually get to a blade slot, I might put one in...
^This. I have seen those thin metal ones on various sites, usually the same design, like a half-dome with a razor blade on it...few bucks seems efficient...wont last over 5 years, then again for ~$2 something lasting longer than a few days is great.

View attachment 717837

Mine has been in action since the 40s. I did have to do some plumbing work a few years ago and the "crypt" looked much like yours. It sure beats a soup can or something else taking space on the sink.

Great pic. It appears there's something stamped above and below the blade slot but I can't make out the words. Would you look and advise what it says? I'm curious!

Awesome vintage items in the cabinet too. :thumbup:

it's a brand name of the cabinet Miami Carey
written top and bottom depending if cabinet mounted to open left or right

$miami-Carey.jpg

I WISH I could find a short story I had read years ago, possibly by Larry Niven.
In it, a guy drops a used blade into the slot at the back of his medicine cabinet, and wonders "where do they all go?"
On the last page, we are on some cold dark barren planet in another galaxy, with alien (goat-like?) creatures wandering around. A blade pops into existence near one, and the creature goes over and eats it off the ground. It's what they live on.

I WISH I could find a short story I had read years ago, possibly by Larry Niven.
In it, a guy drops a used blade into the slot at the back of his medicine cabinet, and wonders "where do they all go?"
On the last page, we are on some cold dark barren planet in another galaxy, with alien (goat-like?) creatures wandering around. A blade pops into existence near one, and the creature goes over and eats it off the ground. It's what they live on.

Ha! That would be a fun story to read.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
As with nuclear waste, you only THINK the problem is gone ... Another time, another place awaits.

Razor blades never sleep.

AA

Great pic. It appears there's something stamped above and below the blade slot but I can't make out the words. Would you look and advise what it says? I'm curious!

Awesome vintage items in the cabinet too. :thumbup:

As mentioned above, It's the brand of the cabinet maker "Miami-Carey." Since the cabinet is reversible to open on either side depending on the orientation, it's impressed upside down on the top side. I have no idea how old it is but I grew up in this house. I am 65 and it's been in that hole as long as I can remember.

The Lavoris bottle is a fake. It used to contain Steen's pure cane syrup. I removed the Steen's label and reproduced an old Lavoris label I found an image of online. It currently contains Scope.
Not long ago a ladyfriend visitor asked "May I use your mouthwash? I said "sure." After she had finished gargling I asked "How was it? Fine she replied." Good it's been in there since 1915 and I always wondered how it was holding up."

Last edited:
I never knew what that slot was made for until about 2 months ago. An older co-worker told me about it. Pretty cool idea when you are the one tossing them. Kind of nasty to think about cleaning up someone else's razor blades years later though.

this is great, sci fi on B&B.

there's always a plan B.

I recently endured a full-on renovation of our main floor (kitchen, dining and living room) and the basement bathroom. The basement bathroom is where I perform my morning ablutions (what a great word), and since it backs onto the crawl space, a blade bank slot would be do-able. Without my wife being any the wiser!
$image.jpg

Here's sloppy photo of my current blade bank, with proper product placement, and yeah, it's an old spaghetti sauce jar.
Here's the wall-mounted cabinet...just tilt your head for proper perspective.
$image.jpg

And the the crawl space the cabinet backs onto...$image.jpg
i've really got to figure out which way is up when taking photos with my iPad.

I'm thinking of taking a skill saw to the back of the cabinet to carve out a slot and screw in a bit of plywood into the 2x4's on the other side of the wall in the crawl space. Problem solved. Until my sons try and sell the house once I'm six feet under.
"What's behind that plywood? I'm not sure. Let's check, shall we?"

I recently endured a full-on renovation of our main floor (kitchen, dining and living room) and the basement bathroom. The basement bathroom is where I perform my morning ablutions (what a great word), and since it backs onto the crawl space, a blade bank slot would be do-able. Without my wife being any the wiser!
View attachment 718137

Here's sloppy photo of my current blade bank, with proper product placement, and yeah, it's an old spaghetti sauce jar.
Here's the wall-mounted cabinet...just tilt your head for proper perspective.
View attachment 718138

And the the crawl space the cabinet backs onto...View attachment 718139
i've really got to figure out which way is up when taking photos with my iPad.

I'm thinking of taking a skill saw to the back of the cabinet to carve out a slot and screw in a bit of plywood into the 2x4's on the other side of the wall in the crawl space. Problem solved. Until my sons try and sell the house once I'm six feet under.
"What's behind that plywood? I'm not sure. Let's check, shall we?"

$tilt.jpg

Top Bottom