What's new

UGLY DOG razor handle

UGLY DOG II

$3477096.jpg

This one is made of stainless steel. I'm afraid it is not as ugly as the first one, but probably it will catch up regarding ugliness once it gets fitted a pair of stainless steel nuts! :001_rolle

At the moment it sits on one of my favorite DE razor heads, the Rapira. It looks a bit like a Gillette Tech but behaves like a closed comb version of the Muhle R41. Nice blade exposure.

$3477097.jpg

My preferred blades with the Rapira (and also with the R41) are the Gillette Silver Blue:

$3477098.jpg

Another nice combination, although this one would definitely benefit of some additional weight (pair of stainless steel nuts, as mentioned before) :biggrin1:
The bare SS handle only weighs 53.5 grams.

$3477095.jpg

Got nuts?
(Ugly Dog I, not stainless)$1735932.jpg

...not ideally balanced, but it looks ugly! :laugh:
The whole six-nuts Ugly Dog handle weighs 139.3 grams.

I bet if you designed some sort of slip on cover that would actually be both practical and pretty. Also, probably more comfortable.

what about a some kind of machined rod with threads inside you could thread over top of that one? of i know i have seen them for sale at even home depot or lowes but not sure if they come stainless or not.

I think these are a great idea, as most of the Weber, Ikon, etc. replacement handles look like nothing more than a nail-set punch from the woodwork toolbox. In my opinion, they look awful when paired with a beautifully designed razor head. The diameter of these handles is also getting a little large. To each his own and ymmv and all that, but personally I think a Fat Handle Tech is about right. The larger they get, the dumber they look.

Something tells me that if you tried to sell these you'd have a backlog of orders. Hats off to creativity!

:a5:

I would buy one of these in stainless steel, if it were available. I have a relative that would go......nuts over this. Pun intended. And, I am serious.

Last edited:
In that thread Dilbone made some remarks about my "Ugly Dogs", ...

Wow, I just looked up your Ugly Dogs and that is an amazing idea and even better execution. May I ask how much you charge for the Ugly Dog II or do you even make them for sale?

I was planning on making a nice wooden handle with either flamed maple or mahogany for this razor but now I'm thinking more industrial...hey, then again...why not both...

<snip>

... and for the sake of not de-railing said thread I only gave a short answer, pointing out that I would elaborate a bit more on his input in the Ugly Dog - thread here:

1. Well, I have never thought about selling Ugly Dogs.
  2. And if I would sell them using the infrastructure of B&B I first had to apply for a Hobbyist account which I don't have - at least not yet.
  3. Also, for putting up an own razor handle model for sale I had to be able to offer a perfect product which at least at the moment I am not able to offer. Let's be honest, we are a picky bunch of razor aficionados and we don't want to see nicks and marks on an otherwise nicely polished piece of razor handle shaped stainless steel (NPPRHSSS). We also don't accept that the razor head is 0.5° or so out of alignment with the handle, which with both of the above pictured Ugly Dogs is the case (I only knew to hide it more or less by smart photographing - and no, it does not disturb while shaving, it's only an insult to the eye).
  4. Then, if I could do a visually perfect job (which at the moment I can't) I had to improve on production speed because otherwise I or the customers would be in severe danger to enter bankruptcy.

You see, there would be a long way to go for me to sell Ugly Dogs, if at all.
You'll know when some day the Hobbyist - tag
new_hobby.jpg
would appear below my user name. :wink2:

Anyways, thanks for your kind remarks regarding my Ugly Dogs. :blush:

I also have thought on making some wooden handles (I am more a woodworker and I'm not well equipped for metal working), but as I am fond of heavy handles it was only logical for me to start with a plain metal handle. Maybe some day I'll make a Cute Dog™ wooden razor handle.:laugh:

I am making a handle for my Travel Tech out of acrylic on a manual metal lathe right not. It is not easy to knurl acrylic with the tools I have, so I have put on a RH and LH thread on the main-section to give it a knurled feel. Have you considered doing this on the Ugly Dogs? Maybe put a RH thread to put the bolts on for the bottom 1/2" or whatever length they go to, and then "double thread" the rest of the handle. I think it would be very cool, but I don't know if you could cut the threads as deep as you do now.

Love your Ugly Dogs,
Connor

Top Bottom