What's new

Typical American Meals especially 70's and 80's

What are or were your typical American meals growing up?

Pot roast, Salisbury steak, Meatloaf, London broil, Meatballs and pasta, Mac and Cheese?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1621221383529.png

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I remember Mac n Cheese, Fajitas (all the rage mid 80’s), meatloaf, and chicken casserole. Also a lot of stuff from the Schwann’s truck. I also for some reason remember eating a lot of steamed Broccoli and Lima beans.

We just served this classic for lunch at work yesterday. Hot Turkey Sandwich with Macaroni Salad:

View attachment 1267688
OMG that was my favorite. We actually had food cooked in our school and this was served once a week. Later (late 20’s early 30’s)there was a restaurant that served this close to my apartment . I’m mostly vegetarian now but would make an exception for an open faced turkey sandwich.

70's & 80's type meals:

Pork chops, baked potato, green beans or other veg
Lasagna w/Italian bread, grated Parmesan cheese in can
Roasted chicken, sweet potato, spinach or collard greens
Frozen fish like flounder with french fries and veg
Red beans & rice
Pizza
Tacos or Burritos, rice and beans on the side
Stir fries with rice (beef w/broccoli, for example)
Sunday roast beef, potatoes, carrots, green peas

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I watched a TV show recently in the UK which stated that during the 1970s the average household spent 25% of income on food and pensioners spent 33%. That is apparently now down to an average of 8% in the UK and 6% in the US, due to a relationship between income and food expenditure known as Engel's law. The program stated that in the 1970s food was far more unhealthy than today with much more fried food, calorie rich food, and use of fats such as lard and beef dripping. Conversely, I read in another report that present day obesity is at an all time high and the current generation is the first which is not expected to outlive their parents. I can certainly not recall many overweight or obese people during my youth whereas today every other person seems to be unhealthily overweight, and proud of it. Any advice to slim down is apparently 'fat shaming' and some sort of 'hate speech' necessitating inclusivity training.

My mother would make simple meals, basically meat and potatoes. Our typical meal would be meatloaf with baked potatoes or noodles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom