What's new

Typical American Meals especially 70's and 80's

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
We would have Jell-o for dessert; usually just "plain", but if my mum was feeling energetic she'd make a "parfait" in those tall, thin glasses: scoop of half-formed jell-o, scoop of whipped cream, banana slice, repeat until you get to the top of the glass.

Kind of like this ...

1621357422963.png

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Crispy fried pork chops with corn flake crust
London broil, Salisbury steak, Swiss steak
boiled potatoes, boiled cabbage, corned beef
English-muffin pizza with ketchup and hot dog slices
Velveeta cheese
Variations of fried Kam and stewed tomatoes
Canned rice (yes it’s a thing)

My poor mom cringes and thinks she failed us in the kitchen but we loved it all and it was plentiful at least. I still fry up the pork chops with corn flakes for my crew.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
My brother, who is in his mid-70s now, still has not forgiven me for being born. Oh, we get along all right -- but when Mom was "lying in" (back when having a baby meant five days in hospital) Dad was planning to take my brother out for this newfangled thing called "pizza." One of the neighbour ladies came trotting over with a tuna-noodle casserole, however, and Dad being a thrifty Scot took the opportunity to declare dinner on the table.

We weren't sure how to pronounce it. Some people thought it should be "PEET-za" while others said "PEE-ZA" or "PEE-SA" and a few called it a "Sicilian Pie." Don't matter what ya call 'em. It's all good eatin'.

Especially with pineapple. [badump-tiss!]

O.H.

My brother, who is in his mid-70s now, still has not forgiven me for being born. Oh, we get along all right -- but when Mom was "lying in" (back when having a baby meant five days in hospital) Dad was planning to take my brother out for this newfangled thing called "pizza." One of the neighbour ladies came trotting over with a tuna-noodle casserole, however, and Dad being a thrifty Scot took the opportunity to declare dinner on the table.

We weren't sure how to pronounce it. Some people thought it should be "PEET-za" while others said "PEE-ZA" or "PEE-SA" and a few called it a "Sicilian Pie." Don't matter what ya call 'em. It's all good eatin'.

Especially with pineapple. [badump-tiss!]

O.H.
You can't beat pineapple on pizza....

20210514_200850.jpg

Mom's meals were

Spaghetti
Taco's
Pot roast
Tuna and hamburger helper
Chicken usually baked but sometimes in the crockpot
Fish sticks
Chicken nuggets
Chile with beans
Keilbasa with sauerkraut
Hot dogs with tater tots or fries
Clam chowder
Beef stew
Chicken noodle soup
Fried oysters
liver with fried onions
Mushroom soup gravy over pork chops
Fried pork chops
Potato, veggie, ground beef casserole
Western meal that was seasoned ground beef, rice, diced tomatoes, onion and bell pepper, black olives.
Chicken & dumplings
Pot pies
Fish snapper, cod, trout, salmon
Steamer clams
Taco salad
Fried chicken
Reds: elbow macaroni, with a tomato sauce and diced hot dogs.
Steaks
Hamburgers

I was fortunate that mom was and still is a good cook. Wish I would have paid more attention to what she was doing in the kitchen.

Last edited:
70s and 80s - low fat vegetable / seed oils, carbs, and sugar. Though when I had some mcdonalds fries, they were made with beef lard (probably one of the only healthy things I unknowingly ate - unless there was the sugar ladened ketchup).

No Yank grub at our table, mate. It were British all the way. Steak & Kidney pie, shepherd's pie, cottage pie, pork pie...rhubarb pie.
Wall's sausages with mash and mushy pease was a favourite of mine.
Beans on toast, chip butty, watercress sarnie or 'scouse when we were skint.
We were lucky to get lamb with mint sauce or roast beef and Yorkshire puds on the odd Sunday.
Musn't forget the perennial take-aways, fish n' chips wrapped in newspaper (in the old days), or sausage rolls.
Mmm, I do believe I'm feeling a bit peckish just now...
I could do with a full English and a strong cup of Typhoo!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Having one tonight that was popular in our house in the fifties, sixties, seventies, etc., ham steak, spoon bread, and tomatoes.

No Yank grub at our table, mate. It were British all the way. Steak & Kidney pie, shepherd's pie, cottage pie, pork pie...rhubarb pie.
Wall's sausages with mash and mushy pease was a favourite of mine.
Beans on toast, chip butty, watercress sarnie or 'scouse when we were skint.
We were lucky to get lamb with mint sauce or roast beef and Yorkshire puds on the odd Sunday.
Musn't forget the perennial take-aways, fish n' chips wrapped in newspaper (in the old days), or sausage rolls.
Mmm, I do believe I'm feeling a bit peckish just now...
I could do with a full English and a strong cup of Typhoo!
I have to work pretty hard to pick out anything in that post that makes any sense to me.... but it sounds delicious and intriguing lol

I have to work pretty hard to pick out anything in that post that makes any sense to me.... but it sounds delicious and intriguing lol
Shepherd's pie is minced lamb topped with mashed potato, cottage pie is the beef equivalent. They both would be on the list if I asked any British person their top ten. Cottage pie along with Meatloaf are my ultimate comfort food.

Shepherd's pie is minced lamb topped with mashed potato, cottage pie is the beef equivalent. They both would be on the list if I asked any British person their top ten. Cottage pie along with Meatloaf are my ultimate comfort food.
I know shepherd's pie and rhubarb pie.

All meat loaf is not created equal LOL. I have eaten it with oatmeal or rice and a bunch of other stuff in it, ketchup and bacon on top......delicious. I have eaten "meatloaf" as a giant dry hamburger pattie.....not so much.

Gods, the idea of hot school lunches, especially since it didn't seem like Mom and Dad could afford to let my sister and I get them regularly, was just heaven. This in comparison to regular PB&J sandwiches with an apple, orange, or pear, maybe a fig newton or graham crackers. I was so clueless I'd had no idea I could beg work exchange from the school's service staff who brought the lunches in and presented them. (If I remember correctly I was actively engaged in self-preservation against the bully group/school's local neighborhood gang of peers.)

An interesting aside, however, my half-brother came back after his time in the military and taught my Dad how to skin dive for abalone and spearfish. From the time I was eight or so during ab season on the California north coast, we always had fresh abalone and many such kept back in the freezer. I didn't realize this was high dining and fine living. Honestly, after a point, one gets tired of breaded and pan-fried fresh ab steaks. The strange and fiercely ugly sea fish occasionally brought by spear or a heavy line left out while diving was a remarkable "improvement" at the table. When my parents got a used travel trailer Sis & I lived like coastal mountain goats every weekend while dad was in the ocean, and mom was having a moment of quiet without everyone on top of her.

Last edited:
Top Bottom