What's new

Two-Handed Razor Honing: Risky business?

When honing a straight razor i've heard that using two hands might be damaging to the edge.

I'm not sure how true that statement was.

I try not to use any pressure with the second hand and I rest it on the spine of the razor.

I was wondering if using two hands to get better control with the stroke in any way shape or form damaging to the edge.
What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance guys!

I use two hands with the stone on the bench. I use the second hand to just guide the razor along. It might not be the right way but it works for me. I’ve always done it like that.

I’ve tried hand held several times but I’m prone to making mistakes like that. I think it’s worth trying to learn the conventional hand held technique but ultimately you have to do what works best for you.

Last edited:
I use two hands with the stone on the bench. I use the second hand to just guide the razor along. It might not be the right way but it works for me. I’ve always done it like that.

I’ve tried hand held several times but I’m prone to making mistakes like that. I think it’s worth trying to learn the conventional hand held technique but ultimately you have to do what works best for you.
Thank you Tomo for sharing your experience. I agree, it's good to try different ways "but ultimately you have to do what works best for you."

i come from a knife sharpening background, so keep that in mind. With my SR on the stones, I use two hands. My right hand is the primary driver and my left hand rests gently on the blade to ensure even contact - no pressure really, just keeping tabs.
I come from the same background and feel so much more in control with two hands because of it. Thank you

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I used both hands plenty today. Correcting blade geometry and removing a fair amount of steel. Right hand was guiding and left hand fingers applying some torque over problem areas. I sometimes use both hands just to change things up or out of boredom also. Usually on the lower grit stones when I’m working there for a while.

I use both hands for bevel work and switch to honing in hand for the rest.
As long as you can control the pressure It doesn't matter what you do.
Find what works for you.

I do the same with knifes. The deburring and final edge is done by hand holding the stone.
In my previous career I worked as a carpenter. All the sharpening was done on small stones in hand. I always had a stone with me. Time is money:)

Think it was something said to help prevent heavy hands from ruining razors. I usually am just using 1 hand unless I am doing some heavy bevel work. Every now and then I will use a second hand on finishing if the razor is starting to grab the stone and I can't keep a consistent stroke as well. For beginners I feel like normally the second hand will do more harm then good, but I'm just speculating.

Its an in the moment deal for me. I have no issue being in control with one hand. If I feel like 2 hands is required I use 2, that would be the case in heavy correction work. With that said, 90% of my honing is done with 1 hand. I think what's important is what feels right for the honer. If it feels natural I believe the results will be better. Just make sure your not seeing adverse effects on the razor.

I use both hands for bevel work and switch to honing in hand for the rest.
As long as you can control the pressure It doesn't matter what you do.
Find what works for you.

I do the same with knifes. The deburring and final edge is done by hand holding the stone.
In my previous career I worked as a carpenter. All the sharpening was done on small stones in hand. I always had a stone with me. Time is money:)
That is an interesting way JPO! I wil give it a go since I do enjoy hand holding also and feel comfortable this way. Thank you!

Reactions: JPO
Its an in the moment deal for me. I have no issue being in control with one hand. If I feel like 2 hands is required I use 2, that would be the case in heavy correction work. With that said, 90% of my honing is done with 1 hand. I think what's important is what feels right for the honer. If it feels natural I believe the results will be better. Just make sure your not seeing adverse effects on the razor.
I like this take, not every stone is the same and neither is every razor. At some point you have to decide what is the steel and razor telling me. I feel comfortable with two hands for some half strokes just to guide the razor better but for x strokes I feel more comfortable using one hand and the stone at 45 degrees.

That is an interesting way JPO! I wil give it a go since I do enjoy hand holding also and feel comfortable this way. Thank you!
For smiling blades I hand hone from start to finish. I also use my index finger to add more control when I need to.
I also do all my honing standing up over my sink.
For me it's more difficult to control my pressure using two hand in this position. Sitting down adds more control.

Either way can work, and either way can have pitfalls but also benefits. On the bench I usually revert to using two hands, my left index finger just lightly resting on the toe of the razor to steer. I can feel the feedback towards the toe better sometimes that way. Also sometimes if a razor is a little floppy that can help (I have a couple in ivory that I haven't been able to get as tight as I want). Most of my honing lately has been in hand though and as I've gotten comfortable with it I think I prefer it, even with larger stones (none of mine are huge).

Starting out I honed in hand because somebody told me I should. I had problems controlling the pressure at the toe and usually underhoned out there. When I started honing on an ark I switched to bench honing and I used two hands because I needed more control. And I realized I was solving my toe pressure problem too. So I started doing my early work that way too. Eventually I came back to honing in hand even on arks and I had more experience and could feel what I was doing better.

Sometimes the size and shape of the razor makes it hard to control too. I have a skinny tang, 4/8 frameback that’s easy to flip into the stone if you're not careful. Two hands helps there.

This all depends on the stone(s) being used. For a coticule most times it’s one hand. For bench honing I use two hands up to the finishing stage.

Whatever works
I love honing with coticules and koppas in one hand but with bigger stones I like using both hands. Thank you WID

Reactions: Wid
For smiling blades I hand hone from start to finish. I also use my index finger to add more control when I need to.
I also do all my honing standing up over my sink.
For me it's more difficult to control my pressure using two hand in this position. Sitting down adds more control.
I've been two handing when doing rolling x strokes because it helps me control the blade better but I should give it a go with holding the stone and see how that goes, i've never tried it. Rolling x strokes are still a stroke I need to practice more.

Top Bottom