What's new

TWELFTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2021 Edition

Three weeks of shaves milestone...

Pre-War Tech
Gillette Nacet Stainless (21)
Acca Kappa boar
Art of Shaving Lavender shave cream, bowl lathered
Institut Karite Shea after-shave balm

Shave was fine. Pass and a half for a CCS. Still debating moving to a slightly more aggressive razor, perhaps an OC or Gillette adjustable. However, the Tech is still performing.

Shave #22

Prep
Handmade Crystal Menthol soap
Yaqi Sagrada Familia brush
Gillette Brasiliera
Gillette Wilkinson Sword India
Hattrick Aftershave

Good three pass shave, little bit rough but still almost BBS. It takes much more time and attention when shaving then with fresh blade, but it still cuts the hair and there is little or no irritation.

Sent from my Y7 using Tapatalk

Day/shave 21 with the Voskhod.

I switched to my NEW Long Comb today and got the best shave yet with this blade, at least after #1. It’s kind of like when I switched to the Short Comb. I flipped the blade and seemed to get an extra thick lather. Hard to tell if any of this helped or if its the razor. This Long Comb sometimes seems to be a little smoother than the Short Comb.

1613935869456.jpeg

OBIF SOTD #21
21-OBIF_2021-02-21.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49
Soap: TFS Mandarino Tachibana
Razor: Worlds Finest Safety Razor
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (21)
ASL: TFS Mandarino Tachibana

Another good shave. :biggrin:

To celebrate three weeks of OBIF, my green (20 counter) D20 came out to play (after a long rest). :w00t:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210221_200220.jpg

Shave#21

As I have now used all my brushes, soaps and razors (except for my Parker SR1 shavette) since the beginning of the month I now have free reign of my shaving gear until the end of the month. Tonight I went with Stirling Sharp Dressed Man because besides being a great performer it has an amazing scent. Lathered with the Yaqi purple haze it just makes me happy. My razor was the Yaqi slant mounted on the Parker 26C handle the shave was just fantastic.
With just one week to go I am feeling confident that I can finish out the month on one blade

Sunday, February 21, 2021

Finally was able to squeeze a shave in since the ice storm craziness started.

Preshave: hot shower and sugar scrub. Used The Fat Protolather since I’m out of Preshave.
Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Bowl: Savanna Shave Scuttle
Brush: RazoRock 400 Aluminum Handle Plissoft Knot
Razor: Rockwell 6S with plate 4
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless shave 14
Aftershave: Nivea Aftershave Balm for Sensitive Skin
EDT: None today

20210222_090749-01-01-01.jpeg
Shave no.22.

I'm afraid I'm starting to bore you, but there's nothing to complain about this shave either. On setting 5 of my Fatboy the blade did not even show the roughness of the last shaves. Gently and thoroughly she removed all the stubble. On setting 7, however, the roughness was back (atg), so I dialed the Fatboy back to setting 5, smoothness galore.
Whether there is a direct connection (roughness caused by greater blade gap?) I can not say of course. But it might be the case...

And besides: effortless bbs in 3 passes.

Last edited:
Shave #23

Gillette Wilkinson Sword India (23)
Yaqi Familia Sagrada synth. brush
Palmolive Cool shave cream
Wilkinson Sword Classic
Old Spice Whitewater AS

Totally forgot about this razor...started DE shaving with this, but as I got my hands on other razors it was sitting on the shelf for a long time.
Loaded it with blade and it shaved perfectly. No irritation, smooth and near BBS in two passes. Great! But the sound....I forgot about the sound it makes :D
It sounds like a lawnmover cutting fallen branches...sound of cutting hair is so amplified that it's almost funny. It glides without tugging but probably that plastic construction acts as an amplifier :)
Great shave :)

Sent from my Y7 using Tapatalk

Shaves 15 thru 17
Palm-stropping is a daily thing now.
I've changed the Sabre from #1 to #2 baseplate and that is definitely helping things.
Getting to a DFS (very close to BBS) seems to be smoothing out nicely now. I think my technique is really shaping up. I seem to be experiencing a much better shave overall, but it is taking a bit longer to get the results I am looking for.

SWMBO is actually supporting the experiment (to my amazement) by setting the alarm clock 15 min earlier so I'll have more time to shave.

Still using the exact same setup:
Blackland Sabre w/GEM PTFE (17)
Proraso Green (tub)
Razorock Plissoft Synthetic (Italian Flag)

i was just thinking about this!!! I hope everyone is enjoying their one blade shaves this month.

Since it's almost february and @goby hasn't posted anything yet, I'll decided to start the challenge this time. (@goby hasn't be online since feb,28 2020)
May the blade be with you, and I hope @goby is ok.
I'll just reposte the original rules. To enter just name your blade and add yourself to the list. Reviews of shaves are of course optional. As for ,my blade choice I'm still undecided.

It's that time of year. Time for the world famous "ONE BLADE IN FEBRUARY CHALLENGE!!"

Each year we have more and more participants. In the first year many used the legendary Personna 74 blade. The next six years participants used "mortal" blades, like Derby, Dorco, Astra, Feather, and Lions. It shocking how many shaves you can really get out of a blade, even a lowly Dorco or Derby can go the distance.

Here are the "rules":

1. "Try" to use one blade for the entire month of February. That means if you want to try a "mortal" blade, like a Derby or a Dorco, and you can get it to last 15 days, feel free to use a new Derby Day 16 and continue. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4.)

2. Push your blade as far as it can go. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4)

3. Have fun! (See Rule 4)

4. There are no rules! (See Rule 3)

This isn't a "contest," so if you want to use some magic gizmo to extend the life of your blade, feel free. I will be cleaning my blade with water each day, then swishing in a jar of rubbing alcohol. Some may hand strop it. Just share your method, shaving hardware and software, and have fun!

Feel free to use injectors or SE's. And if there is a way for you straight razors users to play, feel free (like no honing for a month?)

As usual, I'm going to offer a couple of Personna 74 blades in exchange for a donation to Sue Moore's fund. I'll post them today or tomorrow. They'll be $10.00 each. As always, I don't profit...you'll make the donation directly to Sue's fund and I'll send out the blade to you.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Top Bottom