What's new

TWELFTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2021 Edition

20210224_094125-01.jpeg

Shave no. 24.
All good things come to an end, they say. It's been the final shave with this chinese made Gillette Wilkinson Sword!

My verdict: I am very impressed by the performance of this blade. She gave me plenty of excellent close and smooth shaves right from the start (approx. 18-20 were absolutely flawless). With 24 shaves in the books the declining sharpness of the blade finally has come to a level in which the blade still cuts (granted, it does) but she clearly now lacks the desired level of comfort I seek to have in my shaves (4 passes needed to get to DFS, slight begin of skin irritation/itching).

The blade, however, is a clear keeper in my books and I likely will stock some tucks once the ongoing sabbatical has been completed.

I'm going to switch blades now for the remaining shaves of this month to align my shaves (and my face) to "sharper" blades again...

The upcoming month of March will be exclusively dedicated to the mysteroius KAI blade (PIFed in line with the rules of the sabbatical). Looking forward to trying this blade (new to me)...

Have some great shaves and enjoy your OBIF!

Schick Super Stainless #24

I think this blade will last until end of the month.
Yesterday it felt rather tuggy, but todays shave was smooth.
Not as sharp as in the beginning but still cutting.

Razor: Gillette Rocket
Blade: Schick Super Stainless (24)
Brush: Yaqi High Mountain Badger 24mm
Soap: Razorock Irish Countryside
Aftershave: RR Irish Countryside

IMG-2074.jpg

It's always a good feeling to know that you have gotten every last bit of value from something disposable. But not at the expense of your face! Great job, and thanks for trying a blade I probably never would have taken on myself.
You can trustfully give it a try (if you like blades as say Nacets, Personna Platinum, the german Wilkinson Sword or Rapira Platinum Lux; these are quite comparable imo!)... the performance came quite as a surprise...

Last edited:
shave #25

Prep
FaTip Piccolo
Gilette Wilkinson India (25)
Tabac Original stick
Cuba Paris AS

Near bbs shave with little bit more attention on technique. I can feel the roughness of the blade, and I'm riding the cap...it's still sharp enough, but really rough now. Didn't have any irritation but blade lost it's ability to glide effortlessly.
As I don't have big issues with irritation blade will be used untill the end...but I can't wait to bin it and take a fresh blade....preferably something else than Gillette Wilkinson Sword :D
It's actually a great cheap blade...but I need a change :)

proxy.php

Sent from my Y7 using Tapatalk

India: 1 - China: 0. [emoji106]
Happy shaves!
not really :D I was reading your posts and it's almost the same experience. I would never go over shave no. 15 with this blade, that's when it started degrading....but I'm maybe more mazohistic than you :D
Blades are almost identical as I see...so there isn't a winner here...it's more of a tie :D

Sent from my Y7 using Tapatalk

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210224_203358.jpg

Shave#24

For tonight's's shave I decided to use the Wilkinson Sword new Classic TTO. A mild shaver it gives a good shave. The soap was Proraso red applied with the Omega professional boar it is my favourite sandalwood scent. The shave was very smooth and enjoyable, the mild razor gave a wonderful shave with the blade that is definitely a bit worse for wear. This month is definitely teaching me how to get the most from a blade.

OBIF SOTD #24
SOTD-WR2-Y_2021-02-24.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Soap: Rasozero Agrumella
Razor: Wolfman WR2-SB 1.25 head on a "world's finest" handle
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (24)
ASL: Rasozero Agrumella with added menthol

A good shave. :biggrin:

I'm acclimatizing to my new super duper Wolfman (2nd shave in). It's totally different to any other DE razor I've used. The first thing I noticed was that it seems to make the blade sharper... which can only be a good thing. :laugh:

The rest of my (definitely "budget" by comparison) kit did an excellent job too, but I didn't expect anything less. :letterk1:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Shave #13, Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Preshave: shower, Proraso green preshave
Soap: Proraso green
Brush: Zenith boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S, plate 3
Blade: Astra SS
Aftershave: Nivea Cooling
Notes: “Groundhog Day” revisited. This one blade continues to give stellar shaves. Felt the Proraso green for hours.

Top Bottom