What's new

TWELFTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2021 Edition

Since it's almost february and @goby hasn't posted anything yet, I'll decided to start the challenge this time. (@goby hasn't be online since feb,28 2020)
May the blade be with you, and I hope @goby is ok.
I'll just reposte the original rules. To enter just name your blade and add yourself to the list. Reviews of shaves are of course optional. As for ,my blade choice I'm still undecided.

It's that time of year. Time for the world famous "ONE BLADE IN FEBRUARY CHALLENGE!!"

Each year we have more and more participants. In the first year many used the legendary Personna 74 blade. The next six years participants used "mortal" blades, like Derby, Dorco, Astra, Feather, and Lions. It shocking how many shaves you can really get out of a blade, even a lowly Dorco or Derby can go the distance.

Here are the "rules":

1. "Try" to use one blade for the entire month of February. That means if you want to try a "mortal" blade, like a Derby or a Dorco, and you can get it to last 15 days, feel free to use a new Derby Day 16 and continue. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4.)

2. Push your blade as far as it can go. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4)

3. Have fun! (See Rule 4)

4. There are no rules! (See Rule 3)

This isn't a "contest," so if you want to use some magic gizmo to extend the life of your blade, feel free. I will be cleaning my blade with water each day, then swishing in a jar of rubbing alcohol. Some may hand strop it. Just share your method, shaving hardware and software, and have fun!

Feel free to use injectors or SE's. And if there is a way for you straight razors users to play, feel free (like no honing for a month?)

As usual, I'm going to offer a couple of Personna 74 blades in exchange for a donation to Sue Moore's fund. I'll post them today or tomorrow. They'll be $10.00 each. As always, I don't profit...you'll make the donation directly to Sue's fund and I'll send out the blade to you.

Good luck and have fun!!!

I'm in. I have a brand new (to me) Blackland Sabre to break in and just received my blade sampler pack from TryAblade.
I will (try) to hone my craft with a GEM (Persona) PTFE coated SE blade with my new Sabre for the entire month.

So I've finaly decided on an Asco super stainless red/blue blade.

@Mike M - BIC Chrome Platinum
@Messygoon - Astra SP
@GermanShaver! - ASCO - Super Stainless (Red / Blue)
@Invicta - Gillette Nacet
@TexOkie Shaver - Feather
@T.Orso - BIC Chrome Platinum (30)
@psfred - Sputnik

I can never manage to get more than 3 shaves from my blades.
I'm in just to see how many shaves I can push without tearing up my face.

I'll use 7 O'clock Black (sharpest I have), and these last me atleast 3 shaves, so, hoping for a Longshot.

Also, 7 O'clock Black is considered a mortal blade, right ?

@Messygoon - Astra SP
@psfred - Sputnik
@Aziraphale - GEM (Persona) PTFE SE
@Contact_vs_Feedback - Gillette 7 O'clock Black

I have never done this but am willing to try I will get in with this Shark Super Stainless:
Shark.jpg

I know it is a mortal blade but I have never tried one. I did buy a 100 pack based on reviews.

@Messygoon - Astra SP
@psfred - Sputnik
@bobmsp - Gillette Platinum (Light Blue)
@wmadoty - Shark Super Stainless

Thanks for doing this @GermanShaver! :thumbsup:

I'm in. :biggrin:
My OBIF will be a Personna Platinum Chrome (aka Personna Red, and various other names).

@Messygoon - Astra SP
@psfred - Sputnik
@bobmsp - Gillette Platinum (Light Blue)
@wmadoty - Shark Super Stainless
@Saxonbowman - undecided
@hopper_64 - undecided
@Cal - Personna Platinum Chrome

Top Bottom