What's new

TWELFTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2021 Edition

Bic #48

With Haslinger Schafmilch, and my usual prep and finish. The blade is going strong.

95B7D1DC-689D-4F60-92C7-1F8B04E15E23.jpeg

After a break of 2 days, I shaved today.
It is at the moment the lathering started, I realised how much I missed the shaving routine.

New Gillette 7 O'clock Black (1) today combined with Arko, and the experience was a revelation.

RazoRock Game Changer OC 84
Gillette 7 O'clock Black (1)
Arko
Omega 10005
Anherb ASC

IMG_20210218_213311.jpg

Shave no. 18
Shower and Prep
Tabac Original stick
Yaqi Familia Sagrada Synth.
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (18)
FaTip Piccolo
CHH Tobacco Aftershave

Same setup, and exactly the same outcome as yesterday. I cannot say that the blade is not sharp anymore...if I get BBS in two passes (ok, with little FaTip) then it's obviously sharp, but...
No tugging but it's rough. I paid attention this time, and still got little bit irritation like yesterday. Now...maybe blade is deteriorating and Piccolo is too aggressive now. AS also showed me some teeth :D
Tommorow another razor, King C. Gillette is the mildest I have so I will see if it's the blade.

I'm actually nitpicking :D Shave was great, BBS, not smooth as before but as it stands, blade has lot to offer in coming days :)

Sent from my Y7 using Tapatalk

20210218_161735-01.jpeg

Shave #18. Whilst the shave result was absolutely nice (almost bbs all over) the xtg/atg passes were rather unpleasant and a bit too rough for my liking. Furthermore I needed some extra touch ups. Since my Rocca basically is a very smooth razor I wonder whether the blade has reached a level where the decrease of sharpness becomes more and more obvious. Or maybe it's just wear of the edges instead...

I'm going to check it tomorrow...

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210218_212459.jpg

Shave#18

Tonight I have been using the worst soap I possess, Wilkinson Sword Blue puck. Using an Omega professional boar recently PIFd to me by @Multum in parvo my first loading of the brush produced enough lather for one and a half passes, not the brushes fault mine for not loading long enough and the soap for being rubbish (I would dearly love to 3017 this soap). I continued with the Parker 26C as it gave such a sterling service yesterday and it did not disappoint today either. It gave a smooth close shave again and it will be getting much more use before the end of the month.
As for the blade despite the slight deterioration in performance last week it is still giving good close shaves.

Shave 13 was much much better after having palm-stropped the blade a few times. It really seemed to do the trick.
Shave 14 I noticed that the end is getting nearer for this blade. Today's shave was not what I would refer to as a 'good shave'.
I didn't nick myself nor was there any razor burn but it seems like I really need to make far more passes to get to a DFS. I think from now until the end of the month, my shaves are going to end up being 'close enough for government work', but really no better. I really am discovering that I'm needing way more time to get the results I want. I'll see how it goes on the weekend, but I may be changing this blade sooner than later.

OBIF SOTD #18
SOTD-WFSR-Y_2021-02-18.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49
Soap: TFS Mandarino Tachibana
Razor: Worlds Finest Safety Razor
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (18)
ASL: TFS Mandarino Tachibana

A WOW shave. :punk:
Amazing. How can it get better than excellent? I dunno, but I'll keep on taking the medicine:
OCD-Enhancer_small.jpg

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Schick Super Stainless #18

IMG-2021.jpg

Razor: Matador Bakelit
Blade: Schick Super Stainless
Brush: Hans Baier Silvertip
Soap: Lea Stick
Aftershave: Proraso Green

Had low expectations of todays shave since I usually don't get close shaves with this razor.
Well maybe it just needed an older blade:001_smile.
First pass started out a bit tuggy but got smoother during the shave.
Final result was very good. Close shave with no nicks, cuts or weepers.
Have not flipped the blade.

So I did not shave yesterday, as shave 17 left my skin slightly irritated the whole day. So I did a one day pause and chnaged to a fresh blade. Honestly it's a huge difference. The fresh blade is way more effective than on use 17. But I am still surprised how long it lasted. However the decrease in quality of shves was very rapid at about shave 14.
ASCO Super Stainless (Red/Blue) #18 (switched the blade on shave 18)
Razor: King C. Gillette
Soap: Nivea cream
Aftershave: Aramis

Pre-War Tech
Gillette Nacet Stainless (19)
Omega 10049 boar
Proraso Blue shave cream, bowl lathered
Proraso Blue after shave balm

Forgot to switch razor out. No mind, the shave was fine.

I think it's helping (with the quality of the shaves) that I use the same razor. It is normally my habit to bounce around from razor to razor to ensure all get into the rotation. But doing so keeps me from truly nailing down my technique with a particular razor. I've done a number of One-blade-for-a-month challenges.

Never done a Use-the-same-razor-for-a-month challenge. It's probably been six years since I used a single razor for an extended period.

20210219_114210-01-01.jpeg

Shave #19.
The blade is back on track. Excellent and smooth shave today with a pleasant level of comfort. Just a tad of roughness. After having completed three passes and some minor touch ups, my face felt "oil on glas"-like.

The German 37 basically never fails to meet my expectations, but today's shave even was better than expected.

Great combo.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Pre-War Tech
Gillette Nacet Stainless (19)
Omega 10049 boar
Proraso Blue shave cream, bowl lathered
Proraso Blue after shave balm

Forgot to switch razor out. No mind, the shave was fine.

I think it's helping (with the quality of the shaves) that I use the same razor. It is normally my habit to bounce around from razor to razor to ensure all get into the rotation. But doing so keeps me from truly nailing down my technique with a particular razor. I've done a number of One-blade-for-a-month challenges.

Never done a Use-the-same-razor-for-a-month challenge. It's probably been six years since I used a single razor for an extended period.

Not saying you should do a Fixed, but, if you see it as a good idea your timing couldn't be better...

Fixed4Kit+LuckyTiger.Novermber.2017.JPG

Fixed4.Nice.3-18.640.JPG

3-20-20.Kit.Fixed.Vitos.136.Cop-Man.640.JPG

A Fixed 4 Month.jpg

I've not yet decided on doing a Fixed this year, but March is fast approaching. A Fixed is always a good thing.

I think I've done maybe four Fixed Fours. Some weren't in March. Pick kit you know is at least okay, and learn it deeply.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom