What's new

TWELFTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2021 Edition

Same set up as yesterday, as I seek to gauge how the blade is doing. Felt a little tuggy. Didn't know if it was a factor of the blade, or having two-days growth.

Pre-War Tech
Gillette Nacet Stainless (17)
Burma Shave boar
Haslinger Sandalwood, pressed into stick form, face lathered
Art of Shaving Bergamot and Neroli after shave balm

Blade's fine. One pass and touch up--CCS.

Shave 9

Proraso Pre-Post
B&M Seville
Rooney Best Badger - Old Reliable
Gillette England Flat-Bottom NEW w/ Aftermarket Handle
King C Gillette - 8 shaves
Figaro Bluice + 444 Balm
3 Pass w/ Touchups
DFS

The blade is still smooth and there is a tiny bit of tugging. It has drooped its last droop though. The shave was okay, but the blade is not very sharp at this point. Even with buffing, the beard just shrugs it off. I could try opening up the razor a bit, but to be honest, the blade is just done. It is going in the bin tonight and I will be out of the challenge.

King C Gillette - 9 shaves. Final verdict for me is that this is a good brick and mortar blade, but nothing special. Sharp and smooth but pricey. Cost per shave for me is .60/9 = 6.6 cents per shave. Still worlds better than a 5 blade cartridge, but 2-4 times higher than most other blades.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Flipped the Wizamet blade. It's on it 3rd outing.
2-17-21.Ever-Ready.Executive.Executive#5.Vitos.640.JPG

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

proxy.php

Shave no. 17
Shower and Prep
Tabac Original stick
Yaqi Familia Sagrada Synth.
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (17)
FaTip Piccolo
CHH Tobacco Aftershave

This one was strange. Shave was....I cannot say tuggy, but rougher than usual. BBS in just two passes, which is normal for me when using Piccolo, but rough. I can see a little bit of iritation on the neck...but nothing special, AS was stinging a bit...but also nothing special.

Is this a sign that the blade is finally giving up? I doubt that I didn't make good preparation, it was as usual.
Hmm...tomorow i will do exactly the same so I will see if it's me or blade :)

OBIF SOTD #17
SOTD-WFSR-R_2021-02-17.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49
Soap: TFS Mandarino Tachibana
Razor: Worlds Finest Safety Razor
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (17)
ASL: TFS Mandarino Tachibana

An excellent shave. :biggrin:
All the kit performed at optimum (even the operator :letterk1:). Zen shaving sure can't be beat. :sorcerer:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Does flipping the blade provide any advantage, shave-wise? I tried it but I did not realize any significant effect...

Um, maybe, in blade longevity. Not otherwise as far as I know. Just my opinion. No real evidence that I know of (but I'm no expert).

It's a simple thing to do with no downside.

Wizamet SI Tuck.png

I only have about a thousand of my favorite blades so extending their useful lives is of great importance to me in case I live to be 135 years old.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Um, maybe, in blade longevity. Not otherwise as far as I know. Just my opinion. No real evidence that I know of (but I'm no expert).

It's a simple thing to do with no downside.

View attachment 1224522

I only have about a thousand of my favorite blades so extending their useful lives is of great importance to me in case I live to be 135 years old.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I see. If you consider the constant medical progress... one has to be prepared.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210217_202314.jpg

Shave#17

After using some more aggressive razors recently I decided to dial it back a bit by using the Parker 26C, a less aggressive OC razor and was rewarded with an incredibly comfortable and close shave. Tonight's cream was TOBS sandalwood, although not my favourite TOBS scent it lathered and performed very well.
This is now the most shaves I have had from a single blade so I am now in uncharted waters.

Wondering if this is just a fluke, or if all Astra SS blades are this good.

From one blade to the next, one lot to the next, any blade from the St Petersburg Gillette factory will be consistent.

This includes:
Gillette Silver Blue (light blue)
Gillette Platinum (dark blue)
Gillette Rubie Platinum
Perma-Sharp
Iridium super
Astra Super Stainless (blue)
Astra Super Platinum (green)
Sputnik
Polsilver
Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless (green)
Gillette 7 O’Clock Sharp Edge (yellow)
Nacet

By a large margin, the most popular of these blades is Astra SP. My best experience has been with Astra SS and Nacet, but all of these blades are going to be consistently good.

Last edited:
Pre-War Tech
Gillette Nacet Stainless (18)
The Body Shop synth
Cella, face lathered
Mennen Afta

One pass plus touch up. Taking a little more touch up to get a stubble-free shave. Almost equivalent to a second pass, probably. Might be time to move the blade to a more aggressive razor. Shaves are still comfortable--irritation and nick free.

Top Bottom