What's new

Turned a corner with my Weck - no going back!

So I've been into wet shaving for about four months now and so far I have amassed 3 DE razors, 3 brushes and various soaps. I was interested in straight razor shaving. Found a nice one in an antique shop and bought it. Then I decided that before sending it off for honing and putting money into I should really see if it is something I wanted to pursue. So I went online and bought a Weck Sextoblade for $4, understanding that it is not technically a straight but probably the closest I could get on a budget without actually being one. Watched videos. Prepared mentally.

First time I opened it up, all I could think was "O dear, this has been a mistake.". Cut myself pretty good and thought that this may have been my first and last foray. Being the hardhead I am, though, I decided that each day I was going to tackle the cheeks only with it. One pass, with the grain, finish with the DE. After a week of that, I decided to go one pass on the neck, WTG. Again, success. I felt more comfortable holding the razor and the angles were starting to make sense. I am off today, and decided to do a full two-pass shave with the Weck. Took my time, re-lathered to keep slick, and...full two pass shave, no blood, reasonably comfortable feedback from the alum block. And I am now hooked. I am now looking at a Feather SS because I am not quite ready to get into honing and stropping daily. But I can see that down the road for me. I get it now. It's such an organic, visceral and thrilling manner of shaving. I see a rabbit hole, and it looks deep.

The sexto is a good starter razor.
$8E88A482-6F74-41C9-AC29-8895C07CF6D4-11010-00001D9C663846B6.jpg

Great work! You're inspiring me to look at straight razor shaving down the road. I'm not there yet, but it's so good to hear about the success of others.

Great work! You're inspiring me to look at straight razor shaving down the road. I'm not there yet, but it's so good to hear about the success of others.
I am early in the learning curve, but starting to feel like I can actually do it successfully. The key is slow, incremental steps. I keep hearing that here, and it is true. The blades for the Weck are super sharp, but one bad turn taught me a lot and strongly encouraged me not to make the same mistake again! And two passes with the Weck got me a pretty darned close shave. I have really sensitive skin and cannot shave against the grain without lots of ugly bumps and ingrown hairs. This has actually been easier on my skin, which really surprised me. Think twice, cut once, don't make sudden or impulsive movements. That has been the key. And the Weck has been a good cheap way to find out that I enjoy it.

The wecks are a good introduction by all accounts (never used one myself) I think you'll enjoy the Feather(s) when you get to them. Then there are the straights it's not just one bunny hole it's an entire warren - enjoy :)

Congrats on going straight! There's a learning curve, of course, but the key is to take it slow and not get discouraged. Once you get comfortable with it, it's the gentlest yet most effective and precise way to shave. I started last May, got the hang of it by July, and never looked back. After some experimentation, my daily shaver is the Kai Captain Excelia + Feather Artist Club Pro Super blade. Feather AC blades are amazing. Each Pro Super blade lasts me about six weeks.

I have experienced far less irritation shaving with a straight. I just wish it hadn't taken me 40 years to try it.

Reminds me that I need to use mine more. It's been a good while.

Today offered a good opportunity (Saturdays at my office gym).
I took my time, didn't push it going ATG, and was rewarded with error-free excellent results.

I did use a disposable (the gym provides them) for a little touch-up with the lather remaining in my Omega Mixed Midget.
There was really quite little to do!

Today offered a good opportunity (Saturdays at my office gym).
I took my time, didn't push it going ATG, and was rewarded with error-free excellent results.

I did use a disposable (the gym provides them) for a little touch-up with the lather remaining in my Omega Mixed Midget.
There was really quite little to do!

:thumbup:

Top Bottom