What's new

TTO D/E Razor Kits

I'm looking for a razor to get started with. I am looking for more details about these three sets. Has anyone purchased any? What type of razor is included in these kits?

Dad's Old Time Razor Set
THE GENTS SHOP Mug Shaving Set With DOUBLE-EDGE RAZOR (651DE) and THE GENTS SHOP Gillette-Type DOUBLE-EDGE Razor & Mug Shave Brush On Stand (DE03)

If I had to guess, the razor is most likely a Parker - Indian copy of the Gillette TTO superspeed.

These sets are ok- and you can probably do better here.

If you're not adverse to used gear, I would suggest looking for a nice vintage Gillette superspeed - they're better made than the Parkers and a good example that will give you years of use will sell for anywhere between $10 and $20 in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

As for a brush, you can start with an inexpensive boar brush - Omega ($14), Surrey or Wilkinson ($5 - $6) will do the job to start - alternately, if you want to get a decent badger brush, Crabtree & Evelyn sell a best badger (best, NOT pure) for $35, that is a great little brush.

As far as I'm concerned, you can skip the stand - they just waste counter space and are totally unnecessary, you can get inexpensive brush stands for $5 to $10 depending on whether you want a plastic or metal one.

Just my $0.02.

I'm looking for a razor to get started with. I am looking for more details about these three sets. Has anyone purchased any? What type of razor is included in these kits?
You can do a lot better buying the best components separately. If you want a TTO, you might want to consider a used Gillette. You can get one cheap on ebay... or you can get a like-new razor on ebay... or you might luck out and get one that is cheap and like-new. :biggrin:

If you don't need a TTO, you might like a used Gillette Tech or a new Merkur. The Merkur HD model is really good.

I like classicshaving.com for obtaining both a good Merkur and a good Vulfix brush.... mine is the #849 Pure Badger.... but there are lots of other reasonably priced badger hair brushes.

And I agree with Suzuki that you don't need a brush stand...... unless you get a wooden handled brush.

Hang around B&B for awhile and you will pick up some good tips on which razor, which brush.... and what you need to pay for a quality shaving setup.

Two days ago I was trying to make the same decisions you are. After reading many posts concerning "best starter razor", "best soap", and "which blade(s) to use", I was finally ready to order the different components for my starter set on Sunday. The following setup, which was compiled from my research on the topics stated above, is heading my way as we speak and the total cost (including shipping) was only $63.??.

Merkur HD razor - $29.99 from Vintage blades (Classicshaving.com carries them as well)

DE blade sampler pack (Economy) - $8.75 from westcoastshaving.com

Honeybee 3 soap sampler - $8.99 from ebay seller honey0260 http://stores.ebay.com/Honeybee-Spa-Soaps

I bought a brush and dish four months ago when I started using soap. I bought them at walmart for <$10

If you do a search, you can find many posts concerning the various components you'll need and there are many wiser than I here in the area of DE, so I'll let them make the recommendations. Have fun and a Happy New Year!

Another thing that helped me is that Costco has AOS starter kits for 29.97 that include a pure badger brush, big tub o' SC, preshave oil and after shave.
Good stuff, and all you would need is a razor and blades to get going.

Hench

yes, it is a parker, parkers are awefull quality, if you want a brand new TTO, you should check out the feather popular or the weishi, both can be had for under 20 bucks,

The "dad's old time razor" is indeed the Parker (90R). You could do worse, but I'm no longer as fond of it as I was a year ago. I've had no trouble with the quality of the Parkers (I own four) and this was the very razor I began with, so I assure you that you can get a good start with one. Still, I'd probably second what others have said in this thread that you should probably look for a Superspeed if you're dead set on TTO, or get the Merkur HD if you're really looking for the best beginner's kit.

You may also wish to consider a Gillette Tech. It is not a TTO, but it is the smoothest shaver I have ever used, and great if you are only starting out with a DE. Also, they are fairly cheap, so you should have no trouble finding a nice one for little money.

if you live in europe, the cheapest NEW manufactired DE to start with is probobly the Wilkinson classic DE, i have seen them priced between 2,5 and 5 euros, and considering they tend to come with 5 german wilkinson blades, its a good deal, i can get them from a supermarket near my house for 2,70.

if you live in the usa, theres alot of ebay offers on SS and slims, you can probobly get one under 10-15 bucks shipped, but if you want a brand new TTO, a feather popular or a weishi are your best bet, both can be had for under $20 brand new,

Top Bottom