What's new

Trying to narrow down the SE choices.

Looking for some direction from the SE guys.

I am currently shaving with a 76' SS. I am getting into the group buy for SE blades. Ill have to buy an SE razor to put the blades in though...... Is there any particular razor I should be chasing? Im sure Ill end up with multiple's, just looking for a jumping off point!

Thanks,
Chris

Looking for some direction from the SE guys.

I am currently shaving with a 76' SS. I am getting into the group buy for SE blades. Ill have to buy an SE razor to put the blades in though...... Is there any particular razor I should be chasing? Im sure Ill end up with multiple's, just looking for a jumping off point!

Thanks,
Chris

A "Must have" SE razor is a GEM 1912. They are outstanding razors and if you are getting into SE shaving you will eventually want one. It's a great razor for you to start off on if you are presently using a '76 SS. They are pretty comparable. You can pick these up on the bay or BST thread on the forums for cheap and their are a ton of them out there and avail all the time! ($10-$15 Bucks) After you have been into SE shaving (I know you will love them!) you can get the other SE razor types Micromatics, G-Bars, Every Ready 1924's etc. Good luck in your hunting! :thumbup1:

a "must have" se razor is a gem 1912. They are outstanding razors and if you are getting into se shaving you will eventually want one. It's a great razor for you to start off on if you are presently using a '76 ss. They are pretty comparable. You can pick these up on the bay or bst thread on the forums for cheap and their are a ton of them out there and avail all the time! ($10-$15 bucks) after you have been into se shaving (i know you will love them!) you can get the other se razor types micromatics, g-bars, every ready 1924's etc. Good luck in your hunting! :thumbup1:

+1

Thanks for the suggestions. I actualy found a 1912 at a local antique, but they kept asking me to make them n offer, and I had no clue what the razor was worth. Really weird exp. there. Maybe Ill go offer them $10 if they still have it in th A.M. Current;y bidding on a micomatic on the bay as well.....

Thanks for the suggestions. I actualy found a 1912 at a local antique, but they kept asking me to make them n offer, and I had no clue what the razor was worth. Really weird exp. there. Maybe Ill go offer them $10 if they still have it in th A.M. Current;y bidding on a micomatic on the bay as well.....

Offer them $5

P

Pjotr

The standard GEM 1912 in all it's guises (GEM Junior, GEM Junior "Fatty Handle", GEM Junior "Not so Fatty Handle") is a good starting razor and for many is the end point razor too. I think it would be wise to avoid the more "aggressive" razors such as the Open Comb Micromatic, the Ever Ready 1924 or the Streamline and/or Jewel (if indeed you can get hold of them!) but as for the rest I don't think you can go wrong. The Feather Weight or the G-Bar are good starters. Light, inexpensive and mild shavers.

From what I've heard the head designs of the Feather Weight, G-Bar and Contours are pretty much identical so amongst that lot it's just a matter of different handles, weight, look, etc.

Have fun.

Micromatics are great as well but note that the open comb MM is a little more aggressive than the others. The MM Clug Pruf is a middle ground and the bullet tip MM is very mild. They will command a little higher price due to their TTO mechanism. I think (if the razor is in good shape) offering $10 bucks is about right for the GEM 1912. Good Luck! :thumbup1:

Yea the lady was acting strange, and telling me that she spent all day at an estate sale, and all she bought was the 1912. It is a slant as well. When she explained that she was there all day Sunday, I felt like she was pushing the price, and then wouldnt tell me what she wanted for it. Now that I know what they are worth I can make her a fiar offer.

Chris

Yea the lady was acting strange, and telling me that she spent all day at an estate sale, and all she bought was the 1912. It is a slant as well. When she explained that she was there all day Sunday, I felt like she was pushing the price, and then wouldnt tell me what she wanted for it. Now that I know what they are worth I can make her a fiar offer.

Chris

Wait... a 'slant' 1912?

Not sure on the "slant" But the head was def. not straight. The guy working iwth her said it was intentional. I get pics if its still there.

Let me say this. I have recieved 2 offers at this point to basicaly PIF me an SE. I never thought to run into a group of such nice people. It has inspired me to run a PIF of my own. I think it will be for a 59' Fatboy. Perfect working order. What a great community.

Thanks,
Chris

Not sure on the "slant" But the head was def. not straight. The guy working iwth her said it was intentional. I get pics if its still there.

Just making sure, you mean it looked like this:
full

where the blade is kind of 'twisted', right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have to do a sanity check tomorrow when I head over there, but Im starting to think the head may have been bent. My lack of exp. combined with the awkwardness of the situation has me thinking that th razor may be damaged goods.

I will have to do a sanity check tomorrow when I head over there, but Im starting to think the head may have been bent. My lack of exp. combined with the awkwardness of the situation has me thinking that th razor may be damaged goods.

Sounds like it. There aren't any slant SEs. The blade is too thick.

Top Bottom