What's new

Truncated Cone Bullets

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I understand the concept behind them, but are there any disadvantages? I would only use them as range rounds if I picked some up.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
No disadvantages for range or target practice. The tapered, cone shaped bullet, is more accurate at distance than a standard flat tip with straight sides. Many competitors prefer the flat cone over standard cone shaped slugs because they leave nice clear, circular holes for positive, undisputed scores.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
TC is my preferred bullet shape for semi-auto pistol reloads. While they don't have the sharp shoulders of a SWC, they leave a more distinct hole in paper than a RN bullet profile does. Jeff Cooper used to say that if you were prohibited in carrying a JHP, carry a TC with as large a meplat as possible that still functions reliably in a semi-auto pistol.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The "Keith-style" semiwadcutter is to me, above all things ...

Elmer Keith - Wikipedia

proxy.php

I make them, shoot them, and believe in them.

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
TC is my preferred bullet shape for semi-auto pistol reloads. While they don't have the sharp shoulders of a SWC, they leave a more distinct hole in paper than a RN bullet profile does. Jeff Cooper used to say that if you were prohibited in carrying a JHP, carry a TC with as large a meplat as possible that still functions reliably in a semi-auto pistol.

In .45 ACP. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Definitely looks scary to me.

The man was a genius! Did it all without computers, too.

Just for fun, I take my home-cast Keith SWCs, put them in a .50 sabot, and shoot them out of an inline .50 at ... high speeds the .45 Colt cannot.

"It was like a freight train." :a41:

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You speak the truth, oh wise one.

I've not used the ones for semi-auto (heard they feed very well), but heavy, hard cast lead ones are just the ticket for magnum revolvers.

dsc_0004-2-jpg.904936

I sit at the FEET of Elmer, Bill, Skeeter, Charles and others ... We will see them at the Great Campfire, someday.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have the dies, lead, melting pot and beeswax for flux, and molds for it. But the molds are for .454 to go in my old Colt.
Ah. Luckily my Ruger Bisley convertible is .452 ... Which I can use in various .45 ACP things. And the inline .50. Versatile.

But I wish I had a classic Colt in .454 ... I'd cast in that and get a .452 sizing die - I think.

To shoot truncated boolits out of!

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Ah. Luckily my Ruger Bisley convertible is .452 ... Which I can use in various .45 ACP things. And the inline .50. Versatile.

But I wish I had a classic Colt in .454 ... I'd cast in that and get a .452 sizing die - I think.

To shoot truncated boolits out of!

AA

I have a sizing press and sizing die. Lee I think...or maybe Hornady.

Thanks for the responses, Gents! I found a good deal on some and might end up trying it out.

Like my Jewish Grandma used to say about chicken soup for a cold...it could't hoirt.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have a sizing press and sizing die. Lee I think...or maybe Hornady.

Like my Jewish Grandma used to say about chicken soup for a cold...it could't hoirt.
Three little chillin
Lying in bed
Two of them sick
and the other most dead

Call the Doctor
and the Doctor said
Gotta feed them chillin
some Matzo bread.

Mommas litle babies love Motzo, Motzo
Mammas little babies love Matzo bread.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
In .45 ACP. :)
Well of course, that should be self evident!

While I acknowledge the Keith style SWC's supremacy in revolver cartridges, I tend to relegate the TC projectiles to semi-auto cartridges, although they can be used in both and there are certainly a few SWC designs in semi-auto as well.
@Claudel Xerxes , what cartridges were you contemplating using the truncated cone in?

The "Keith-style" semiwadcutter is to me, above all things ...

Elmer Keith - Wikipedia

proxy.php

I make them, shoot them, and believe in them.

AA
One of my favorite all time bullets. When i got my first .38 special revolver , a S&W K 38 back in 1968, the first thing i got to go with it was a set of double cavity lyman dies, along with lub/sizer dies. Dad had a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington and i quickly discovered that that bullet made for some great almost no recoil fun plinking rounds.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Well of course, that should be self evident!

While I acknowledge the Keith style SWC's supremacy in revolver cartridges, I tend to relegate the TC projectiles to semi-auto cartridges, although they can be used in both and there are certainly a few SWC designs in semi-auto as well.
@Claudel Xerxes , what cartridges were you contemplating using the truncated cone in?

124 grain 9mm. I have plenty of 9mm ammo, but I found a good deal on Fiocchi 124 grain FMJTC.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
TCs generally feed well in most semiautos in my experience, YMMV. My primary experience with truncated cone projectiles is with reloads using plated (not jacketed) bullets of various brands.

I began casting & reloading TC bullets nearly 50 years ago. I was told that the TC bullet was one of the first used for 9mm ammo, and will reliable feed i9n all semi autos. I was shooting a BHP at the time and a guy I met at the range from time-to-time was struggling to get his Luger to feed with factory ammo. He was aware of TC bullet profiles, but there wasn't any commercial ammo available locally at the time. I let him try some of my handloads & it was the first time he had ever gotten his Luger to fire a full mag without any jams. I loaded a lot of 9mm and still have some bullets cast, sized & lubed back then, sitting on a shelf in the shop today

Top Bottom