What's new

Trip to France, anything to look out for?

So hopefully will be in France for a three week course end of May, any good stores to look for and products. Will probably take a razorock teck, some polsilvers (driving and using a ferry crossing), synth brush and a stick of arko but thinking it may be nice to look for something different

If your interested in vintage razors look for antique stores.

Gibbs, Le coq and Leresche have made some nice razors and sets back in the day.

I have an vintage Leresche set on it's way and can't wait to try it.

(sellers pics)

963A3B2E-6F91-4711-939C-E934CD29CDC4.jpeg
BC26539A-E792-4D11-B861-A97EAA529DD1.jpeg

I think they've closed all non essential businesses until further notice.

Edit: oh, end of May. Hopefully things are back to normal by then!

Monsavon shaving soap is cheap and widely available.
1584343756726.png

They make a good affordable bath soap also
1584343824464.png

William's Menthol shaving cream is fantastic stuff, there's also a sensitive version.
1584343918029.png

Palmolive shaving cream is also available.

European Aqua Velva
1584344389005.png

William's Savane Aftershave
1584344406375.png

Mennen Green Tonic
1584344486019.png

Mont Saint Michel Colognes
1584344652580.png

Enjoy your trip!

Hope things settle down before your trip! :popc: :popc:

Keep your eyes out for shops selling Plisson brushes (fun to handle even if you don’t purchase)!

There are two stores in Paris that have a good collection of shaving gear. Planete Rasoir is strictly a shaving store that has an incredible selection. Printemps has a number of stores. I went to the Haussmann location which has a separate store for men (Printemps Pour Homme). That store has an excellent shaving section where you can find numerous brushes, razors, soaps, creams, etc. When I was there I bought various soaps including MdC. There was a saleslady in the men's shaving section who was very knowledgeable. She showed me numerous straights and knew all the grades of Plisson and other brushes. When walking around Paris I found that many upscale pharmacies carried shaving brushes (usually Plisson), DE blades, and a limited number of razors.

Also, there was a small shaving store in Nice. Unfortunately, I don't recall the name.

In addition, supermarkets such as Carrefour have a selection of razor blades and lower-priced shaving soaps and creams, as well as aftershaves. The Williams cream and Monsovon soap mentioned above are worth purchasing.

When I was in Paris last year, I enjoyed going to Planete Rasoir. The staff was very friendly. I smelled and sampled a number of things, including the range of MdC soaps. I regret not sitting down and getting a shave. It was still an expensive visit :)

Otherwise, feel free to pop into various grocery stores and pharmacies to see what they have. I bought Monsavon and Palmolive sticks and cream in a tube. I will say my favorite shopping experience was visiting a couple of the more famous flea markets. No shaving supplies, but I grabbed some lovely silver napkin rings and various odds and ends. But again, this was all Paris specific.

I was given advice I will pass on to you. Have the trip and vacation you want first, and second, and third. Only then take time to explore just shave stuff.

I dunno. But when I think of France I think of perfumes. So I guess my answer would be after shaves, colognes, and vintage French razors. Also don't buy anything you can buy here, e.g., Williams after shave.

The advice above is good: vacation and sightseeing first. Shopping for shave gear second. French shave gear is available on ebay!

Let's hope for the best. But I doubt that they will let you in. The Corona peak is expeceted to happpen around June (due to a German virologist on the radio).

I dunno. But when I think of France I think of perfumes. So I guess my answer would be after shaves, colognes, and vintage French razors. Also don't buy anything you can buy here, e.g., Williams after shave.

The advice above is good: vacation and sightseeing first. Shopping for shave gear second. French shave gear is available on ebay!
No worries wouldn’t touch Williams with a 10ft barge pole,

I was in Paris a couple of years ago. I randomly found a men's/shaving store near L'eglise de la Madeleine. They had some nice stuff, but everything in Paris is overpriced and I knew I could get any of it cheaper on the internet when I got home. It is nice to smell things in a store instead of blind buying based on scent descriptions.

If you aren't able to go, use Google Street View & walk the streets of Paris. Unfortunately, you won't be able to sample any shave products (unless you have a scratch & sniff computer screen).

I hope you're able to reschedule your trip.

Top Bottom