What's new

Traveling Ink Box

I just started getting into fountain pens and only have one pen and a handful of goulet samples, I would totally jump on this if I owned any bottled inks, hopefully I'll get some soon though.

hattr,

Somebody put a whole slug of samples in the box, so you could join the list and ask to be near the end. You could always swap some samples, or, if you have some bottles by then, some of those.

This isn't my game, so I would just run that by the OP to ensure it is kosher.

I am in receipt of the box! One day late, but better than never. It looks like all the inks came through shipping beautifully.

So much for getting any actual work done today...

hattr,

Somebody put a whole slug of samples in the box, so you could join the list and ask to be near the end. You could always swap some samples, or, if you have some bottles by then, some of those.

This isn't my game, so I would just run that by the OP to ensure it is kosher.

It's fine with me if hattr wants to add his name at the end of the list for the time being. This thing will hopefully be going for a good long time, so there's no rush. I have faith that it will be available when he's ready to swap out a bottle.

-Andy

Okay Fellow Nibsters! I unpackaged and opened all the inks. Only the 5 O'Clock Shadow had seeped a little bit. I gave the top of the bottle and the cap a good scrubbing, should be good now.

I used my empty Pelikan M205 as a dipper. This is a medium steel nib. Attached are the images. There are a couple unlabeled samples. If anyone knows what they are, I'll update the list. There is also a Cross Blue cartridge sample which I didn't test, for obvious reasons. :001_rolle

Here they are all lined up on my desk blotter. Do I really need to send the box to the next person? :tongue_sm
$IMG_0119.jpg

Here are the full-size (some smaller than others, not necessarily full) bottles:
$IMG_0123.jpg

I didn't really have suitable paper for Noodler's The Whiteness of the Whale. The best I could do was green construction paper. :001_huh:
$IMG_0120.jpg

Here are the samples (looks like mostly from Goulet). Note the Mystery Red and Mystery Blue.
$IMG_0125.jpg

Now the deliberation begins...

Nice to see examples of the inks.
thanks for that.

Where is it going next; I have a handful of samples of some obscure inks to add if y'all wish?

Sorry about the 5 O'clock - was it bad? At least it was in the box, did any other bottles get stained?

No, not at all! It was so mild that I didn't even realize it until I was pulling the electrical tape off. It was probably a total of 0.1 mL. I think the bottle neck needed a good wipe down anyway, which maybe is why it leaked a tiny bit. I don't want to blow it out of proportion at all: it was practically a non-issue. :001_smile

Okay, deliberation completed. Here is my verdict.

I took:
Noodler's 5 o'Clock Shadow
Noodler's Widow Maker Red
PR Shoreline Gold
Diamine Aqua Lagoon
Samples: J. Herbin Orange Indien, Organics Studio Copper, Diamine Ancient Copper

$IMG_0128.jpg

I gave:
PR Ebony Green
PR Dakota Red
PR Tropical Blue
Lamy Cartridges: Red, Coral, Blue-Black, Violet, Green, Blue, Turquoise, Black
3 Sticks of J. Herbin sealing wax: Midnight Blue, Copper, and Forest Green
$IMG_0127.jpg

I had a hard time determining what was a fair trade. I tried to base it on volume of ink left in the jars and value of products. IF ANYONE THINKS I ERRED IN MY JUDGEMENT, PLEASE PM ME WITH YOUR THOUGHTS BEFORE I DROP THIS IN THE MAIL!

This was great fun: thanks, Andy!

Last edited:
Here's where we stand. I hope to have the box in the mail to Justin (Jut) in Illinois on Thursday.

JARS:
Visconti Brown
Diamine Burnt Sienna
Pelikan Brown
J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage
PR Ebony Green
Chelpark Violet
Diamine Claret
PR Dakota Red
PR Tropical Blue
Parker Quink Washable Blue
Lamy Blue Black
Diamine Jet Black
Noodler's The Whiteness of the Whale

CARTRIDGES:
Lamy Red
Lamy Coral
Lamy Blue-Black
Lamy Violet
Lamy Green
Lamy Blue
Lamy Turquoise
Lamy Black
Cross Blue Sample (small cart)

SAMPLES:
Architekt Antique Pink
Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrum
Pelikan Edelstein Ruby
Mystery Blue (looks a lot like Diamine Aqua Lagoon)
Lamy Turquoise
De Atramentis Caesar Augustus
Noodler's Zhivago

WAX:
J. Herbin Midnight Blue
J. Herbin Copper
J. Herbin Forest Green

docholliday77 has sent me the box and it is supposed to get here Monday; This is the most up to date list as I see it. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

dgreene120 -FL

mikeschu - CA (pending receipt from Boris)
airmech - TX
docholliday77 - MN
Jeff_H - TX
Vlad - TX
Go West Young Man - CA
Jut - Illinois
LouSee - PA

Well, Update...I had this on my doorstep when I got back from soccer games:

It must be Italian...

$20141004_140416.jpg

I better open it up

$20141004_140729.jpg

Ink, and a note from Doc

After careful consideration, I grabbed the green stick of wax, the Visconti Brown and Lamy Blue Black

$20141004_143331.jpg

I'm adding nearly full bottles of Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo and Hero Blue
$20141004_142858.jpg
I'll pm the next person

This is great! I'm glad to see that everyone is having fun with this. I'm also impressed by how quickly the box is moving around.

Thanks to all the participants!

-Andy

I put the box back into circulation this morning with my additions; It is off to airmech in Texas. Updating the list as i know it:

dgreene120 -FL
mikeschu - CA (pending receipt from Boris)
airmech - TX
docholliday77 - MN
Jeff_H - TX
Vlad - TX
Go West Young Man - CA
Jut - Illinois
LouSee - PA

This is great! I'm glad to see that everyone is having fun with this. I'm also impressed by how quickly the box is moving around.

Thanks to all the participants!

-Andy
Andy, thank you to you and AllenG for getting it started:thumbup1:

Top Bottom