What's new

Summer Ink Colors

In honor of the annual Summer Soap thread, which I get a kick out of, I'm keen to see what summer ink colors you're all going to use. I tend to run Serenity Blue and Noodlers Black through a couple of Pelikan's throughout the year but every now and then I get a bit seasonal and add another pen to the rotation with an ink sample I have lying around.

I just got a demonstrator Waterman Kultur and swapped in a Medium nib I already had. I've been using Serenity blue but when that runs out I'm going to swap in either Pilot Iroshizuku Yu-yake or Pelikan Edelstein Mandarin

What summery colors are you all thinking of using?

Attachments

• IMG_9317.jpeg
    IMG_9317.jpeg
    958.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
In honor of the annual Summer Soap thread, which I get a kick out of, I'm keen to see what summer ink colors you're all going to use. I tend to run Serenity Blue and Noodlers Black through a couple of Pelikan's throughout the year but every now and then I get a bit seasonal and add another pen to the rotation with an ink sample I have lying around.

I just got a demonstrator Waterman Kultur and swapped in a Medium nib I already had. I've been using Serenity blue but when that runs out I'm going to swap in either Pilot Iroshizuku Yu-yake or Pelikan Edelstein Mandarin

What summery colors are you all thinking of using?
I probably need to load up one with some Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun. A very unusual color for me, but I really like it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Not applicable here. I tend to stick with the same ink range all year round.

I did just have a rummage in the drawer, to see if there were any "summery" inks that didn't make the shortlist, and there was Diamine's Mediterranean Blue, Sunset, Passion Red, Violet and Blood Orange. I think that's the full extent of my lighter, or brighter inks. I thought they might have made for nice contrast inks when I bought them, but a paragrah of any could be quite eye straining, and I would struggle to work through a fill.

They will probably end up getting mixed with darker colours in the same family..

Not applicable here. I tend to stick with the same ink range all year round.

I did just have a rummage in the drawer, to see if there were any "summery" inks that didn't make the shortlist, and there was Diamine's Mediterranean Blue, Sunset, Passion Red, Violet and Blood Orange. I think that's the full extent of my lighter, or brighter inks. I thought they might have made for nice contrast inks when I bought them, but a paragrah of any could be quite eye straining, and I would struggle to work through a fill.

They will probably end up getting mixed with darker colours in the same family..
I hear you about the lightness of some colors. You almost need to use off-white paper just to see them well enough. I've struggled with some yellowish oranges before.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I don't really choose seasonal inks, but just to play along, out of the bottles that I have, I would go with:

Mont Blanc Leo Tolstoy
Pilot Iroshizuku Ajisai
Noodler's Navajo Turquoise
Noodler's Apache Sunset
J Herbin Eclat de Saphir
J Herbin Lierre Sauvage
Diamine Meadow
Diamine Golden Sands

I have a handful of others that would be considered appropriate for summer inks, but the inks I listed above were the ones that stood out when I looked through my ink drawer.

If I included samples that I currently have, my list would probably double. At the very least, some yellows, blues, and greens would be added.

Top Bottom