What's new

Travel Trailers and 5th wheels

My husband and I am on the hunt for a trailer or 5th wheel. We have three children so want one large enough that we do not trip over each other. With my husband living across the state now the shopping looks like it will be up to me. :001_tt1: With that being said I am not sure of the advantages to either, especially the little things people do not think of. One thing I am sure I will have to do is supersize my current truck.

Realistically you should both find time to look together, that way there is no crazy BS later with you said he said she said blah blah blah., sounds like you might need one with pull outs, that would give you optimum space for you and your tiddly-winks.

Wendy,

The kids go outside, unless it is raining too hard. Just kick them out. I have camped in a 17 foot travel trailer with parents and one kid. It can be done. Spending some time in an RV is important, so you know what to expect. There are few RVs large enough to create private space for lots of family members. Start small(er) if possible. These things are expensive to buy, and expensive to operate.

I agree that you should first connect with the RV community near you. Those people are living it. They have the best information.

Realistically you should both find time to look together, that way there is no crazy BS later with you said he said she said blah blah blah., sounds like you might need one with pull outs, that would give you optimum space for you and your tiddly-winks.

Shopping together could be worse. : ) We may go overboard. I do not want a payment. We camp frequently (in a camper, no roughing it) we have access to a family members 26ft 5th wheel at the resort we go to and we can also rent trailers there very inexpensive it is just getting to a point where we need to take the plunge and have our own now.

We have been going a lot lately since my husband had to relocate because it is convenient for me to take the kids and meet my husband out there on weekends. It is much closer than taking the kids to him or visa versa.

As a child my parents owned a 45ft Mountianire by Newmar. It was comfortable for 4 people and had two slide outs, washer/dryer, one bathroom, and a full kitchen. It was pulled with Ford F350 Super Duty Diesel Truck. All in all, it cost about $40,000 - $50,000. I would say with three kids, you need at least a 40 footer in order to be comfy.

As a child my parents owned a 45ft Mountianire by Newmar. It was comfortable for 4 people and had two slide outs, washer/dryer, one bathroom, and a full kitchen. It was pulled with Ford F350 Super Duty Diesel Truck. All in all, it cost about $40,000 - $50,000. I would say with three kids, you need at least a 40 footer in order to be comfy.

That is what I am looking at. Problem being the larger usually only sleep 4. I looked at a 40ft 5th wheel Saturday with slides, it was great but set up more for fulltimers. Large family room, kitchen, washer/dryer etc, but kitchen table was for two and only one large bed and a pullout bed. I am noticing that the 35ft 5th wheels are set up more for a family than the larger ones in a lot of the newer models.

It is an issue for sure...the table can be modified. We used a rubbermaid plastic table instead of the wood one because it kept breaking during travel. If your kids are young, then the two beds might work. It could be challenging though for 3 kids and 2 adults.

you are talking about a huge and on-going expense. a truck big enough to pull a 40+ foot trailer and the trailer itself. I would suggest renting a rig like you're thinking about and taking a test drive. Anything that big means you will be 'camping' in a football field along wiht 50 other 40+ foot RV's. (or wally world parking lot)

you are talking about a huge and on-going expense. a truck big enough to pull a 40+ foot trailer and the trailer itself. I would suggest renting a rig like you're thinking about and taking a test drive. Anything that big means you will be 'camping' in a football field along wiht 50 other 40+ foot RV's. (or wally world parking lot)

I will not be towing it all that much. I have actually thought of just parking it at a camping /fishing resort we are members of and we can store it there for $35 a month and stay on the property free any time. It is about halfway between my husbands new home and my current.

It is an issue for sure...the table can be modified. We used a rubbermaid plastic table instead of the wood one because it kept breaking during travel. If your kids are young, then the two beds might work. It could be challenging though for 3 kids and 2 adults.

The largest kid is about 47 pounds : ) Maybe a bunkhouse would be the best then they can take a friend to play with (or babysit them).

One thing to keep in mind is that you can get away with pulling a lot more size with the fifth wheel as it ends up being load weight vs. tongue weight, it is also a far easier and maneuverable tow. even though they have some slick sway bars and load levelers now trailers are still IMHO a distant second to fifth wheels. you can pick up a 33-35 ft. one barely used with slides galore for around 20k. Let the original owner take the depreciation. I can pull a 33 footer with my toyota tundra no sweat. only modification i made was a set of air bags, 300 bucks and a must have.

Ian

We had a 32' 5th wheel, the bedroom was in the front, the couch made into one bed, and the dinette into another.
A 5th wheel trailer will pull easier and is more stable driving on the highway than a bumper pull trailer. I've towed each kind for many thousands of miles, so I know. The downside is that the 5th wheel hitch takes up room in the bed while you are towing. The hitch is fairly easy to remove when you are home if you need the truck to haul things. If you are going to get a big truck to pull a large travel trailer, I recommend the Dodge with the Cummins diesel, my 1991 Dodge has about 500,000 miles on it, and is still going.

Shopping together could be worse. : ) We may go overboard. I do not want a payment. We camp frequently (in a camper, no roughing it) we have access to a family members 26ft 5th wheel at the resort we go to and we can also rent trailers there very inexpensive it is just getting to a point where we need to take the plunge and have our own now.

We have been going a lot lately since my husband had to relocate because it is convenient for me to take the kids and meet my husband out there on weekends. It is much closer than taking the kids to him or visa versa.

Thats a tough one Wendy! I guess then you'll need to maybe try driving with one, and see what your happy with and comfortable hauling. there are so many good ones out there I think the only way is to go see a bunch and look at the insides to see what will fit you all.

Thats a tough one Wendy! I guess then you'll need to maybe try driving with one, and see what your happy with and comfortable hauling. there are so many good ones out there I think the only way is to go see a bunch and look at the insides to see what will fit you all.

That is probably the best. I think I may wait a few weeks until we are out of triple digits to shop a lot. I do not want to melt : )

Top Bottom