What's new

Travel razor, which one?

I am looking at purchasing a travel razor and have narrowed it down to two choices. First, is the Parker Travel razor, comes with a case and breaks down into 4 pieces. Second, is the closed comb Merkur travel razor, same basic features as the Parker. I understand the $20.00-$30.00 price difference, besides that what are the general feelings on these two razors. A little background, I travel across Texas and some parts of Louisiana during the year and I keep a DOPP bag packed all the time. Thank you in advance for any help.

Why not carry along a full size handle razor?

Buy a nice leather sheath with a snap on it. Those are cool.

You could also get one of the travel cases for a normal razor.

If you have room in your dopp.

I was able to pick up a 1965 Aluminum Travel Tech cheap on the bay. It's a great razor. But, I'm really into vintage razors.

RAD afflicted!

I have the parker and I really like it. I find it quite aggressive but it's a great little razor. Certainly heavy enough for everyday use.

At home I use a Braveheart, an ATT R-2, a Weber, a Feather and an IKon Slant. For the road, I use a Merkur 46c or I pack my ATT. Merkur comes with nice case, is compact and does the job. I pair with a GSB.

Gillette Fusion, Mach 3, or Trac II.

Traveling with DE blades is a hassle due to TSA regulations. You're forced to check your bags. You can lose your razor or have it stolen.

Traveling is the only time that cartridge razors make sense.

I am looking at purchasing a travel razor and have narrowed it down to two choices. First, is the Parker Travel razor, comes with a case and breaks down into 4 pieces. Second, is the closed comb Merkur travel razor, same basic features as the Parker. I understand the $20.00-$30.00 price difference, besides that what are the general feelings on these two razors. A little background, I travel across Texas and some parts of Louisiana during the year and I keep a DOPP bag packed all the time. Thank you in advance for any help.
I tried the various travel razors that break down into several different pieces. Didn't much care for them. Nowadays I use a Merkur 34c in a leather sheath as my dedicated travel razor.

If you want to be very compact and like Merkur gear, I recommend the Merkur 933 travel razor. It comes in open or closed comb versions. Head is the same as 34C, but 2-pc handle is lighter.

I just bought another Feather Popular and a bowl of Proraso to throw in the travel kit. I got one of the cheapie razor cases from Amazon to put the Feather in and it just fits the Feather's 4" handle. I travel about 2 to 4 times a year and this will be the world's first time doing so with a DE in tow instead of a cart or disposable.

My travel razor is Wilkinson sword classic double edge. Cheap, mild, good performance and plastic. If lost or broken i would not be sad.

Gillette Fusion, Mach 3, or Trac II.

Traveling with DE blades is a hassle due to TSA regulations. You're forced to check your bags. You can lose your razor or have it stolen.

Traveling is the only time that cartridge razors make sense.

I agree! However, I've recently been traveling with my Gillette DE and one wrapped Feather blade with no issues. I don't care if they make me leave the blade behind as any CVS/Walgreens will have them. Full disclosure, I have a KTN so that might also have something to do with it.

IMO, you don't save enough in size to warrant using the tiny handles that usually come with travel razor. My travel kit contains a user grade New Long Comb with a ball-end handle in a plastic travel case that came with a Cadet razor.

besides that what are the general feelings on these two razors.
As with any other DE you have to find what works for you no matter how many opinions you collect.

I just use the same DE that I use at home when traveling. That is, unless I'm flying with only carry-ons.

Seach YouTube for Shaving Travel Tin (I'm at work so I can't post a link). Then you can just pack along any 3-peice with a 3" handle.

I like the Parker travel razor - the Merkur 46C comes with a very nice leather case, but the handle is some terribly light aluminum alloy that feels like plastic. I can't imagine the threads on this two-piece handle lasting long at all - very flimsy.

I actually switched out the head on my Parker travel for a Shavecraft 101, and that's my dedicated travel razor setup. I've been leaving it behind whilst flying carry-on only, and I find that the BiC sensitive single blade disposables work great for me.

However, in light of some info from an earlier post in this thread, I think I will try taking a single, wrapped DE blade and my Shavecraft travel razor with me next carry-on trip. If the TSA wants to confiscate that razorblade, then I'll just pick up something upon reaching my destination.

That's the plan.
:euro:

Top Bottom