What's new

Travel brush. Help needed

I look for a new travel brush. I have a Vulfix Nylon brush which is a bit too sloppy and soft. It is OK for lathering in a bowl, but since I switched to face lathering it is too sloppy.

I thought about getting another synthetic brush. I thought about an Omega synthetic brush (90018 or 90081) because synthetic materials dry quickly. Is this brush stiffer than the Vulfix?

I also thought about getting a boar bristle brush (Semogue). I don't know how the dry up. Would you use a boar brush as travel brush?

I prefer to use a boar for travel.

To pack, I wrap it in a paper towel (to help draw away moisture), then roll up in an unsealed ziplock bag and put it into my toiletry bag.

You didn't say anything about money!!
I use a Trumper travel brush in super. (badger) coupled with the Tabac shave stick. Perfect for face lathering and comes with, (or at least it did) a travel tube with vented screw on top. I probably paid $15 or $20 dollars for it 8 or 9 years ago. I've seen it on the bay within the last year for $30. For me theres nothing better and I use it 5/10 times a month.

Omega makes a small boar/badger travel brush that I have my eye on. Em's Place has it on her Omega page, about halfway down.

I don't want to spend more than 20 dollars for the travel brush. That is why I thought about a boar brush. I am just not sure how a boar dries up. I think putting a wet brush into a bag and getting an a 12h flight does no good.

I really like the Dovo stainless steel travel brush. Its a solid brush that you could run a tank over. Its a silvertip and man is it worth it. I got mine for $89.00 a few months ago, and I checked Classic Shaving's site just now and its now up to $99.00. If you don't mind the price I think its well worth it. I'm sure your great grandchildren could use this brush. :001_rolle :wink: :biggrin:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Try the Tweezerman Badger Brush. About $15.00, a very nice brush, and great for travel where you don't have to worry about it getting lost or stolen.

As soon as I toss my "regular" brush in my dopp kit, it becomes my "travel brush"! I like to keep things simple. It works great at home-----why should I settle for less just because I'm traveling?? If you want another brush, just get one and quit worrying about weather it's a "travel brush". It's not like you're gonna save a ton of space in your dopp kit by getting a "travel brush" or anything! This has always seemed like kind of a pointless topic on here. What about "travel creams" and "travel aftershaves"???

I use the Van Der Hagen boar brush when I travel.

I actually picked it up on a trip when I had forgotten to pack my badger brush. I got it at the drugstore for about $5 and was really surprised at how well it performed. I have been leaving it in my travel toiletry bag ever since.

And at $5, you could actually just throw it away if it's not dry enough to pack.

I also needed a good travel brush to use for work. I'm at work for 3 days a week and wanted a decent brush because it would be getting a lot of use. It took a while to pull the trigger but I did and just reveived the brush in the mail today. I bought from bestgrooming tools in New York and had a fantastic experience with that particular company. They are very informative and ship quickly. New York to California in 2 days.

I am currently using a Vulfix VS/5 as my travel/work brush. It's kinda floppy and actually too soft even though it's a boar. I just don't like the brush plain and simple. I prefer to have a brush that is more scritchy for work.

The biggest issue I had while looking for the right brush was the size. I like smaller brushes with good backbone but I was afraid the travel brushes I was looking at were going to be too small. Most of them have knots of 18mm or less, with very short lofts, and small handles. Since I was going to be using this brush a lot, I didn't want one that small. I spoke with a guy on the phone about the Simpson's Case travel brush and he said he loves it and has used it for 12 years. He also described it as a "dollhouse" brush.

Here are the brushes I was contemplating.

1.) Simpon's Case w/ travel tube
2.) Omega 21047 w/ travel tube (Boar/Badger mix)
3.) Edwin Jagger w/ travel tube

I thought long and hard and decided to go with a brush that isn't designated as a travel brush per say. It's still quite small and will work perfectly though.

I went with the Simpson's Berkely 46 PB brush and I bought a aftermarket travel tube from the same company that's pretty trick. The brush is available in BB also.It's a little bigger than the brushes I mentioned above and has a knot size of 20mm. I had a hard time finding information on this particular brush so I will be doing a review in the next few days with pictures and a comparison to my Rooney 3/1 super for size.

You didn't say anything about money!!
I use a Trumper travel brush in super. (badger) coupled with the Tabac shave stick. Perfect for face lathering and comes with, (or at least it did) a travel tube with vented screw on top. I probably paid $15 or $20 dollars for it 8 or 9 years ago. I've seen it on the bay within the last year for $30. For me theres nothing better and I use it 5/10 times a month.

+1. I picked one up recently at CO Bigelow before the store closed. I tested it for a week straight face lathering with tallow soaps as sticks and pucks, and a glycerin stick. It was soft and a bit on the floppy side, but gave enough great lather for 3+ passes.

Suprisingly nobody suggested a synthetic brush. Nobody had a experience with a smelly brush because it was packed whlie still wet in a bag? I was concerned keeping a natural fiber wet for too long will make it smelly and promote the loosing of hairs.

Price is also an issue. I don't want to care too much if the brush is lost or stolen. So I dont't want to spend too much.

Use the discount coupon for C&E that's posted here. I think that should give you a 40% reduction in cost--not bad for a good badger travel brush.

I think putting a wet brush into a bag and getting an a 12h flight does no good.

Putting a damp brush into a bag whilst you travel for 24 hours wont do it any harm whatsoever in my opinion. Even if you leave the brush on a shelf after use it is damp for quite a few hours.

I think your problems will arise if you are packing a soaking wet brush into a bag and leaving it there for a week. But after a day or two travel, when you get home, just rinse the brush and let it sit in the open till its dry.

So if the drying is not really an issue I maybe will get a boar brush. Until now I have only tried badger and synthetic brushes. I think it will be interesting with a boar brush.

Top Bottom