What's new

Trac II, what year

Is your Trac II and which cartridges do you use for it? I got lucky and snagged up a NOS Trac II Plus razor from 1995. I also found a deal on the Gillette Trac II Plus blades, so I'll have those to try out. I have a bunch of those Personna carts that I originally got for my Atra razor, let's see if they work better with the Trac II. How about you guys? Happy Thanksgiving by the way! :drool:

My favorite TracII handle is one I found at the Dollar store, an Israel Personna branded 'Precision'. They don't seem to make them anymore, and if you do see one in a shop, be careful to read the back as they are identical but 'Made in China'. They are exactly like the other one, although the handle is lighter and it shaves AWFUL! That said, I kept a few of the handles around and since the blades are gone now, I get the Rexall branded Israel's at the drug store. $5.45 for a 15 pack, and shave great.

I have a classic brown Trac II handle that I bought in 1981, I believe. The handles are not gone by any means. They are sold under the 7 O'Clock name. Bump Fighter makes a compatible handle real cheap.
Trac II and compatibles were what I shaved with for 35+ years. Every shave left a certain amount of stubble. I long figured that was just part of the shave. Not until DE did I learn BBS was possible. Consequently, I rarely use the Trac II or Barbasol anymore.

I have a Bump Fighter handle I use for air travel with Personna carts. I can get them for about $3/10-pack at the BX. I can get a decent shave with that combo. Haven't tried a real Gillette Trac II cart since probably the late 80's :).

I lost (or threw away) my old Trac II handle a few years ago. I replaced it with a 7 o'clock handle I bought on eBay a couple months ago. Carts are a mix of Dorco and Wilkinsons. I'll probably order more of the Gillette 7 o'clock carts without the lube strip.

It's my travel razor. I still think it's the best cart razor on the market. I've used off and on since 74.

I too got my first Trac II around 1973, maybe as early as 1972. It lasted about 25 years of near daily shaving before the "head" finally broke free of the plastic handle. I replaced it with another Trac II which was still going strong when I threw it away after switching to wet shaving a few years ago.

I'll never use one again, but I agree that it was the best cartridge shaver on the market.

But that's kind of like telling a woman, "You don't sweat much for a fat girl."

Last edited:
I have a classic brown Trac II handle that I bought in 1981, I believe. The handles are not gone by any means. They are sold under the 7 O'Clock name. Bump Fighter makes a compatible handle real cheap.
Trac II and compatibles were what I shaved with for 35+ years. Every shave left a certain amount of stubble. I long figured that was just part of the shave. Not until DE did I learn BBS was possible. Consequently, I rarely use the Trac II or Barbasol anymore.

I'll echo this and like others, used mine from the mid 70's until buying a safey razor last Sept.. I thought my constant stubble was the accepted post-shave norm. I'll stick with DE shaving.

Handle is still in great shape after decades of daily shaves. I do still pull it out to dig out low anomalies on a dry face.

proxy.php

Top Bottom