What's new

Gillette Trac II razor

I just finished shaving for a 3rd full week on my PII cart this past Saturday!

Being that it did get me through two previous weeks of excellent shaves, I truly was expecting that it was going to give up the ghost on me by mid-week.

Nope! The PII cart soldiered on through the complete 3rd week with close shaves and zero irritation!

You can't beat the Gillette Trac II.

Trac II_4.JPG

The Gillette 7 O'Clock PII carts have been great so far. It's wonderful not to deal with the lube strip and the shaves have been most satisfactory, definitely closer than my Guard. It's hard to beat the price/performance ratio of the Guard, at least in the cartridge world, but I'll probably keep PIIs on hand when I really need a closer shave than the Guard can provide.

You have sparked the occasional experimentation. Since I use the II so infrequently I don’t pay attention however I use the backside of a leather jeans patch to strop and it seems to get me another shave. I have plenty it’s just fun to sharpen them for some weird horsing around.

but I'll probably keep PIIs on hand when I really need a closer shave than the Guard can provide.

I really love this razor. It's everything a cartridge razor should be.

Since I returned to DE shaving, I started shaving above and below my mustache area.

Kind of a more difficult area to shave since I have cheeks which extend out on either side.

It's kind of difficult to get around this with a DE razor that is designed for flat skin surfaces.

This is particularly more difficult when using the R41 head. I would sometimes switch the blade to a less agressive razor to do this area at the end of the shave.

Since the PII head is so small, it is easy to get in close and maneuver around in this area.

A few days ago, I had the idea of keeping the PII aside just to trim around my mustache. I already have three weeks on the blade and it is still functional.

Now it is quick and easy and I don't have to be concerned that I will nick my cheeks.

Clearly I don't push my trac 2 blades but I get 3 to 5 face shaves a cart. I use Persona carts 100 for $12. Love my Trac 2.

That is what I use the Personna Trac II blades. I never really pushed them before. On the blade I am currently using I have 7 shaves on it. So far it still feels good. I am going to see how many I can get on it.

I put 30 in my Amazon shopping cart. Will give them a try on my next order.

At 13-cents each, they are completely in line price wise with standard DE blades.

At $1 each, the PII cart is a good deal but this is even better!

I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the Personna Trac II carts, perhaps not as smooth as the Gillette carts (with or without lube strip) but they work well enough,

I can understand that.

proxy.php

But at Walgreens:

Trac II Plus Razor Blade Refills10 ea​

$25.99 - $2.60/ea.

Compare this to the PII carts at $1 each or the Personna at 13-cents each (in quantity) and we can make some allowance...

$26 for 10, vs $26 for 200.

If you have and use a Trac II razor, how many shaves do you get from a blade? I never pushed mine to the limit. I usually change before it gets dull.
How many shaves do you get on a blade?

Cheap Amazon so called Personna’s 0 to 3-4. They don’t seem very consistent but are very affordable.
I have dabbled with some vintage twin cartridges and find them longer lasting and smooth. Usually a vintage twin can go 6-10 before it starts to wane. I have always enjoyed any type of vintage blade.
IMG_0207.jpeg

My grandfather gave me his old Trac II that he got in the early 70s. Local drug store had some Gillette carts for sale but there was no way I was about to drop 25 dollarydoos for 10 carts. Ended up getting 100 Personna carts for the same price off of ebay.

While I only really use DE and SE razors, I started using the Trac II to get around my lower neckline as well as to touch up after my main shave.

It's a very nice razor all things considered, shaves good and is very comfortable. I'm not sure how the Personna carts compare to the Gillette ones, but the considerably lower price is what does it for me.

My grandfather gave me his old Trac II that he got in the early 70s. Local drug store had some Gillette carts for sale but there was no way I was about to drop 25 dollarydoos for 10 carts. Ended up getting 100 Personna carts for the same price off of ebay.

While I only really use DE and SE razors, I started using the Trac II to get around my lower neckline as well as to touch up after my main shave.

It's a very nice razor all things considered, shaves good and is very comfortable. I'm not sure how the Personna carts compare to the Gillette ones, but the considerably lower price is what does it for me.
Welcome to the forum, what ever you do keep your Grandfathers trac ii it’s an original piece of history from him. I was on cloud nine when the trac ii came out, you are right it’s a very nice razor and it stood the test of time.

Attachments

• IMG_5670 - Copy.JPEG
    IMG_5670 - Copy.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5671 - Copy.JPEG
    IMG_5671 - Copy.JPEG
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5672 - Copy.JPEG
    IMG_5672 - Copy.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Top Bottom