What's new

Total Shaving Newbie with a Straight Razor Checking In

Hey everyone, discovered the forum recently and have been lurking in the Straight Razor section for the past week. I recently picked up a cheap straight razor starter kit and have started down the road of wet shaves.

Up until now, I've rarely given much thought to shaving. I typically grow a beard out, and periodically buzz it off with a beard trimmer. But, using a SR looked fun, and the price was right, so I picked up the kit.

I had my first shave last night, and I think things went okay! Considering I have never used a shave soap, created a lather, stropped a straight razor... etc... haha. I just did a single pass with the grain. I had trouble with the chin area, but overall things came out well. My face felt smooth running my hand with the grain, which was nice! I finished up by running an alum block over my face to see if it burned - no nicks, and no burning sensation, so I guess I approached this first shave cautiously enough.

I look forward to learning more and gaining confidence to get a closer shave - this forum is a wealth of information!

Welcome to the forum! Glad your first shave with a straight went well for you. I haven't generated the nerve to try that yet.

Welcome to B & B, enjoy! Congrats on your first shave. Glad you found the straights section of B & B, good people there.

no burn first shave hi five:clap:
i know a guy that still occasionally touches up his straight shave with a DE

what kit?
most here will suggest you get honed professionally to make sure you get the proper experience.

welcome! (enjoy the ride down the rabbit hole)

Thanks everyone!

I ordered this kit: Gold Dollar Shave Kit

They sent a "Grim Dollar" instead of a Gold Dollar razor in the kit they sent me. I assume they are similar.

hope the grim is decent, i started messing with dollar last week they need some work and are chunky and need some work, to get user friendly. keep your eye on vintage razors here, most will come shave ready! and you can compare.

I am a newbie myself to wet shaving. Been only using disposables and electric shavers. Once my electric shaver broke, i just went for the straight. Figuring that i can always keep it sharp, and pleasant to use. Took abit of time to get it sharp as a comfortable shave. But once i got there everything else just felt inferior to the SR. Havent used shavettes or DEs, so cant speak for them, but damn a proper SR is nice, just takes abit of time to shave^^

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
proxy.php

Top Bottom