What's new

Torga C3

Semogue Torga C3's.

Ordered April 14, 2020. Arrived today safe, sound and all there. Boar, Mixed and Finest.

Semogue Torga C3 web.jpeg

Last edited:
Cool...

I am looking at the C5 in both Finest and Mistura (maybe a Taj handle for the Mistura). I'm just uncertain about stock loft (I prefer lower lofts typically).

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Very nice, I love Semogue especially their Finest which, in the LE brushes at least, compares well to Simpson Manchurian in my opinion. The handle shape is very similar to the 2019 LE Foro Afeitado 10 year anniversary. I am in two minds about the new logo. 👍

Have not shaved with them yet.

JoeLr; They have a glue bump. So there's a shorter 'free loft' as Paladin refers to it that must have implications on backbone.

Peacher_Man; Ordered these when you were out here! It's a mix of Boar and Badger, Semogue does a lot of these. Here's a thread on mixed brushes.

EclipseRedRing; Had a 2013 Barbear Classico Texugo. In anticipation of these it went home with my son. Did the Dad thing; 'here try this' and off it went. These handles are acrylic vs olive wood so heavier but the shape is the same.

DarkSpy; Haven't shaved with them. If I pinch each in the web between thumb and index finger the resulting tear drop shape is about the same in surface area for each of them. Real scientific I know.

StuMcB; Oh yeah!

BigJ; Thanks, pandemic shipping is 'uh' bit leisurely vs the old days.

Very nice. I used my Torga C5 boar for the first time this morning. It will need a bit of break-in before I can really know how I feel about it. The handle shape certainly is aesthetically nice, and I have a Caravela with a similar handle, but I'm still on the fence about the feel of the handle in hand.

Curious to hear what you think after using these a few times. I love Semogue, have more of their boar brushes than anything else. I am trying to decide between buying the Torga C5 in Boar or Badger but you really cant find any reviews online for the C3 or C5.

^^ I am terrible at reviewing things, so here's my short & sweet:

I received the Torga C5 in finest badger early this week. I was immediately disappointed in how small it is (yeah, I looked at the specs before ordering, knew it was smaller than my typical, but...). I have only hand lathered it once, and actually used it another time. The knot itself is terrific. It is a lather-making machine, and I like the scrub it provides; face feel is terrific for me. It's just the size...the handle is just too dang small, and it's not like I am some giant with meathooks for hands.

Anyway, another poster and I had a short exchange and agree: if there was such a things as a Torga C9, it would be a no-brainer to go that route for guys like me. If, however, you are fine with smaller handles, the Torga C5 is a very solid brush.

**pretty sure the only difference between the C3 & C5 is ~2mm of knot size (C3 = 22mm; C5 = 24mm). Handle specs are the same for both knots as far as I know.

I don't care for large brushes, 24mm is too big but I have a few for kicks anyway. As a result I got C3's which are all 22x50. I agree the handles are likely the same size for the C3's or C5's. Like JoeLr indicated concerning the C5's, if you get a C3 it will be 22mm. It's not hidden 26mm on the cheap.

So I'm keeping them. They are all exceptional at making lather, providing good backbone and face feel and having the 3 different knots presents a fine variety. Like I just mentioned in another thread, I'm not sure why I need all the other brushes at this point. These three do it all. (Except the G2's of course, the perfect face lathering brush).

Here's a shot of 3 different brushes for comparison, Simspon G3, Torga C3, and a 1470.

G3, C3, 1470 web small.jpg

I'm breaking in a C5 boar right now, and I have about 5-6 lathers on it thus far. It is a pretty unique brush in terms of feel, and I think I will like it a lot when it's all the way there. The handle is a bit stubby, but I'm adjusting to it. I will use it again tomorrow and post some more specific thoughts on it.

Sorry to hear about the short handle, @JoeLr! Does anyone know exactly how high the C3/C5 handles are - I can't find the height?

According to the PF store, the SOC is 57 mm high and the 2000 that I recently bought is 52 mm. Based on @old_school's photo, the C5 looks about the same as the 1470, which is 48 mm. So it's definitely on the shorter side.

When I got my 2000 I was a bit surprised by the height being shorter than the SOC (I had only paid attention to the diameter and loft), but I am just rolling with it and really enjoying the 2000.

You might want to just focus on all that rich lather :).

I can't recall where I saw it, but I know I saw Torga handle specs of height at ~49mm. For me, it's not only the height; it's also skinny/scrawny. I don't have calipers so can't provide good measurement unfortunately.

...Does anyone know exactly how high the C3/C5 handles are - I can't find the height?...

Torga;
Height 49mm
Upper at center 36mm
Waist 30mm
Base 37mm

For comparison here's Paladin Winston for a 26mm Brush (copy and pasted from Paladin web site.)
Socket diameter: 26 mm
Handle height: 49.2 mm ± 1 mm
Handle diameter: 39 mm ± 1 mm

Pk-47 for a 26mm
Socket diameter: 26 mm
Handle height: 53.25mm ± 1mm
Handle diameter: 37.85mm ± 1mm

Moby for a 28mm this one is big!
Socket diameter: 28 mm
Handle height: 61 mm ± 1 mm
Handle diameter: 39.8 mm ± 1 mm

The Torga isn't out of line for a typical face lathering brush despite it's smaller knots size compared to the popular Paladins. See picture above.

It's definitely smaller that the Persian Jar like Moby for a 28mm brush, bowl lathering configuration. But so is the Winston and PK-47. I think it should be pretty obvious the Torga handle isn't built for bowl lathering or barbershop knock offs.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I don't care for large brushes, 24mm is too big but I have a few for kicks anyway. As a result I got C3's which are all 22x50. I agree the handles are likely the same size for the C3's or C5's. Like JoeLr indicated concerning the C5's, if you get a C3 it will be 22mm. It's not hidden 26mm on the cheap.

So I'm keeping them. They are all exceptional at making lather, providing good backbone and face feel and having the 3 different knots presents a fine variety. Like I just mentioned in another thread, I'm not sure why I need all the other brushes at this point. These three do it all. (Except the G2's of course, the perfect face lathering brush).

Here's a shot of 3 different brushes for comparison, Simspon G3, Torga C3, and a 1470.

View attachment 1117778
I know this thread is about the new Semogues, and I've no desire to derail the conversation, but at some point you've got to start an Eagle thread so we can discuss that gorgeous black G 3. What a beauty!

Top Bottom