What's new

"Top Must Try" soaps?

Rather than the "top" you should branch out and try soaps that are as different from what you typically use as possible in my opinion. I don't think the specific soaps really matter all that much. Get out there and experience as much as you can.

But...Some people's top three are different from what some of us typically use :) . I can point out quite a few on this list that I wouldn't have thought to try without seeing some good things about them. By the end of this thread I will probably end up at least trying all of them on the list (yes, I have a problem and threads like this fuel my AD lol).

FYI I will post a new post when I see a bunch more votes and add them to my list :) , glad it helped a couple of you out.

Rather than the "top" you should branch out and try soaps that are as different from what you typically use as possible in my opinion. I don't think the specific soaps really matter all that much. Get out there and experience as much as you can.

Bottom 3?

Just kidding. Good point, and well taken. Thanks for the input.

OK, so I went through the thread and took down everyone's "vote."

Here we go;

MWF - 20
Arko - 13 (someone voted for it three times so it would be 15 if you want to count the extra two votes)
Cella - 12
DR Harris - 8
Art of Shaving - 8
La Toja - 8
Valobra - 7 (someone also voted for the menthol specifically so +1)
Mama Bear - 7
Tabac - 7
Martin De Candre - 5
EU Palmolive - 4
Queen Charlotte Soap - 4
L'Occitane Cade - 3
Razorock - 3
Geo F. Trumper - 3
Irisch Moos - 2
Trufitt and Hill - 2 (also commented that Cyril Salter was the same thing?)
QED - 2
Speick - 2
Provence De Sante - 2
Institut Karite - 2
P.160 Tipo Morbido (not sure if this was one soap or two sorry there was no punctuation between the words so I figured?) - 2
EJ (also referred to as Muehle) Sea Buckthorn - 2
Czech and Speak #88 - 2
Proraso in the white tub - 2
Vito's - 1
Godrej - 1
Musgo Real - 1
Williams Mug Soap - 1
Klar Kabinett - 1
Taylor of Old Bond - 1
Santa Maria Nouvella - 1
Erasmic - 1
Pre De Provence - 1

So, no particular order if they have the same number of votes, I just wrote them down and then cut and paste into order of the number of votes. I also combined some (someone voted for two Dr Harris flavors so I just counted it as two votes for example). Another example is the La Toja, I didn't separate the stick votes and the Manantiales, I just counted it as La Toja.

Hope this helps some people, I know it just helped me ;) .

ya wanna do me tax return?

mwf, the best. dunno why i use any other.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
ya wanna do me tax return?

mwf, the best. dunno why i use any other.

Variety? I think that's the right answer. However, once you get used to that kind of lather, you get a lot pickier about the rest of your line up.

Arko - insanely good for the price
Valobra/C&S/AoS - probably my absolute favourite all round hard soap, on another level completely to Harris/Trumpers etc.
Tabac/Moos - can't go wrong

MWF gets a lot of overseas users but here in London with my particular water I can't for the life of me get a useable lather from it.

I just bought/ordered about 10 soaps... several from this list. I was thinking of adding Arko to the list, but I could only find it in bulk and I didn't think the girlfriend would appreciate it all hanging around. Maybe once I add a cabinet in the bathroom I'll order some. But either way, I'm looking forward to test-driving all my new soaps!

I just bought/ordered about 10 soaps... several from this list. I was thinking of adding Arko to the list, but I could only find it in bulk and I didn't think the girlfriend would appreciate it all hanging around. Maybe once I add a cabinet in the bathroom I'll order some. But either way, I'm looking forward to test-driving all my new soaps!

Sounds like you're going to need that cabinet.

My favorites are:

Provence Sante - Green Tea
Cella (so long as you like its sweet almond fragrance... I love it.)
Trumper's - Rose (tallow version... I haven't tried the new version yet.)
eShave - Mandarin
DR Harris - Arlington
La Toja stick
I Coloniali (it's a smoky mango fragrance)
Penhaligon's English Fern (I haven't tried the new, non-tallow version, though, so it may not be so great anymore)
Mama Bear EO soaps (Orange Orange and Bergamot are great ones)

Those soaps all perform great for me, and I'm a sucker for wonderful fragrances.

-Andy

Last edited:
Top Bottom