What's new

TOP 10 FAVOURITE WESTERNS . . .

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Weighing in as a huge John Wayne fan. Here goes…
  1. Silverado
  2. Rio Bravo
  3. Stagecoach
  4. City Slickers
  5. Blazing Saddles
  6. The Magnificent Seven
  7. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
  8. The Man who Shot Liberty Valance
  9. Lonesome Dove
  10. The Big Lewbowski (because of Sam Elliot… so, yes, it’s a Western, just as Die Hard is a Christmas movie)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Weighing in as a huge John Wayne fan. Here goes…
  1. Silverado
  2. Rio Bravo
  3. Stagecoach
  4. City Slickers
  5. Blazing Saddles
  6. The Magnificent Seven
  7. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
  8. The Man who Shot Liberty Valance
  9. Lonesome Dove
  10. The Big Lewbowski (because of Sam Elliot… so, yes, it’s a Western, just as Die Hard is a Christmas movie)
I only have one that I LOVE, and I'm going to make you guess it, by listing some of the stars. It was/has been underrated for a long while.......John Wayne. Robert Mitchum, James Caan (who just so happened to attend the best Kollege in my state: Michigan State University!)

Can you name this great Western?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Old Henry
Pale Rider
Firefly (Space Western...any episode)
Hang Em High
High Plains Drifter
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
Bone Tomahawk
Jonah Hex

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I only have one that I LOVE, and I'm going to make you guess it, by listing some of the stars. It was/has been underrated for a long while.......John Wayne. Robert Mitchum, James Caan (who just so happened to attend the best Kollege in my state: Michigan State University!)

Well, I couldn’t until I did a Google search. Immediately followed a face palm. Doh!!! This classic is a Cadillac of a film, and now on my list of Top 10 11 Favorite Westerns. The thing to do now is shut up and let a true B&B gentleman name this movie.

I grew up on Westerns and still love the genre. Here's my list for the best Westerns (I've seen) in descending order:

The Searchers
High Noon
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Shenandoah
The Magnificent Seven*
(though if Akira Kurosawa films are also included as Westerns, then I'd opt for The Seven Samurai, not to mention some of his other films)
Rio Grande (or really, John Ford's Cavalry Trilogy)
For a Few Dollars More (or really, the Dollar trilogy, though I much prefer Kurosawa's Yojimbo and Sanjuro on which the first two Dollars films were based)
Hondo
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Shane

Some other Westerns I really like didn't make the list. Instead, I decided to put them in an honorable mention (in no particular order) list:
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Oklahoma!
Cat Ballou
Paint Your Wagon
Blazing Saddles
Angel and the Badman
McLintock
Destry Rides Again
The Shootist
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Maverick
Rio Bravo
(then El Dorado, since they're basically the same film)

Oddly, I've not seen Giant, which is on my list of films to watch since it's considered one of the greatest Westerns.

*The original, not the awful remake.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Any of the early Clint Eastwood westerns.
Sergeant Rutledge.
China 9 Liberty 37 with Jenny Agutter.

It's a golden oldie for sure! 😁

The Professionals
Lonesome Dove
Quigley Down Under
Last Train from Gun Hill
Culpepper Cattle Company
Geronimo: An American Legend
Monte Walsh
Ulzana’s Raid
Ride with the Devil

Great scene from Get Shorty where they discuss how similar El Dorado and Rio Bravo are.

A friend of mine's dad was dating Monte Hellman's mother and got me started on his westerns (this would have been quite a while ago). But Hellman and Budd Boetticher are two great western directors who don't get the attention they deserve.

El Dorado--happens to be my favorite of the John Wayne movies.

I'm sure there some great ones I have yet to see but so far here is my top ten, in the order in which they popped into my head.

Tombstone
Silverado
The Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford
Unforgiven
For a Few Dollars More
They Call Me Trinity
3:10 to Yuma (2007)
Dances With Wolves
High Noon

Top Bottom