What's new

Best Western Movie?

Watching my family while they've been sick has brought me closer to my movie library. Tombstone, The Shootist, The Searchers, Outlaw Josey Wales (twice) and every Clint western, Magnificent Seven, and now working my way down Paul Newman movies, heck even The Three Amigos was on in the background while bathing the kids last night.

Anyone have any favorites or what they might enjoy as their favorite Western?

Tombstone:euro: has the slightest of leads over Magnificent Seven:cowboy::2guns: in my book.

Rio Bravo with John Wayne, Dean Martin, Walter Brennan and Ricky Nelson is a classic, and always a favorite of mine. Tombstone, as you have mentioned, is always great.

I thought Appaloosa with Ed Harris that came out a year or two ago was pretty enjoyable.

Legion

Staff member
Wow. Tough choice...

OK. I'm going to REJECT your westerns and go for a southern. (I am Australian, after all.)

I vote for The Proposition (2005). Great film.

The Dollars trilogy, and more specifically: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Same vote here, now i can understand why QT is so in loved with Sergio Leone. :biggrin: Changed my mind about westerns when i watched the $$$ trilogy 3 months back!

I have The Wild Bunch and Once upon a time waiting for me....

I am a huge fan of the Man With No Name series, especially A Fistfull of Dollars and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly which is considered one of the very best of the spaghetti westerns as well as one of the better movies of all time.

Rio Bravo with John Wayne, Dean Martin, Walter Brennan and Ricky Nelson is a classic, and always a favorite of mine.

+1.
IMHO it's kinda hard to do better than Rio Bravo. It has everything: shotgun action, western-style suspense, cheesy humour, human interest, cheap romance, Wayne-macho exuberance, and as a bonus you even get to hear Dean martin and Ricky Nelson singing along...
If it's good enough for John Carpenter it sure is good enough for me!

Wow. Tough choice...

OK. I'm going to REJECT your westerns and go for a southern. (I am Australian, after all.)

I vote for The Proposition (2005). Great film.

what is it with Aussie and that movie. My best friend on my football club is Kiwi and wife is Aussie and play it for me all the time. I couldn't get into it much. Reminds me too much of Russell Crow in 3:10 to Yuma. Accent doesn't go with the movie. But I did like Australia and most Aussies I know hated it. :confused:

what is it with Aussie and that movie. My best friend on my football club is Kiwi and wife is Aussie and play it for me all the time. I couldn't get into it much. Reminds me too much of Russell Crow in 3:10 to Yuma. Accent doesn't go with the movie. But I did like Australia and most Aussies I know hated it. :confused:

I loved The Proposition....kinda reminded me of Unforgiven in a weird way. I was blown away to discover that Nick Cave (of Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds fame) wrote the script.

Anyone that likes westerns owes to themselves to see "Once Upon a Time in the West." Sergio Leone directs, Henry Fonda plays a great VILLAIN (for once), and you also get Charles Bronson and Jason Robards. Oh, and let's not forget Claudia Cardinale. The opening scence is great - but watchout, twenty-somethings, it involves subtle pacing and may not be tolerable to anyone who tires of a film without an explosion every three minutes... ( I have a much younger friend who has been trained by today's films to expect action over acting.)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Anyone that likes westerns owes to themselves to see "Once Upon a Time in the West." Sergio Leone directs, Henry Fonda plays a great VILLAIN (for once), and you also get Charles Bronson and Jason Robards. Oh, and let's not forget Claudia Cardinale. The opening scence is great - but watchout, twenty-somethings, it involves subtle pacing and may not be tolerable to anyone who tires of a film without an explosion every three minutes... ( I have a much younger friend who has been trained by today's films to expect action over acting.)

+1 Great movie!

Also

A fistful of dollars!

Top Bottom