What's new

Best Western Movie?

High Noon but other faves are Unforgiven and the Searchers. Actually the best western is not a western but has a similar story arc and was copied into a western and that is the Seven Samurai!:smile:

High Noon but other faves are Unforgiven and the Searchers. Actually the best western is not a western but has a similar story arc and was copied into a western and that is the Seven Samurai!:smile:

+5

And the classic western had an influence on Kurosawa. When asked what directors he admired, he said he studied the three masters: "John Ford, John Ford, and John Ford." :biggrin:

If you like A Fistful of Dollars, and don't mind subtitles, you might like the movie it was based on, Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo. He also did a follow up, called Sanjuro. And everyone knows about his Seven Samurai, which brings to mind yet another western.

How about the Searchers, Wild Bunch and Tombstone. And last but certainly not least the Unforgiven. IMHO!!!

Rio Bravo with John Wayne, Dean Martin, Walter Brennan and Ricky Nelson is a classic, and always a favorite of mine. Tombstone, as you have mentioned, is always great.

I thought Appaloosa with Ed Harris that came out a year or two ago was pretty enjoyable.

I enjoyed "Riders of the Purple Sage" with Ed Harris, but my all time favorite is "The Good, the bad and the Ugly"

Any of Clint's - the "Dollars" series and Unforgiven at the top.

Never got into the older Westerns, so I don't know much about them.

One I haven't seen mentioned that I really like - "Silverado."

"I'd say that's bold talk for a one eyed fat man" //// "Fill your hands you SOB"
John Wayne and a very young and laking hair Robert Duvall

True Grit
Pale Rider
Lonsome Dove Series
Man with No Name Series

To many to list, but Wayne and Eastwood Rule...

The 1957 version of 3:10 To Yuma is a good one to have on this list.

(The 2007 remake is good as well, I just didn't prefer the new ending.)

Top Bottom