What's new

Old t.v. shows and movies

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Anybody remember Fury? It was about a boy on a ranch and a black horse. Peter Graves played the dad and Fury, the horse, was like an equine Lassie that would save the day. Loved that show as a kid.
He didn't talk about gladiator movies, did he?

Barney Miller, especially after Det. Sgt. Dietrich joins the cast.
The Honeymooners - I did not fully appreciate this show until after I got married.
My Favorite Martian
The Munsters
Gunsmoke - I never planned to watch it, but it always hooked me in.
The Avengers - from 1965 to 1968, with Emma Peel

Duck Soup - the lemonade stand scene with Chico and Harpo never gets old.

I think Green Acres is a love/hate thing. I love the show, my wife and daughters think it's totally stupid. I love the absurd humor - it's a show that actually makes me laugh out loud. It's kind of a reverse fish out of water show where Oliver is seemingly the only sane person in Hooterville though it's denizens are loveably crazy. Having grown up in a small town where agriculture was very prominent, I could relate to the rural theme of the show.
Well, actually, Oliver was the fish, and everybody else (even his wife) was the not-water. She adjusted much sooner than he did, surprisingly.

The bit I remember most about that show was the running gag of the window with " ERVICE IS UR MOTT " on it. The locals always claimed that it was Latin for something, but the translation changed every time they said what they thought it meant.

proxy.php

But then...
Lisa Douglas: [reading an incomplete sign on the Hooterville Telephone Company window] 'Ervice is ur mott.' Do you know what that means in Hungarian? It means that the customer is chopped liver.
Oliver Wendell Douglas: It's supposed to read 'Service is our motto.'
Lisa Douglas: Oh? Do you know what that means in Hungarian?
[Oliver walks to the door]
Lisa Douglas: Don't you want to know it? It's very sexy. People only say it to each other.​

Somebody said that "the Golden Age of Science Fiction is 13", meaning whatever you were reading when you were 13 years old.
I'm sure that TV is like that too.

Last edited:
I'd like to see
Soupy Sales
Rocky & Bullwinkle

I loved Soupy and Rocky.

I'd also like to revisit:

Crusader Rabbit. The precursor to Rocky & Bullwinkle with a rabbit instead of squirrel and Rags the Tiger as the sidekick. The same show with cruder animation. Also the 1st animated show for tv (1949).

Topper (1953-55). I think a lot of these early 50's shows were lost.

Yancy Derringer (1958-59). Besides Yancy having derringers hidden on his person, his Indian sidekick, Pahoo, carried a sawed-off shotgun hidden under his pancho. It was always cool to see Pahoo unload on someone.

Barney Miller, especially after Det. Sgt. Dietrich joins the cast.
The Honeymooners - I did not fully appreciate this show until after I got married.
My Favorite Martian
The Munsters
Gunsmoke - I never planned to watch it, but it always hooked me in.
The Avengers - from 1965 to 1968, with Emma Peel

I remember The Addams Family and The Munsters. Liked both, but liked The Munsters better.

NBC did a pilot for a Munsters reboot some years ago. It was way darker, the characters interacted more plausibly (given who and what they were) with the normal world, and was very funny. Naturally, NBC didn't pick it up as a series.

I loved Soupy and Rocky.

I'd also like to revisit:

Crusader Rabbit. The precursor to Rocky & Bullwinkle with a rabbit instead of squirrel and Rags the Tiger as the sidekick. The same show with cruder animation. Also the 1st animated show for tv (1949).

I still remember their trip to the planet muni-mula (as crusader says to rags, that's aluminum spelled backwards).

Jay Ward before Rocky was picked up..

I remember The Addams Family and The Munsters. Liked both, but liked The Munsters better.

NBC did a pilot for a Munsters reboot some years ago. It was way darker, the characters interacted more plausibly (given who and what they were) with the normal world, and was very funny. Naturally, NBC didn't pick it up as a series.
There was a second Munsters show called "The Munsters Today" that was on from 1988 to 1991. I think I read that this second series actually lasted a little longer than the original one. The second one even had some of the original cast make a guest appearance on it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Yvonne DeCarlo gave the Munsters the edge, in my young opinion.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thanks for the memories of the great shows.
- The Rifle man} great show and Chuck Conners as Lucas & Johnny Crawford as Mark McCain always won with the rifle at the end of the show.
-Have gun will travel} never was sure Paladen was on the good side, most times yes.
-Gunsmoke} just a very entertaining western show with interesting characters(Festus & Sheriff Mat Dillion,Doc Adams,Miss Kitty#1 all of them) IMO.
THE GOOD,BAD & THE UGLY Movie } it just don't get much better than that bunch of actors that played their roles to a tee. Tuco ,Blondie & Angel eyes that became legends.

Topper (1953-55). I think a lot of these early 50's shows were lost.
How about these at archive.org? (4 of them, anyways) - Classic TV : Topper

There's an amazing amount of stuff in the Classic TV archives.
Vintage TV Ads too.
Feature films - including a restored version of Frank Capra's Lost Horizon, one of the first movies I remember ever seeing on TV. I remember being horrified at the notion of throwing all that luggage out of the plane.
See the Prelinger Archives for thousands of weird educational, documentary, propaganda, and public service films. I got lost in there for a few days watching footage of nuclear test shots.

Voyage to the bottom of the Sea was a TV series that ran from 1964 to 1968. If I recall correctly it ran on NBC back to back with Star Trek for a season or two, but I may be wrong about that. It was a loooong time ago. I wouldn't mind seeing Voyage to the bottom of the Sea again. Its been ages and I'd be curious to see how some of the predictions for the future held up.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I miss the American Sportsman. Is that available in any form? The original I mean, with Gowdy, not ESPN's retread.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Voyage to the bottom of the Sea was a TV series that ran from 1964 to 1968. If I recall correctly it ran on NBC back to back with Star Trek for a season or two, but I may be wrong about that. It was a loooong time ago. I wouldn't mind seeing Voyage to the bottom of the Sea again. Its been ages and I'd be curious to see how some of the predictions for the future held up.
That was a good one.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh yes...Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea with Richard Basehart.

There were a lot of stars just starting out on Gunsmoke's 20 year run. Katherine Ross was on again in one I saw tonight as a different character than the other ones. I did a quick search on the stars in it, but this list also left out Jack Elam and Morgan Woodward.

These 60 famous actors all appeared on 'Gunsmoke'

Last edited:
I'm glad my kids got to see some of Rocky & Bullwinkle. It worked on multiple levels. Like the episode where Boris and Natasha fielded an all girls baseball team as part of a nefarious scheme. It had the following short scene.

Rocky: "An all girl team? How can you have fun with a bunch of girls."
Bullwinkle: Pauses a moment. "Boy, this really is a kid's show."
I recall one episode where Bullwinkle goes to college ("Wassamatta U.," of course), and Bullwinkle comments -- in 1961, mind you -- that he and some of the students were going to the student union to protest a speech by Norman Mailer. That would have gone over my head then, but as a grownup it's a delight.

The Fugitive is running once a week on MeTV, and I've been taping them to watch later in the week. Dynamite stuff. Each drama unfolds as it does not just because Kimble is drifting through town, but because he is a fugitive from the law. Either he has to decide whether to do something to help someone, something that would bring him to the attention of the law; or someone in the story realizes he is on the run and takes advantage of it. (Or, in the case of some attractive women, helps him despite his illegal status.)

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was an ABC show, not NBC like Star Trek. In its first or second year it ran opposite The Man from U.N.C.L.E., another NBC show, on Monday nights.

The Rifleman is on MeTV on Saturday afternoons, and during the weekday afternoons too. It was sharp, because Lucas McCain was not a lawman or any kind of anti-hero . . . and yet the stories are still compelling, partly because of the character's relationship with his son Mark, and partly because Connors inhabited that role. He sold it the way Lucy Lawless did Xena many years later. Rifleman and Have Gun -- Will Travel (another superb series that played with standard Western tropes) are to me the gold standard for half-hour TV Westerns.

Green Acres was just plain surreal, and still funny. Arnold Ziffel the pig? Classic stuff.

There is a long-standing dilemma on the Internet, "Which lady would you prefer from [fill in the blank] TV series?" Or 2 TV series in the same genre. For example, Ginger vs. Mary Ann, or Samantha vs. Jeannie, or Bailey vs. Jennifer. Among the horror-themed sitcoms, it would be Lily vs. Morticia. Carolyn Jones -- well, let's just say that I can see why Gomez, as played by John Astin, seemed to be nuts about his own wife, when most TV couples seemed rather sexless even when they showed affection (as in Samantha and Darrin, in the early days of Bewitched).

Top Bottom