What's new

Toothpick trousers, dress shoes without socks

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I think they're modeled more on Pee Wee Herman than any suit from the 60's. When I wear a suit, I want to be able to move while not doing an impression of Bruce Banner becoming the Hulk.
Definitely homage to Pee Wee Herman, and ridiculous in the extreme. IMHO, such Thom Brown hipster-cool crap all belongs back on "Pee Wee's Playhouse."

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
proxy.php

Some kind of necktie or long bandana?
Astaire was known for wearing neckties in lieu of belts.

The short pant suit thing is just experiencing a comeback, nothing new.

May 10, 1953. New York, NY

proxy.php

Vivian Maier, terrific photo exhibit was on display locally earlier his year, real people from the non-romanticized good old days.

http://www.vivianmaier.com/
dave

One wonders what the backstory on this one is. Managed to somehow lose track of his pants, but by golly he managed to keep track of his hat.

Or maybe the caption is two equally under dressed men on the streets of NYC in the later 40s. The man on the right has actually ventured into public without a hat.

One wonders what the backstory on this one is. Managed to somehow lose track of his pants, but by golly he managed to keep track of his hat.

Or maybe the caption is two equally under dressed men on the streets of NYC in the later 40s. The man on the right has actually ventured into public without a hat.

Manhattan avante garde rebels.
dave

Ah. Another Vivian Maier fan?
There was a biographical movie on her, well worth watching. "Finding Vivian Maier", 2013.

Definitely John, seeing prints made from her negatives was jaw dropping. Great exhibit!

Thank you for the heads up on the movie, library has a copies and i've placed a hold for the next available one, they also have five books about her and her work so i'm all set.
dave

I as well am "comfortable in my own skin."
Some of my clothes are back in style. Everything old is new again!
There's a difference between a fashionable man and a stylish man. A man with style will always do better in life than a man of fashion.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well, ..... I most definitely have my own style! Small children sometimes run from me.

The modern gentlemen is a hollow shell, the vintage looks were worn by men who when they had to would take the jacket off and roll the sleeves up and get to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Dude in brown has his sweater tucked into his trousers. Spiffy!

Slender fellas, hard to imagine waist bands that high in this day and age.
dave

Those were the days before the obesity epidemic. Back then, everyone was thin and clothes were roomy. Now, everyone's fat and clothes are skin tight in a losing attempt to make us look thin.

It's popular here amongst the locals mainly, and when you consider it is hot and humid 365 days a year, surely it cannot be comfortable.

Top Bottom