What's new

Dress shoes sans socks and proper trouser length?

I am a relatively late blooming "fashionista", as my wife derisively (with a smirk) calls me, owing to a new job that provides me the opportunity/necessity to wear sport coats with dress shirt and tie.

But my question relates to trousers and is two-fold. Given my new interest in men's dress clothing my wife got me subscriptions to Esquire and GQ. I see many instances where men are wearing dress shoes without socks. Is this a new fad or is this a rather common look that has been in vogue for some time? Also, the reason you cans see the men are not wearing socks is because they obviously are wearing trousers that do not end below the top of their dress shoes.

Which brings me to my second question. Is there a general convention of how long your trouser legs should be? Above the top of the shoe, just touching the front of the shoe at the top lace, or half way down the heal of the shoe? Or is it all just personal preference?

Thanks for the education.

Tim

I have seen this look before, but I would never adopt it myself.

It seems to be a thing that is limited to model-posing by the photographer. I've never seen anyone in real life dressing like this.

As for trouser length, there is a standard that has been in use for a hundred years or more. The length of the trouser should be hemmed so that the pants leg "breaks" at the right point, and the trouser touches the shoe about 2 inches in front of the ankle. Any tailor knows how to measure you and the trousers to create this look.

If you decide to go sockless (please DON'T!) I don't think you need to do anything differently as far as your pants are concerned.

My take is this conceptual behavior is as like children playing at being adults... clueless, but generally harmless, and most will grow out of it. Those that don't will either do something extraordinary or just be less than footnotes to history. Also, as noted, it is a prop of the creative photographer's mindset that the disjointedness of the image will call the viewer's mind to their works. Seriously, DON'T go to a job interview or business meeting dressed like this!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The thought of wearing any shoe without socks gives me the willies. I would think you would have smelly shoes in no time at all.

The thought of wearing any shoe without socks gives me the willies. I would think you would have smelly shoes in no time at all.

On the other hand, your feet would be well ventilated and less subject to the accumulation of sweat.

But I would worry more about my feet becoming blistered and raw from direct contact with the shoe. That would bother me a lot more than the smell.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
On the other hand, your feet would be well ventilated and less subject to the accumulation of sweat.

But I would worry more about my feet becoming blistered and raw from direct contact with the shoe. That would bother me a lot more than the smell.
I used to wear tennis shoes without socks. I found that they got stinky quicker without socks. I think they act as a bit of a buffer.

I have seen this look before, but I would never adopt it myself.

It seems to be a thing that is limited to model-posing by the photographer. I've never seen anyone in real life dressing like this.

As for trouser length, there is a standard that has been in use for a hundred years or more. The length of the trouser should be hemmed so that the pants leg "breaks" at the right point, and the trouser touches the shoe about 2 inches in front of the ankle. Any tailor knows how to measure you and the trousers to create this look.

If you decide to go sockless (please DON'T!) I don't think you need to do anything differently as far as your pants are concerned.

Ha, ha, no worries about me going sockless. I too had the sense that/wondered whether this was just a clothing trend restricted to the pages of a magazine. I have never seen someone out in the real world all dressed up sans socks. Then again, the academic circles in which I travel as a department chair are not known for pushing the inside of the edgy or avant garde fashion envelop.

Tim

Last edited:
It's been a stylish thing the past couple years, but it seems like it is on it's way out. I actually prefer a no break pants look, but I always rock socks. Exposing my ankles isn't going to keep me from sweating in the heat.

Currently, the only shoes I wear without socks, and only on weekends, is a pair of Sperry Top Siders -

$0195412_10.jpg

I love them and thus far I have not found that my feet get too sweaty or that they or the shoes get stinky.

Tim

Top siders destroy the skin on my back heel if they are sans socks. At least until they've broken in from all the blood soaking in. Sperry's demand SACRIFICE!

Top siders destroy the skin on my back heel if they are sans socks. At least until they've broken in from all the blood soaking in. Sperry's demand SACRIFICE!

Ouch, I am sorry to hear that. I must have really lucked out/dodged a bullet since I had no problems going sockless with these top siders from day one.

Tim

When my daughter was a teenager Miami Vice was a popular TV show with youngsters. These 2 guys on the show never wore socks , so lots of teens imitated that style.I warned my daughter not to go sockless (and to always use cotton or wool socks) but she figured what could a father possibly know.Within a year she lost her big toenail do to fungal infection,it took about 15 years to grow back....Socks wick moisture ,no way around it.

That's a tough look to pull off, you need to be in a casual environment to make it work. Important business meeting no, drinks at the boat club after work yes.

It can be done, but its a very casual look. I wouldn't do it with regular dress shoes. Must be some sort of loafer/slip on sort of shoe. You also have to have the right kind of pants too. You will want to have no break or even a high break to pull off the no sock look.

Top Bottom