What's new

Tools Needed for Brush Restoration and Brush Making

I actually think I have a pretty good handle on what I need as in types and in the case of Forstner bits brands, but sizes of Forstner bits in some cases I'm confused and also with regard to lathes I have virtually no clue.

With regard to the following brush, knot sizes what Imperial size Forstner bits are required? I so wish the U.S. had adopted the metric system. I know what I need for 26mm knots and have one on the way.

20mm, 24mm, 25mm

I do very very basic woodworking, for instance, I've recently built brush and razor shelves. However, I've never done any woodturning. I'm not too far from retirement so I'd really like to learn how to use a lathe and to buy one specifically for small items like brush handles beginning with wooden handles and possibly at some point resin and/or acrylic.

What would be a good beginner lathe that I can begin looking for used that hopefully, I could continue using even after I have become proficient? One more thing I don't have a lot of space so a desktop lathe maybe some kind of midi or mini would probably be best.

Tom.

If you will be using a lathe, don't worry about the forstner bit size. drill as close as possible and make the whole bigger using a parting tool and deeper to get the preferred look. speaking from experience as I did not have the correct size bit when I turned the brush just last weekend.

For the lathe
I started wood turning two years ago on an old Craftsman mid lather (10 inch long), that I mounted on a small table. bought it for $80
I would suggest looking at craigslist for a small lathe if you want to start, or I heard decent reviews for the harbor freight lathe, and it does fit on top of a work bench....but DO NOT GO CHEAP ON THE TOOLS.

I started with cheap everything to see if I liked it, and just like straight razors, ending up loving it and spending beaucoup money on chucks and better tools, especially on the dead center and gouges. I now turn brushes (see pic), pens, duck calls, bowls, bottle stopper etc.. and have rarely felt that I needed a bigger lather, just better tools.
just like any hobby, cheap tools will make it less enjoyable. Worst case you can resell the tools if you don't take to it
(or mail them to me).
one thing to consider, unless you have a dedicate shop and a good ventilation system, is that you will need a dust collector at some point, your lungs and everything else will thank you for it. you can find used ones on craigslist all the time. I ended up with a monster one for 400. just had to wire a 220v in the garage, but it doubles as a car vaccum and drowns out the kids yelling in the background.
Also just like straight razors, there is a learning curve, but once you get it it is a blast.
oh yeah, dont say I did not warn you, but you will also end up buying a pressure pot for resin casting (look up Zack Higgins on you tube and all the cool stuff he does with resin and wood) and I would recommend a vaccum pot to infuse the wood with resin (stabilizing the wood makes it harder and I feel more water resistant)
20180903_155457[1].jpg

If you can find an old used Craftsman or Delta lathe jump on it. Variable speed is nice, reverse even nicer but neither are necessities. 8” or 10” swingover is all you need for what you want to make. As for tools, I recommend avoiding carbide tip even though they’re easier to use - at first. They tear the heck out of the grain and since you’ll be starting with wood brushes that’s not good. A round carbide is nice for resin but not necessary. Learn to use a skew and spindle gouge properly, there are a ton of videos on youtube. Buy HSS steel, not the carbon crap from Harbor Freight because they don’t sharpen nearly as well, are easy to blue the steel when sharpening which causes the steel to lose its temper, and they don’t hold an edge for jack. Check out some Benjamin’s Best or any other house brand HSS tools from Craft Supplies USA or Penn State Industries, etc. to save money. A bit more will get you nicer Sorby tools which are my mainstay and a great tool for the money. A 3/4” or 1” skew and 3/8” spindle gouge are good sizes to start with. Also get a parting tool and a roughing gouge. You can rough small square blanks with a skew but it’s far easier for a beginner to use a roughing gouge. You’ll also need a way to sharpen your tools. If you go with a grinder low speed is a better choice than standard speed. A jig isn’t necessary but will help considerably for sharpening. It takes a few bucks to get started, but you don’t have to mortgage the farm and get the best of everything. A few good tools, a reliable lathe and sharpening system (used is just fine for both), a jacob’s chuck (drill chuck for the lathe) and a decent scroll chuck will be enough to make a lot more than just shaving gear (lidded boxes being a favorite of mine). Brian Havens, Mike Waldt, and many others have fantastic Youtube videos for the beginning turner so check them out.

I sharpened my tools for a while on a flat glass and sand paper up to 2000 grit (sounds like honing) but used an angle jig for the correct angles. I ended up getting a bench grinder.... I agree on carbides.i made one and I rarely use it. I use my SORBY gouge more than anything else and a skew.
I love Mike Waldt as well as Wyomingwoodturner. They take the time to explain techniques. Zach Higgins talks a lot about resin casting and is a great source.
Facebook and craigslist are a great place for free wood/logs and i also buy some exotic wood when I can afford it.
Depending where you live you may have tons of variety, burl and spalted. I live in NC. I have oak, oak and oak.
Good luck and let us know what you end up doing

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Is a full size lathe too big for making brush handles? My father has a full size wood lathe that is doing nothing at the moment and to be honest I did not know that he even had it. It came up in conversation that he has it wrapped up in the shed tucked under some other oddments.

Not at all...you can use it to make a tiny xmas ornament if you wanted to....
If you dont want to use the large lathe, I'll trade you my midi :001_tongu

Large is not a problem. No matter what size you need to make sure you have the right accessories to handle the work you intend to do. The right chuck, the right tailstock, etc.

No such thing as a lathe being too big. If nothing else they actually run smoother than smaller lathes because the extra weight and quality materials that go into making them. Less vibration means more accurate work on the small stuff, where it matters the most.

The only reason I need a smaller lathe is I live in a Manufactured Home that doesn't have a lot of outside space, but I do have a long one car garage and have to keep and use it in there. Otherwise, I would buy a full-size lathe.

Also, I want to thank everyone for the replies. I appreciate it lot.

Tom. I hear ya.
My "Shop" is in my garage with limited space as well. I actually built a swivel table where I bolted the midi lathe on one side and a table saw on the underside.... I can swivel the table to get to each tool while saving garage space. works very well. build with some 2x4 and a metal pipe

If you’ve got the money One Way makes an awesome small lathe for about $2500. It’s built like a fullsize only.... smaller. Hit the lottery? Robust has a small lathe with stainless steel ways that will never rust for a grand more, with an optional 2HP motor for even more bucks! Regardless of what you go with, you’ll want variable speed, trust me on this. I use a Rikon 70-220VSR (and I believe Graydog has the same one) and while I like it, I wish I would have spent more on a Jet. The tailstock started giving me issues after a year which makes drilling on the lathe a pain, at least when an accurate hole (like exactly 10.5mm for a pen) is needed, but it’s fine for brushes where 0.5mm variation doesn’t mean squat. I also have to switch pulleys to sand at a lower speed, the fastest pulley starts at 1300 which is far too fast for sanding. The Jet will allow you to turn small spindles and sand without switching pulleys, something you can’t appreciate until you’ve switched pulleys a few hundred times... Otherwise the Rikon is a great lathe for the money, you can get it with a stand for a bit less than the same size Jet without a stand, and their customer service is fantastic.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
This is how I started out when my Oldest Son Seth bought this for my Birthday $135 is what he paid at Harbor Freight
The chisels I picked up of the bay
20161212_132257.jpg

If you’ve got the money One Way makes an awesome small lathe for about $2500. It’s built like a fullsize only.... smaller. Hit the lottery? Robust has a small lathe with stainless steel ways that will never rust for a grand more, with an optional 2HP motor for even more bucks! Regardless of what you go with, you’ll want variable speed, trust me on this. I use a Rikon 70-220VSR (and I believe Graydog has the same one) and while I like it, I wish I would have spent more on a Jet. The tailstock started giving me issues after a year which makes drilling on the lathe a pain, at least when an accurate hole (like exactly 10.5mm for a pen) is needed, but it’s fine for brushes where 0.5mm variation doesn’t mean squat. I also have to switch pulleys to sand at a lower speed, the fastest pulley starts at 1300 which is far too fast for sanding. The Jet will allow you to turn small spindles and sand without switching pulleys, something you can’t appreciate until you’ve switched pulleys a few hundred times... Otherwise the Rikon is a great lathe for the money, you can get it with a stand for a bit less than the same size Jet without a stand, and their customer service is fantastic.

This is how I started out when my Oldest Son Seth bought this for my Birthday $135 is what he paid at Harbor Freight
The chisels I picked up of the bay View attachment 911993

I really appreciate these replies. I've also been doing a lot of research on my own and I think I'm really going to keep my eyes peeled for a Jet. In the meantime, though an opportunity has opened to do me that frankly has the chance to open up new possibilities for me - so for a while I may delay the pursuit for a lathe because I'm a horrible multi-tasker. The new opportunity that has opened may actually hasten my retirement from my current employer for very good reasons. It's a somewhat time-sensitive opportunity so I'm going to focusing on it until things get established.

Say, has anybody heard from Jay a.k.a. CigarSmoka lately?
He hasn't visited the site in nearly a couple of months.
I hope all is well with him.

Top Bottom