What's new

Toggle -First Shave

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Good Morning Adam, She definitely made it to the top shelf, 9 razors stay there:) The RFB is going to be hard to unseat :)
I have to use her more , Today She gave me another outstanding shave this time with a brand new Feather
Very smooth and close ! BBS no problem .
I used the Donkey Milk soap from MERShaving again ,great post shave feel .
Dave really knows how to make a great soap.
How did you manage to find 2 Toggles ?
What setting are you using it at?

I'd like to try Mershaving if theres an unscented version.

The 2 toggles? What have you been reading????[emoji16]

I found one when looking for feeler gauges at the flea market. I asked a guy with tools if he had any and he told me there was a set right next to those old razors. Imagine my surprise to see it, a fatboy, and a single ring....5 bucks each. Has some brassing but still in good shape.

The second was 1 mile down the road at an antique shop, a year later. Paid a bit more for that one. Still way below market value. But, it is the nicer of the two. She was in a display case, lever up, and doors open. It was like she was waiting for me to take her home.

Yours is even nicer, IMO. Glad you found one!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I am still trying different settings and different blades
So far I am liking 3-4 with a Feather and the same for the Spoiler blades
Did You purchase the feeler gauges ?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I am still trying different settings and different blades
So far I am liking 3-4 with a Feather and the same for the Spoiler blades
Did You purchase the feeler gauges ?
That is where I like mine.

Funny enough, I did not. They were in horrible condition![emoji23]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I also had my inaugural very first Toggle shave this morning. Set at ‘3’ and loaded with a Feather just like my other Gillette adjustables. And I was rewarded with a perfect 3-pass shave :)

It’s very interesting to hold the razor during the shave, due to Toggle lever. And the mechanics have a very different feel with the spring effect when opening it and inserting the blade.

...Still, full disclosure, shavewise I don’t think that it did something my beloved Slim doesn’t. But still an awesome looking beast with very nice heft!

Last edited:
...Still, full disclosure, shavewise I don’t think that it did something my beloved Slim doesn’t. But still an awesome looking beast with very nice heft!

Yes, but isn't part of the pleasure of shaving with a rare, or highly sought after razor the joy of acquiring it & using it? It's not necessarily that the razor is going to provide a superior shave.

So I had My First Shave with My New "Eleanor" Toggle !
I am Very excited to finally have one :) The Shave was great and I can't wait until tomorrows shave .
Vintage Gillette Toggle D-1
Donkey Milk Shaving Soap from MERshaving
Vintage Gillette "Spoiler" Blade (3)
ck be cologne
Graydog "Patches" 26mm Faux Boar Brush.

Outstanding results Smooth efficient and just so much Fun !
I felt like a kid at Christmas.
MERshaving soap was Amazing ,The Donkey Milk along with other Ingredients
gave Me a post shave feeling that was out of this world ,no need for any shave balm
at all . The Scent that was used in this was that of CK be cologne one of my Favorites
Thanks MERShaving great stuff you have there.View attachment 936103
Just now noticing. Congratulations on obtaining a razor from your dreams. Nothing better. :a14:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I also had my inaugural very first Toggle shave this morning. Set at ‘3’ and loaded with a Feather just like my other Gillette adjustables. And I was rewarded with a perfect 3-pass shave :)

It’s very interesting to hold the razor during the shave, due to Toggle lever. And the mechanics have a very different feel with the spring effect when opening it and inserting the blade.

The Shave should always be the biggest reason that you use the Razor
But The Beauty and the engineering that went into the development of Gillettes adjustables
it is just Amazing to Me . If I couldn't use different Razors it would be just shaving , like brushing your teeth just something you have to do .
I was expecting a Fatboy kinda shave , I was pleasantly surprised :) I love My Fatboy
it is one of My Favorite Shavers . I usually set My Fatboy at 5 thru 7 and BBS all the way.
In Toggle land all I need is 3-4 for BBS :) Like you said in the end the same result :)

Yes, but isn't part of the pleasure of shaving with a rare, or highly sought after razor the joy of acquiring it & using it? It's not necessarily that the razor is going to provide a superior shave.

The Shave should always be the biggest reason that you use the Razor
But The Beauty and the engineering that went into the development of Gillettes adjustables
it is just Amazing to Me . If I couldn't use different Razors it would be just shaving , like brushing your teeth just something you have to do .
I was expecting a Fatboy kinda shave , I was pleasantly surprised :) I love My Fatboy
it is one of My Favorite Shavers . I usually set My Fatboy at 5 thru 7 and BBS all the way.
In Toggle land all I need is 3-4 for BBS :) Like you said in the end the same result :)

Completely agree, gents - “If I couldn’t use different razors it would just be shaving” - perfectly stated! I change razor almost every day - loving it!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
So here goes a shave off
Donkey Soap and a 2 Band Badger and Warm Lather
Vintage Gillette D-1 Toggle
VS
The Vector from Blackland Razors (on loan to Me)
The D-1 with a Feather blade (2) was very ,very smooth did I say it was smooth:thumbup: and very close
on the right side of my face BBS no problem !
On the left side I used The Vector with a Schick Proline P-30
Again Smooth but not as smooth as the Toggle ,Very Close ,but again not as close as the Toggle .
Don't get Me wrong the Vector is a super nice shaver, close and Comfortable BBS all the way !
It is just the Toggle was a little better overall .It's MY FACE Rule goes into effect here .
Both Razors gave Me a Great shave
3-SWR_2711.JPG

So here goes a shave off
VS
The D-1 with a Feather blade (2) was very ,very smooth did I say it was smooth:thumbup: and very close
Again Smooth but not as smooth as the Toggle ,Very Close ,but again not as close as the Toggle .
Don't get Me wrong the Vector is a super nice shaver, close and Comfortable BBS all the way !
It is just the Toggle was a little better overall .It's MY FACE Rule goes into effect here .
Both Razors gave Me a Great shave View attachment 936839
Thanks for helping me resist buying a Vector. I'll just stay with my Toggle.

So here goes a shave off
VS
Both Razors gave Me a Great shave View attachment 936839

Great write up amigo. Now I HAVE to find me a toggle. Just when I said to myself 2019 was going to be a no-buy year on razors. Then I had to read this......

Enablers!! :a52: :censored: :a52: :censored:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Great write up amigo. Now I HAVE to find me a toggle. Just when I said to myself 2019 was going to be a no-buy year on razors. Then I had to read this......

Enablers!! :a52: :censored: :a52: :censored:

Gus that's sorta Funny reading that you wrote that ,,,,,,,,Enablers all around us :)

Last edited:
Gus that's sorta Funny reading that you wrote that ,,,,,,,,Enablers all around us :)

You ain't kidding brother. Enablers all around. But, seriously I think what really is pulling at me with this is, as you have stated before Steve I think in this thread is the history and the engineering behind the toggle. Gillete pulled off one heck of a creation, design and implementation with the tools and machinery that was available at the time. Nothing to sneeze at there....

The hunt begins January 1st......

Top Bottom