What's new

Todd's 50-54 Weight Loss Plan - 25 lbs Down Already

Okay lads, I didn't want to do this but I was just too happy last night.

I came home from work and got ready to work out and decided to hit the scales against my better judgement. 210lbs! I've done it.50 lbs before my birthday.

Now to keep things real I won't truly claim it til I see a week or so at 208 or thereabouts. Still, this is a major milestone for me. Seven and one half months since I started. Three and a half stone off my frame. If I can make 50 lbs then surely I can make 54 and move the goalposts to 60! I'm doing it lads. I just have to stay focused.

Well done Phog.

I am in the middle of a weight loss program myself and I found it tough at first, now it has become a way of life. This is my first diet since I was 22 years old, at that time I was a boxer at 175 pounds and 6 foot 2, my diet at that time was all protein and salads, I boxed hard at the weekends and office work during the week. An injury to my right wrist stopped the boxing at 26, took up cycling and motorcycle racing at a club level - I was just too big to be competitive nationally but you would not believe how bad paddock food was at that time, if you didnt like bacon sandwiches or pork pies then you went hungry

Like yourself I began to realize, much later in life, that the pounds were coming back and on January 1, I decided to do something about it and stopped all carbs and most sugars including alcohol. Now lost 19 pounds and have another 20 to go, I am 10 years older than you and the weight becomes harder to lose the older you become.

I know the professionals tell you that you should not get weighed every day, but that is my motivation although I was surprised to see that on two consecutive days mid January that my weight increased by 5 pounds each day with no change in diet.

So Phog keep us in the picture, I hope that we can both reach our target weights sooner rather than later.

Congrats! That's fantastic!

I'm just now getting back on the horse, so to speak, so I've got a ways to go, but I love reading the success stories.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Okay lads, I didn't want to do this but I was just too happy last night.

I came home from work and got ready to work out and decided to hit the scales against my better judgement. 210lbs! I've done it.50 lbs before my birthday.

Now to keep things real I won't truly claim it til I see a week or so at 208 or thereabouts. Still, this is a major milestone for me. Seven and one half months since I started. Three and a half stone off my frame. If I can make 50 lbs then surely I can make 54 and move the goalposts to 60! I'm doing it lads. I just have to stay focused.
Good show. I hope I can stay as focused as you.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well done Phog.

I am in the middle of a weight loss program myself and I found it tough at first, now it has become a way of life. This is my first diet since I was 22 years old, at that time I was a boxer at 175 pounds and 6 foot 2, my diet at that time was all protein and salads, I boxed hard at the weekends and office work during the week. An injury to my right wrist stopped the boxing at 26, took up cycling and motorcycle racing at a club level - I was just too big to be competitive nationally but you would not believe how bad paddock food was at that time, if you didnt like bacon sandwiches or pork pies then you went hungry

Like yourself I began to realize, much later in life, that the pounds were coming back and on January 1, I decided to do something about it and stopped all carbs and most sugars including alcohol. Now lost 19 pounds and have another 20 to go, I am 10 years older than you and the weight becomes harder to lose the older you become.

I know the professionals tell you that you should not get weighed every day, but that is my motivation although I was surprised to see that on two consecutive days mid January that my weight increased by 5 pounds each day with no change in diet.

So Phog keep us in the picture, I hope that we can both reach our target weights sooner rather than later.

Congrats! That's fantastic!

I'm just now getting back on the horse, so to speak, so I've got a ways to go, but I love reading the success stories.
Good job, guys.

Another small update. Still holding at 50 pounds lost. Cardio six mornings per week. Leg work M, W, F. Upper body Tuesdays and Saturdays. I have started ttaking Thursdays out of that routine since I was not recuperating the muscles enough.

I have 38 days left til my birthday so I hope to get at least 4 more pounds off by May 1. That would 54 total. One for each year I have trod this old earth.

Thanks for sharing your journey, and congratulations on your success. You have inspired me to try for 20lbs by 40.

Well done, it has taken me 90 days to lose 20 pounds, I feel better for it which means that exercise is easier.

Given up all potatoes, sugar, chocolate, alcohol, soda.

Biggest weight losses were at the beginning of course, each new pound of weight loss takes about 4-6 days to achieve, I would still like to lose another 10 pounds.

Bought a set of weights, and saw a rapid improvement in muscle tone but a lot of pain in my shoulders and elbows so that workout is now every other day with a one mile run, two mile fast walk in between.

Keep going bro.

Just had a browse through this thread. This is good news. Really. Well done!

Health advice is as wide, as long and as conflicting as anything can be. May I give my pennies worth...

Fasting is an absolute miracle cure for all sorts of ailments, a health booster and weight loss. The reason for the weight loss part is that when a person fasts, the metabolism goes up, and after the fast, it stays up. So a person still loses weight on regualer calories. Calorie restriction has a lowering effect on metabolism. After a calorie restricted diet, the metabolism stays low. A person then gains weight on regular calories.

Watch, 'Eat, Fast and Live Longer,' I think it's on YouTube. Goes into much more detail.

However, I truly salute you sir. I have had high weight also in the past. So, believe me... Well Done! Feels great to lose weight!

My personal 3 keys for top health:

1 - Fasting
2 - Kettlebells
3 - Cold Showers

Thanks gents. It is tough at times. You have to discipline yourself.

Vacuumatic, I hear you about the shoulder pain. I noticed after a month or so of weights I was barely able to use the chest press machine or bicep curls without a LOT of discomfort. I believe it is called the anterior deltoid but I am unsure. Anyroad, it burned a bit as did my bicep and whstever the forearm muscle is called. I quickly realised I had and was overdoing it. I dropped back on weight til I got past the 'injury' and was able to work my way back up to an even greater weight and more reps than before.
Now I can do a tiring upper body workout without hurting.

I agree about not starving yourself either. Your body will certainly go into self-preservation mode. And I will look up that YouTube video too.

Mini update. Still holding an honest 50 lbs of weight loss. I started 15, July of last year. So about nine months in. I have 13 days to manage another 4 pounds if I want to make it one pound per year on earth. Likely I won't make it but it would have been neat.

I do notice that I am leaner if not lighter. No kidding. My clothing is just a bit looser than last month but the scales haven't moved. So I am claiming some lean muscle added. Anyroad, that's my story. If I don't make the birthday date, then I wil make it by the year anniversary in July. You can do it guys.

Gentelmen, D-Day so to speak, is here. My stated goal was 50 pounds of weight loss by May 1. I am here to report that I have done it. Plus 5 more! I hit the scales and was at 205lbs. Down from 260lbs on 15 July, 2016. I cannot begin to tell you how glad this makes me. 9-1/2 months of work but well worth it. And I am not done yet.

Lets recap how I managed this. First up, the usual disclaimers about health issues, doctor approval, common sense, etc apply. Do some homework before the gym work. Diet work for that matter as well. Particularly for those with diabetes concerns or similar. I am not a doctor, exercise guru nor anything else. Just a chunky butt who was determined to lose weight.

First and most important; DO SOMETHING. Just get started and stick to something.

Next up would be diet vs workout. I will be frank here. The gym really doesn't take weight off of you. Putting down the fork does. Yes the gym burns calories. A very good thing. But you cannot work off a couple of thousand extra calories all the time. And I don't care what 'experts' say, your body can and will hit plateaus. I had not increased my food intake nor lessened my workout but it took me five and a half months to lose the last 15 pounds when I had lost the first 40 in four months to the day. I stayed at 50 pounds lost for nearly a month. Then my body cranked it up again the last two weeks and somehow dropped five more pounds. It happens. It is why I stay off the scales but maybe once a week or so. When I hit a new milestone like this latest I will weigh two or three times per week to see if it is really taking or just a downward spike.

Speaking of scales, I don't know what the experts say but for the first couple of months, after the initial weigh in, I just stayed off of them. I was worried about getting hung up on numbers. I just went til I could tell a major difference in the looseness of clothing. It worked for me but may not for you.

Going back to food. Restaurants. This is the only real devil I find in food. I just stay out of the fast food kind almost altogether. I have had a half dozen things from fast food since starting and EVERY SINGLE TIME it nearly made me nauseous. I am not joking. After a month or so I could not stand the stuff and rarely touch it. I don't miss it and every time I stop to get the family an item or two I just lose my appetite at the window. It is very easy now for me to say chuck it. I don't want or need it.

Other than that, I have taken almost nothing away from the diet. Oh sure, I don't hit ice cream and other high density fats very often but I also realised it was a biproduct of not eating high fat fast food. Your body does not crave or deal well with it after you wean yourself off. I still make cheesecakes, pies, etc. And homemade bread every week. I simply don't eat a lot of it at a time. Biscuits and gravy? On the menu. I just have one biscuit and one big spoon of gravy. Now it's rather easy to moderate intake and over eating is a big no no since I feel bloated and rather terrible afterward.

Gym. I do hit the gym typically six days per week. 30 minutes of pretty hard cardio on the elliptical trainer each morning and about an hour of resistance each evening. I did lay off the upper body workout three times per week. It is down to two since I was not allowing enough time to heal between each session. God has a humour with guys over 50. You cannot build muscle like young guys and what you have does not recover as quickly. Fact of life. The gym is great for conditioning but that is what it is. If you eat poorly and guzzle beer and soda, you are not going to see much improvement.

So there we go lads. 55 pounds in nine and a half months. Much better overall health and feeling. Absolutely better physique. I am now wider through the chest than tummy. Yeah! And I am not done. I am more determined to maintain this regimen for health's sake. I had open heart surgery at 37 to fix birth defects. I am a few decades delinquent on the health payments. So there it is; now to it. To quote Rob Schneider; You can do it!

Top Bottom